SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

How to clean stubbornly stained vintage glasses

mahatmacat1
15 years ago

I found some really beautiful little handblown modern stemless cordial glasses in a fabulous shade of ruby red, but they are either dirty or etched or something...I've tried pretty much all of our usual standbys to get rid of a white line area just under the rim of the glass, but nothing works. I remember reading about some dishwasher additive that made that particular kind of white line go away, but I don't want to put these in the dishwasher.

Does anyone know of any miracle chemical to make these lines go away? Thanks. If all else fails, I'll smash them for mosaics, but I really do like them in this form and would love to keep them this way.

Comments (24)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I understand that polident does a great job on glass. Just fill with water and pop in a tab and let soak.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Not polident, the other stuff you use to clean dentures. LOL, I need to get to bed. Good thing I don't wear dentures or I'd be in big trouble.

• Related Discussions

How Do I Clean Stain Glass?

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi, I seem to recall that there were "chandelier cleaning kits" that came with a spray solution and a kind of upside-down umbrella catchment device. You would hang the umbrella and spray on the cleaner, the dirt would run off and be caught. Were this a particularly old and valuable stained glass shade, I would probably recommend a professional conservation approach to cleaning, but seeing as how it's a repro, modern methods would suffice. You may need a toothbrush to get into the corners, and a final polishing with good ol' windex and a microfiber should get it as new. Casey
    ...See More

? Re Cleaning Vintage White Linens

Q

Comments (3)
    Nothing with clorox in it!! I would suggest oxy clean, but it will definitly fade the color in any colored embroidery. I would suggest going to a feed store or somewhere that sells quilting supplies and get Orvis...it's a non ionic soap... lay your linens out on a flat pan in a solution of Orvis and distilled water....not tap water....and let them soak for 2, 3 or 4 days. Remove from the soak carefully....wet cloth is weak....support the bottom and rinse in more distilled water....over and over until all runs clear... Do not hang to dry....carefully lay flat on lots of clean towels... But...it would help to know how old the linens are....stuff from 1950 nees less care than stuff from 1860. Linda C
    ...See More

How to clean sharpie marker off glass scraps

Q

Comments (2)
    Alcahol on a rag will remove the sharpie on contact.If your doing a mosaic just ignore it as the aplication of grout will clean it all off.
    ...See More

How to clean turmeric stains on hardwood floor?

Q

Comments (3)
    Mix dishwashing detergent with hot water to make suds foam. Swish to make lots of foam. Dip cloth in foam and apply foam to the numeric stain. Wait a few minutes and then rinse with clean damp cloth & water. When dry, polish or wax. If this does not work, it may be a permanent stain.
    ...See More
  • donnawb
    15 years ago

Have you tried vinegar.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies -- we tried vinegar but maybe I need more concentrated. I tried the standard white vinegar like you can get in the supermarket. Is there something stronger?

And brutuses, not being a denture girl myself, I'm trying to think of what you mean. Do you mean the stuff that fizzes and you drop the teeth into a glass? Ah, I just found where someone recommends cleaning diamonds with denture cleaner...

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm game...

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

That (denture fizz) makes me think of toothpaste -- I use it to clean my (transparent) stone jewelry. I learned about it from Joan Rivers (!): she was on some talk show and she said "you brush your teeth and [spit] clean your diamond ring!"

I have to say it works! My only concern is if it might be abrasive on your glasses .... Hmm.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Please let me know if one of these ideas works for you. I acquired a beautiful and heavy set of glasses, and they have this problem. The dishwasher doesn't phase it.

• bulldinkie
    15 years ago

One time I added baking soda to dish water the glassses were beautiful,shine!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"Thanks for the replies -- we tried vinegar but maybe I need more concentrated. I tried the standard white vinegar like you can get in the supermarket. Is there something stronger?"

Yes there is. The stuff you buy in the grocery store is 5%. You can get it in 15% and even 30% at garden centers for killing weeds, but be warned.........It is dangerous stuff. Vinegar is an acid and at concentrations that high you can damage your skin or blind yourself. Don't breath the fumes.

Hydrochloric acid is used to remove lime and calcium deposits and Lime-a-Way is 46%. Just let it soak don't rub or scrub.

But the real reason the glassware looks cloudy is probably that they have become etched. Someone probably washed them repeatedly in the dishwasher and the glassware is damaged not dirty. If you only wanted to use them for display you could rub mineral oil on them to diffuse the light and the microscopic scratches won't show, but that won't solve the problem for something you wish to use for beverages.

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

You can get a bit more concentrated vinegar but it is hard to find. Try the internet. And then try the baking soda. The toothpaste has a bit of abrasive in it, which is why it works. The dishwasher additive you're thinking of is a citric acid derivative, and I think the powdered drink "Crystal Lite" has it, too. Sometimes the stains won't come off the glass, though. Good luck, and if something works, please let us know.

• Oakley
    15 years ago

I have a lot of depression glass, some in the ruby, and it's hard to mess up the glass. Try 409, and if that doesn't work, use Lime Away. I have very hard water and Lime Away works wonders.

I'd love to see a picture of the glass!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, there are so many great ideas here! I'll be off to Lowes today. Andee, I think you're right about the citric acid -- I remember people saying it got precisely what this looks like off the glasses, and I'd always thought it was impossible to get this off. Maybe I could try soaking them in citric acid before doing the others. In the back of my mind lurks the fear that you're right, dilly dally, but at least they're so beautiful that I can use them for mosaics if nothign else :).

oakleyok, they're not exactly a ruby in that if you hold them up to the light at a tilt and look through one thickness as compared to a double thickness, there's almost a bit of orange/gold tone to the red, as opposed to that bluish red I associate with ruby. A warm ruby, kind of. I *love* this color.

off to do science experiments :)

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

Glisten is the best stuff I've found. It's basically citric acid (just like Tang), but works well in the dishwasher and in fact, is sold as a dishwasher cleaner. I'd be careful with colored glass as it likely contains mineral salts, which could react. But the clear parts should be fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glisten

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

If they're truly etched, not stained, and the color is all through the glass (not painted on), try using MicroMesh, it's fabulous for shining up etched glass. Get it in a couple of intermediate grades (say, 1500 to 12000) and graduate up, just like sandpaper. I get mine at the woodworking supply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Micro Mesh

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, idee & circus. Glisten, that is exactly what I was thinking of. The glass is colored all the way through rather than applied or cased, but I'll remember your warning.

And circus, WOW WOW WOW! I'm so thrilled that you have introduced me (us) to micromesh! DH is thinking of everywhere we can use it...we're off to Woodcrafters today to get some. I probably sound a bit geek-ish but learning about new sanding/polishing technologies really excites me :) Thanks!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

LOL, but of course, Fly, from a fellow geek.

I first discovered Micromesh when I was polishing old plastic telephones (don't even ask..) -- and found that it's also brilliant for smoothing out those darned edge chips in drinking glasses you'd otherwise have to throw away. And it was great for polishing up the dings on my vintage enamelled stove and sinks, and and and...

It's good for a zillion things, and it takes a lot to use up one little square of it. Rockler carries it, so I'm sure Woodcrafters will, too. Enjoy!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Thanks for the Micro mesh tip CP. I had never heard of it.

I learn so much here! I'm going to read up on the product. I am interested in something like this for auto glass.

Thank you.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

circuspeanut, which grade did you use for the drinking glasses? ...was just sorting through my crystal today!

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

fly
    Have you tried solution of vinegar & boiling water/really hot water -
    I let mine soak for quite sometime, refill sink w/hot water & then use microfiber cloth to scrub them.

Also, have you tried hot water & DW detergent let them sit in it?

GL

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, looks like it's up to the micro mesh to save the day if it's going to. The glasses are as clean as denture tablets and Crystal light are going to get them, but the etching remains...

The bright side: if the micromesh works, I have so many things I want to use it on! circuspeanut (yeah, I told my DH that someone named circuspeanut was really well-informed and helpful...ah, the internet), I have the same question linnea does: what grade do you use for glass so as not to create more scratches but to get chips out? Or do you start with a lower grit and work your way up to 12K/

• judithn
    15 years ago

Flyleft, A few years ago I inherited a heap of fancy crystal and Meissen china and so forth. I had it all appraised in order to insure it. The appraiser, who had a Christies/Sotheby's connection and was highly regarded in the local area was very nice. She came out to the house and looked it over. Some of it had the kind of staining/cloudy etching you might have on your glassware. Life you, I had tried various cleaning methods to restore the sparkle and was very frustrated. I had this gorgeous Victorian era punch bowl and lots of small cut vases and pitchers and I wanted to use it! What this appraiser told me is that there's nothing you can do to the glass once it gets this cloudiness. She called it 'sick' glass and (I hope I am remembering this correctly) the cloudy appearance is caused by microscopic cracks in the glass itself. I can't remember what she said causes it, but the worst thing you can do she said was to introduce more water into the glass and try to scrub it out. It would look okay when wet but just dry cloudy again. Among the antique pieces were several fabulous decanters and venetian blown and cut pieces from the 1700s. Those that were "sick" had next to no value. I think it's okay to use them (I use them decoratively as vases and candleholders, etc). Maybe if you google "sick" glass you can find out more.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

judithn, yes, I do think we're talking about the same thing. AND YET: I googled "sick glass" and the first thing I came up with was a way to fix it! I'm lucky it's glasses and not a decanter, but I'm a little leery of using copper shot or bird gravel, and it's giving me hope that micromesh maybe at 12K may be able to do the trick. I'm going to get it today. Was going to order it (DH didn't want to drive all the eway down) but I think I'll just go get it. I'm really curious now.

Here is a link that might be useful: if it comes to bird gravel, I'll do it, but try the mesh first

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

hey there,

Ha! I chose circuspeanut years ago for my first online message board, and it kinda stuck. I figure it's probably more memorable than my real name. :)

I have to apologize; I had the grits incorrect in my previous post. To polish drinking glass edge nicks, I used Micromesh 1500 through 12,000, going from 1500 - 1800 - 2400 - 4,000 -6,000 - 8,000 - 12,000. I'm thinking it's really OK to skip the lower grits if your scratches aren't that deep; always better to start out gentle and lower the grit only if necessary.

I can't recall exactly, but I likely also used some Wenol polish along with one of the higher grits (the fine version, in the blue tube: another really superior product if you ever have to polish chrome, shiny plastic, etc).

After the final 12,000, buff with chamois, suede, rubber eraser, microfiber cloth, spectacle polishing cloth, etc. (Micromesh sells various hobby kits that include some polishing goo and a nice rubbery final buffer. The ones they sell for acrylic seem to work well for glass, too.)

cheers! definitely keep me posted on any polishing progress -- ... copper shot?!

Here is a link that might be useful: linkie link

• payperbiz
    15 years ago

Moisten an old newspaper, just tear a page, and wipe the glass thoroughly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Countertops Florida