SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maisoui1_gw

can I have 2 different wood floor colors upstairs and downstairs

maisoui1
12 years ago

We have wood floors on most of both levels of our house. On the first floor there was some discoloration due to rug placement by the prior owners. Plus the floors in the house are light and we have always liked darker floors. Recently the floor on the first floor has been looking a little worn. We spoke to a flooring guy who says the only option of reviving the floor is to refinish it. Here is the problem. The flooring upstairs is in good shape and doesn't need to be refinished. If I am going to go to the trouble of sanding and refinishing the flooring on the first floor then I would want to change the color and go darker. I don't know if it will be weird having dark color on the first floor and light on the stairs and the upstairs. In addition to the upstairs being in good shape it is prefinished wood (with bevelled edges)so the floor guy says that if they sand for us to change the color the space between the grooves is going to end up being too wide and won't look good so I would be better off replacing it instead of refininshing it. I would prefer to not swap out a perfectly good floor if I could get away with the 2 different colors on the different floors. That said I don't want the house to look schizophrenic. Could I maybe do the first floor darker then keep the color on the stairs and upstairs but maybe do the banisters and the part of the stairs facing you as you go up the stairs (can't remember what you call that part of the step). Any thoughts and or pictures to share if you have done something similar? Thanks.

Comments (13)