SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Are wallpaper borders out of style?

Or out of style running around the middle of the room?

In my dining room the wall is divided with one color on top, another on the bottom. Separating the two is a wallpaper border in cream with a subtle floral design on it. The bottom color is a deep raspberry which IÂm planning to repaint; the adjacent room (kitchen) is now a blue green that has too much contrast with the raspberry. The top half was faux finished with a salmon base, with added touches of cream and blue. The top I am not going to repaint: everyone still likes it. The new color for the bottom will be a deep blue green.

The border in question not only divides the top half from the bottom, but edges the doorframes, one of which is very wide. If I removed it I would have to come up with some other way to separate the two color zones. I suppose a chair rail would work. But more problematic would be the border edging the door frames, since if I removed that I would have to fill in with more marbleizing, and getting the new area to mesh with the old would be very difficult.

Therefore I may have to opt to cover the old border with one of the same width. My taste is less conservative now than it was when I chose the first one. Yet the room is a formal dining room containing family antiques, so I canÂt go too avant-guard.

Any ideas for this? Or solutions for the doorframes?

Comments (22)