SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louw_gw

Moving a barn about 30 feet?

louw
10 years ago

Hello all, and welcome to what I'm sure will be the first of many questions to this forum, as we made an offer on a 1900 Victorian yesterday, and I'm sure I'm going to need a lot of advice and recommendations.

However, my first question is about the barn, not the house. The barn sits 25 feet from the house, and it's 25' x '30 [2 stories, ~25' high]. The barn sits on a fieldstone foundation, and has a 6-7' foot crawl space under it.

I don't want to tear down the barn, but it's location is poor. The lot is narrow, 90' wide, and 255' deep, and the front of the barn is dead center of the lot, blocking the view of the back half of the property from the house. I'd also like to put in a swimming pool and deck, and the barn (and the shadow it casts) are in the way.

Now, I know picking up a building and moving it can be done, but how hard (and expensive) is it to pick up and move a barn like this about 25-35 feet? The ground is reasonably flat, there should be no difficulty pouring a new foundation (assuming the septic system installed in 2009 is where it's supposed to be), and the only utility in the barn is electricity, which would need to get re-run anyway if I do a pool.

So I have three main questions. First, are there any complications I should be aware of? Second, this would not be DIY, I'd hire out the whole job, including the new foundation (no basement), and I'm hoping it would be around $6-8k. Am I in the right ballpark? Three, how does one go about getting estimates and references on moving a barn? Where I am, suburban Boston, it's not that common a task.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (10)