OT trialrunner round braided challah

twoyur
15 years ago

Do you have the braiding pattern for this type

As I recall it is very eaay. Less work then the 6 braid I usually do

Comments (9)

• annachosaknj6b
    15 years ago

Try posting your question in the Cooking forum and you may get more response.

I do it by laying six strands out in a sort of tic-tac-toe pattern. Make sure your strands are short and tapered on the ends. Lay two strands parallel (direction A) about an inch apart. Lay the next two strands perpendicular to and on top of the first two (in direction B) so that it looks like a tic-tac-toe board. The fifth strand goes in the middle in direction A so that it's between the first two strands, and the last in the middle in direction B. Braid the short ends on all four sides, then tuck under and round off. It sounds complicated but will make more sense once you actually try it.

• twoyur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you

diffrent then the way I have done it

you are using 6 strands I recall only four

dough is on first rise so I have time

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

These are the directions I used to teach myself how to do it:

http://www.ou.org/shabbat_shalom/article/woven_round_challah/

• twoyur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you that looks more like how i used to do it

going clockwise and counter clock wise

Ill give it a whirl

• twoyur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thinking it is going to end up backing more square than round but i did one round the other the traditional 6 braid

• plllog
    15 years ago

There's an easier way to do it.

My recipe is a very light brioche style crumb, so if you use a denser one you might need to adjust the proportions. It helps to use a round pan, like a pizza pan or cheesecake pan of the appropriate size.

Separate about a third of the dough and fold the edges under making a kind of powder puff shape. Place this in the center of the pan. Divide the remaining dough to make a braid (four parts works best, but three will do).

Ease the dough into long thin strands, but don't pull. Braid starting from the middle and pinch and turn under the ends. Staring at the top center of the powder puff, coil the braid around and tuck the end under.

It might take a bit of experience to get these to rise an even shape (i.e., no topknot or leaning). Make sure your coil covers but is fairly loose so that it has a chance to rise evenly. Especially, don't make the beginning part too tight.

I don't have any pictures on hand, but this makes a nice, high-domed loaf.

• User
    15 years ago

Yep those are the directions I follow. I made 2 of them on friday and took them to a party. I hope yours come out well. The trick is to not have the tic tac toe too small. You have to leave room between the strands for them to rise. Also I have done it with the 6 strands too. Made one of each on friday. If you just go clockwise it is easier and turns out just fine. Also you need to have the strands very long...longer than you think. I make my reg size batch that would make 3 loaves and use 1/2 of the batch for each ring. I bake them 35-40 instead of 30. Please post pics !! Caroline

• twoyur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it end up a big squarish (is that a word) blob

tastes fine

Think I'll stick to 6 strands

• User
    15 years ago

I am sorry ! One of the things they point out in those directions is you have to pull one strand around to get it close to its mate so that it keeps rounding it. Then when you tuck the ends underneath it rounds it also. Also someone suggested to me to use playdo to practice. Please try again. c