SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiagrace

Bathroom floor help!

Kiagrace
9 years ago

I have a 1914 home with a 1960's bathroom. (I found Feb. 1966 written in the closet, which I assume is the date of the remodel.) The linoleum floor is both hideous and worn. The rest of the upstairs has hardwood, and the bathroom floor is raised compared to the rest of the floor. I got brave this morning and took the transition off and started investigating the floor. The current layer of flooring is on top of what I assume is just a better quality of plywood than what you could get today. Under that there appears to be another layer of linoleum. Under that, I can't tell... So, I have a few questions before moving forward. 1. What are the chances that there is hardwood under the second layer of linoleum and that it would be salvageable? 2. What are the chances that that second layer of linoleum is asbestos/ any other version of a nightmare to get up and that's why they put the plywood layer down rather than deal with it? 3. What the heck to I do now? If there isn't hardwood I thought I wanted to tile, but there is no way I can tile on top of all of those layers. It would be a really big step up that I think people would trip over, I would have to cut the door off (again), etc. Thoughts?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz