SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc102482

Very rough texturzation over plaster - leave or cover?

jlc102482
13 years ago

I have an 1857 home with plaster walls. The upstairs walls and ceiling have been completely covered in a hard, coarse texturizing substance. It was done sometime between the 1940s and 1980s, I'm not sure when nor do I know what it's made out of. I suspect it was done to camouflage bulges in the plaster, as there are several of those that are large and quite noticeable.

I hate the look of the texturization, and more importantly, this stuff is painful! It is as hard as cement and is quite sharp in some places. The hallways are quite narrow and I have skinned my knuckles many, many times by accidentally brushing them against the walls as I walk by. It doesn't help that some of the walls upstairs are at a steep angle, which increases the chances of accidentally bumping your head and consequently grating your skin off on the texturizing stuff. OW!

I know the best method of texturization removal is sanding, but there is so much of it and it is so coarse (think big peaks, not subtle bumps) that I don't think sanding all of it right down to the plaster would be feasible. Would it be possible to drywall over it, or is that a terrible idea? I realize I'd have to sand off the highest points in order to give the drywall a flat surface.

I've attached a photo so you have an idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks very much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ouch!

Comments (5)