SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

I need more natural light in the kitchen...

lavender_lass
12 years ago

We're hoping to start working on the farmhouse this spring, so I need to finalize my plans. We're not doing demo right away, but cleaning out the rest of the 'stuff' (got a lot done last summer) and seeing how much structural work is necessary. We will be getting actual plans done, before we do any serious work.

I played around with a bigger floorplan, but it just was too much space for me and my husband on a daily basis...too much to clean...and too expensive. I'd rather have some money left for other things (like my gardens) than put everything into the house, especially if it's space we're not going to use.

So, we pretty much have settled on an overall layout, but the kitchen/dining/keeping room (that we've wanted from the beginning) has never been 'just right'. I think the problem is there's no sunlight coming into the kitchen, itself...and I need to change that. So, after drooling over Laura Calder's kitchen (again) I thought about shifting the spaces around.

I know there's a cooktop on the island, but if I put it by the oven, I lose the little window (over my baking area) and it's too crowded. The space is 10' x 16' and I also don't like the long walk, from the fridge to the cooktop, on that far wall. On the island, it's close to the sink and fridge and I'd rather have my main prep/baking area on the perimeter...where I can have all my ingredients at hand.

The island is raised up in the back, for the stools and I can put a hood over, since this is the old porch area and there's nothing above. Oh, and the microwave is actually in the little pantry area, between the main fridge and pantry sink, across from the freezer. I only use the microwave to melt butter/margerine and occasionally thaw out ground meat. My husband uses it more, for heating up frozen snacks.

I think this plan has a lot more light...with the kitchen windows and the bay window seat in the dining area. Also, room to expand the table for family/holiday meals. And, the plan for the wood stove is to have it inside a fireplace surround, but still high enough to put a teakettle on the stove. And, nothing above the pantry/utility area, so the wood stove pipe will not be going up through any living space.

So, what do you think? Let me know the good and bad. I value your opinion and I hope I've been on the forum long enough, to realize everyone is trying to help, even if they don't like the plan.

And, one more thing about the island...since we have so much other seating...I don't expect anyone to be reading the paper at the island, while I'm cooking! There's plenty of other, more comfortable, places to sit :)

Also...the powder room area, behind the kitchen, will probably be changed into access to a full bath. And the french door, from the wood stove area is to screen the utility space, from the dining room table. Thanks for taking the time to look!
{{gwi:1651981}}From Fairy tale cottage

And Laura Calder's kitchen...with the blue tile and all the windows...and that sink!
{{gwi:1421809}}From Fairy tale cottage

Comments (33)