SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olympia776

Two cabinet heights/what to do with windows below counter height

olympia776
10 years ago

I've got a house built in 1939 and have windows in the corner of my kitchen. The PO had a table in this corner and in an imaginary world I'd love to have a banquette but I really need the space for working - the space is 6' long. Right now I'm using a big Boos island table in the space and it's great for functionality but it's not the right feel or look for the space long term.

My issue is that the windows are about 3 inches below counter height... Possible solutions that I've wondered about are building in cabinets and leaving a "reserve" behind where the windowsills are for plants. Having a lower height bank of cabinets say 33" or possibly 30"? Seeing if it's all possible to have just the lower part of the windows remade to be just a few inches shorter and replacing just the bottom portion of the window.

Where the new counter would meet the windowsills would be a concern.

As I mentioned we're not even done with this round of projects - I need to paint the walls and tile the backsplash. I'm also hoping to add stacked cabinets above my uppers (there are only three). And a million other little things like finishing trim, adding windowsills, more painting, etc.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Comments (4)