SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjmama_gw

funcolors - question for you

kjmama
14 years ago

Hi Funcolors - my goodness, your posts are so helpful! - I was wondering if you would offer your thoughts on my painting....:)

We are painting a house long distance and chose EK Sage for the main living rooms and EK aqua for the hallway and opposing dining room. So visiting in person, the EK Sage is awesome, but the aqua did not work. It is a beautiful color, but just did not work with the Sage (too bright, not the right tone).

Anyhow, we are going to repaint both the hall and dining room. I was considering just extending the Sage into the hall at 75%, BUT the tile in the hall is kind of pink. I read a post of nuxemego (or something) where you commented on the color of the paint with the carpet. SO - what do you think it would do with our tile.... The bottom is BM Arcadia White

Second, I was thinking of doing EK Olive in the dining room on top (BM Arcadia White on bottom).... After one mishap, I'm now very nervous. Will that "go" with Sage and what do you think about the darker tone in terms of "flow"? (We have EK Parchment in the kitchen, next to dining room.

Thank you, Thank you for your thoughts!

Here is our "bust"

It looks pretty good in the photo, but in person, the blue is so bright:

{{gwi:1583985}}From on the other side

Here is the entry tile prior to any painting:

{{gwi:1583986}}From on the other side

Comments (8)

• lawcrew
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have you tried restoration hardware colors. I love them. I made mistakes used pottery barn colors and aura 60.00 a gallon four gallons unused. trust me I could give you paint. since I have used restoration light silver sage I am happy and get lots of compliments. my husband loves their paint and is happy not to repaint. Light silver sage it a little darker than what you have and it looks great with the other colors you have. i will try to post pictures tom. good luck

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I agree with lawcrew, silver sage would look very pretty with what you have now and I also had good experiences with the paint (and I was hesitant to steer away from BM or SW). It went on nice and left a smooth, velvet like finish.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. I had actually thought about the silver sage, but after being at the house, and thinking more, it felt a bit cold to me. Do you have pics of your home with it?

I am drawn to the olive color and thought the sage would sort of just help the flow. Wondering what will happen with that pink tile......

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I was considering just extending the Sage into the hall at 75%. Anyhow, we are going to repaint both the hall and dining room

Wondering what will happen with that pink tile......

Won't know for sure until you try it. If you have leftover Sage at 100%, might want to try painting a wall and see what happens. Odds are that Sage at 75% will *do* the same thing relative to the pinky tile. If you want to know for absolute certain, you have to get a tester of Sage @ 75%... but I would change the DR first. I'll explain later in the post.

With pinky-beige anything, carpet, tile, counter tops, it pays to work with it a bit to see what happens because it can be manipulated. As we all saw with nuxemego's "pinky beige" carpet. In her case it turned out that the pinky beige carpet wasn't really pinky-beige after all. It just looked that way because of the context it was living in. Once she moved the carpet into other rooms and changed the wall color near it, basically changed the context in which the carpet was viewed, it did not appear "pinky". Architectural color can be full of surprises and is never boring! :)

One of two things happens every single time with pinky-beige. Either what was thought to be a "pinky-beige" turns out not so pink after all or the most unappealing aspects of the pinky-beige lunges forward and the color just isn't pretty. The rules of engagement for pinky-beige are not cut-n-dry. It's not totally about what colors are supposed to "go" with it or not. That's only part of the story.

The other part of the story is the light. Light is boss and it is within that dimension of color where it is decided what's going to happen -- either the pinky turns into pleasing or pinky turns into ick. Light is boss. And most people do not have the capacity to step into a room and "read the light" -- like, it's not a skill most people need to use on a daily basis, ya know? :~)

So, the best you can do is experiment with the logical options and just *see* how it goes. See what happens. I would try painting the dining room Olive first -- leave the hallway Aqua... and see what happens. Can always paint the hallway @75% Sage after the DR i done in Olive.

As far as partnering up Sage and Olive -- I love it. I absolutely think they will *go* together. If Sage is working for you in the new home's light, pretty good bet you're going to feel the same way about Olive in the dining room. It will be a lot of green, contrast will be minimal and flow (as they say) will be a rather quiet transition from room to room. Especially if you end up with Sage @75% instead of Aqua in the hallway.

I love the combo of Aqua and Sage (and maybe Olive too). The current pic is very pretty. But it has to feel fabulous too. I admire you for aknowledging what's working for you and what's not.

Trusting your gut and putting that first in order to get the colors right is a far better use of your energies than dwelling on the mis-step with Aqua and spinning your wheels trying to force it to work for you. Yes, you have to find a new color and yes it's a repaint. In the end, it will be worth it.

It will be worth it because wall color is the armature of atmosphere. Atmosphere does not come from a chair or a rug or strategially placed shiny doo-dads (a.k.a decorating). Wall color influences atmosphere more than anything else due to the fact that its volume is physically enveloping and it commands more three-dimensional visual real estate than anything else in the room. I'd like to see a bowl of green apples, a rug, or 'the perfect ottoman' do that. ;~D

• kjmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you funcolors. I appreciate your thoughtful reply and encouragement. I am in a bit of an anxious mode since we misstepped. We got the colors back out again.... just considering all things.

What do you think of cafe au lait or perret ivory with with the sage? We're still considering the olive - just making sure we've thought through this well.:)

• kjmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

any colors you would recommend?

• kjmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I didn't see this before. I need to take a look in better light and get back to you. For some reason Perret Ivory isn't ringing a bell with me -- I need to find that color chip...