SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benderrdrookie

Rewiring

benderrdrookie
14 years ago

Hi all, I'm new here and this is my very first post. Hoping I can learn a lot and find answers to all my old home questions!

My fiance and I are in the process of closing on an 1867 double plank farmhouse. The first floor has most of the remodeling done other than the most expensive part -- the kitchen! The upstairs has no remodeling done and there are no overhead lights and only one outlet in each of the four bedrooms. Not acceptable for today's standards and needs. The walls are plaster and lathe upstairs (most have been removed downstairs). My main question is what is the best way to rewire the upstairs for more modern conveniences? My brother works for a contractor and he said he has seen it where you turn 2x4's sideways and insulate and wire directly over the plaster and lathe eliminating the need to rip it out and thereby saving the insulation value. Has anyone ever tried this or heard of it?

Would love to hear as many comments as possible! We are moving in a couple of weeks and would like to get started on the upstairs pretty quickly.

Thanks!

Comments (16)