SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dak434

Please help with kitchen backsplash! Pics

dak434
16 years ago

Hi,

We have just moved into a new house and are going to put in our own backsplash but are having difficulty deciding on what will work with the granite. Our original thought was to choose a tile with a orangy tan shade pulled from the granite and then add some sort of simple black glass accent but we can't seem to find a tile that works...they never seem to be the right shade or have too much variation that makes it look too busy with the granite. Unfortunately, we don't have a sample of the granite to take with us to the tile stores which makes it even more challenging and every sample we bring home just doesn't seem like the right color or competes too much with the granite.

DH is now thinking a black subway tile would enhance the granite without competing against it and we could perhaps add a simple gold glass accent in there. (I am crazy about glass tile so I keep trying to get it in there somwhere!) I agree that the black would probably draw out the granite but am a little leery about making the kitchen too dark. It is an interior kitchen without a window, however it does get pretty good light from the window in the adjacent breakfast area. I am also having trouble visualizing it and wondering about the overall look it will have and if it will limit my decorating options or paint color....there is not going to be a lot of wall left over but what little there is will influence the breakfast area which will probably influence the adjoining greatroom etc... I think a white or cream subway might look better but he thinks that will not really pull together with the granite. What do you guys think about the black subway tile and are there other possibilities we are missing? Thanks for any help! Here are some pics...the granite is a little less orange than the picture indicates I think...

Comments (40)

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Have you considered pressed tin? it's the newest thing (they tell me) and I'm this close to putting it in my kitchen.

{{!gwi}}

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Have you asked over on the kitchen forum? They have a gallery you might enjoy, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen board Gallery

• Related Discussions

Help, Oh, Please Help! - Backsplash Installation. (pics)

Q

Comments (11)
    This is a situation I hate. Short of moving the switches (which isn't always possible), there's no real winning solution. I even talked a friend of mine this summer (who just happens to be an electrical contractor) out any backsplash at all, other than the 4" one that came with his countertop, just because of this, and he said those switches couldn't be moved, because of the way the framing fell, without opening up about 20" of the wall and redoing the framing. If it were up to me, and I had no choice but to deal with it, I'd tile that little space from the side of the cabinet to the door trim.
    ...See More

Help me pick my backsplash, please! - pic heavy

Q

Comments (27)
    I like the one on the right. but I sort of like the one on the left too. sorry. It's just 2 different looks. That being said, you need to do the "squint" test. I think the lighter tile on the left will appear to give you a white-ish color--so stand back, squint your eyes at the painted backsplash area now--do you like what you see or would you want it darker? Maybe do the test again with the tile on the counter--where you have counters so as to get the full effect. If you want it to look really rich, then darker. If you want to keep it light, then the lighter one. I think both will look nice, seriously. I say pour yourself a cup of tea, and sit down and just stare at it. It will come to you. It is sort of like a meditation type of thing. If anybody is home, they will wonder if you are "ok".
    ...See More

Final strech: Backsplash help, please (pics)

Q

Comments (6)
    Wow. Can I just say wow one more time at your granite? It's crazy. Can you please share it's name and source? It reminds me of a painting, really... great. Anyway, for the backsplash I think you want to not distract from your granite. White subway might be just fine because it is so mono-chromatic and not terribly eye-catching. I think that I would avoid the tile that matches the wall color, just because it be odd to get a 'near-miss' in terms of color and texture. The white glass in matte or shiny though might be an alternative to the subway. Either way I would suggest getting samples and putting them up on your walls, I know it's changed a lot of peoples minds about their backsplash. And one more time about the granite: wow.
    ...See More

Please help me with backsplash options!!! (pics)

Q

Comments (8)
    fla - That is a good thought. But I think it is all a bit too "neat" for me. I love the look of the tight, small-tile brick pattern, either vertically or horizontally. But I think it is a bit more "Dwell" and a bit less in keeping with the style of our home. If I had a gleaming Eichler in an MCM neighborhood in Cali, it might be just the trick. But out here in the woods I guess I'm looking for that perfect imperfection. I've been looking off and on for backsplash tiles for about a year, knowing we're going to do the kitchen this fall. These are the first ones I've really loved, and I'll just have to choke down the $1,300 it's probably going to cost me(!)
    ...See More
  • jejvtr
    16 years ago

Kad,
    Here's 2 links that may help -
    I think black would really overwhelm that space - and detract from the lovely materials used. I think backsplashes should be subtle and enhance the space not make a huge statement (but that's my taste) I would see a nice tumbled stone subway light colored as enhancing your lovely kit

good luck

http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash show

• les917
    16 years ago

I totally agree with jejvtr - the black will overwhelm the granite, imo. The granite is warm and lovely and has interesting movement, and all that you will notice is the solid wall of black in there.

Here's something you might try. Take a black napkin or towel or even a t-shirt and tape up in the backsplash area. Do the same with a warm beige or ivory. Then stand back and see how different the space feels. If you still love the black, go for it.

I would rather see something warm and very neutral, the lighter golden beige that runs through the tile, perhaps with some black or stainless accents set in. You paid a lot for the granite - let it be the star.

The other option would be to put the same granite all the way up the backsplash as well.

• greenmtn
    16 years ago

I'm in agreement with the above. I feel the black will be too strong. Your granite is GORGEOUS so I would let that be the star. I like Les' idea (or pick up a sheet of black poster board and tape it up). Post more pics with samples if you can. Your kitchen really looks lovely.

• skyii
    16 years ago

Hi! I've been a lurker here for ages but this is my first post. I had to reply because I just went through the same thing. It took me a YEAR to decide on a backsplah! My granite has similar color to yours and the only 2 tiles I found that worked as a backsplash were a gorgeous cinnamon glass (at $5/tile it was not really an option) and Jerusalem Gold. I LOVE the JG! It has warm undertones, whereas most of the tumbled marble had a very cool, almost grey look to it. Hope this helps!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

This is tumbled travertine in a mosaic pattern. Of course you could use bigger tile. This just gives an idea of color.
    Scabos:
    {{!gwi}}

Efes Noce:
    {{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Just curious as to what your granite is?

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

I love your granite!!
    My inlaws put in what looks like the same kind. Some kind of juparana....maybe bourdeaux?? Can't remember.

They also have cherry cabinets and we did a tumbled travertine on the diagonal. It lets the granite be the show-stopper, which it is!!

Smiles:)

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

Do look at the backsplash slideshow and post this question over on the kitchen forum. I agree with above that black will really overwhelm your space. Deciding on a backsplash can be a complex process--it's not just the tiles, but the tile design. It can really make a statement and be a focal point or be a backdrop and let other elements take center stage. I would prefer to see something in natural stone, perhaps a brick pattern--and some metal/bronze accent tiles. Not too busy ofr it will fight with the granite for attention. Mine is in tumbled botticino--we enhanced it which also gives it a different look so if you consider natural stone, make sure to take a few samples home and test with a sealer/enhancer to see which look you like.

• stu2900
    16 years ago

Your granite looks similar to mine which is Juperana Palimino. Because the granite has so much motion in it, we didn't want to use anything on the backsplash that would detract from that. We used a tile that looks like stone and I love it. The cabinets are cherry with a chocolate glaze. The door handles are brushed nickle with a copper accent. I love how it turned out. This isn't the best picture, but you can see the simplicity of the tile with the granite.

• dak434
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you ALL for the information! A lot of great ideas to consider. Back to the drawing board to hash it all out with DH. And the tile stores...sure wish I had a sample of the granite to take with me to make life easier. The kitchen and backsplashes on the blogs are gorgeous!

The granite is Juparana India Gold. The slabs were a little different from the others we had seen and we were a little unsure but once we saw the finished product, we were very happy with it.

For what it is worth, here is the black subway with the gold glass tile we were thinking about...and some others that we had rejected.

{{!gwi}}

Other view of kitchen

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

You last choice has potential. What is it that you dislike about the tumbled stone? If you prefer a less holey look, you may want to consider the marbles--like crema marfil or bottocino --or if you find the look too "rustic" you could look for one that is pillowed or honed. I think it'd look fab. with some of the smaller 1x2 brick tiles.

• stu2900
    16 years ago

Whatever you choose, that gold glass tile is fabulous! I'd like to see pix that include a view of the cabinets with the granite and tile choices. Scrolling through your choices, I really like the one that is goldish, just under the black subway tile. You might keep in mind that the once up, the black will show every little spot, mark or finger print, or food splatter. On the other hand it's really dramatic and I love drama!

• les917
    16 years ago

Love the first tumbled stone you have shown.

I am not a big fan of the glass tile, but if you want to use it, I would do a band of it the same width as the height of the outlets all along the backsplash. Might be easier that way to find interesting outlet covers to blend in.

• sapphirestitch
    16 years ago

Are subway tiles made in the neutral colors like your 3rd and 4th choice? The shine and gloss of the black tiles look really great with the glass and the granite...but the black is probably going to be too dark for the room.

If you could get that shine in a lighter color, plus use the sparkle of the glass, I think it could be a real showstopper.

Disclaimer: I have to add that I'm not very fond at all of the current trend for tumbled and rough-looking stone in backsplashes so that colors my opinion. If I posted a pic of my kitchen you would all laugh...I have laminate with a 4" splash and it's painted wall above there. So, I have no kitchen "street cred" whatsoever. But if/when I can do a kitchen remodel I would be looking at something with more glitz and gloss.

• phyllisjm
    16 years ago

I am a little blah on all. The granite is wonderful and the ones you suggest do not make it look as elegant and pick up colors in that granite. I do like what someone else suggested though, the travertine.#1. It a few of the tiles could be some darker to pick up that color in the granite: #2 is too pale. Can you get the same granite for the backsplash too or is that too much for you?>

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

sapphirestitch~LOL! I have no "street cred" either, but it's easy to spend someone's else's $$! I only WISH...Glass tile is not my thing, however, the color is very pretty. Which is because, I think, it matches the granite so well. Using the same granite on the backsplash would be ideal, but obviously very expensive. I'm guessing since you used every precious piece, this isn't an option, LOL.

The first tumbled stone option has a warmth that the other tiles lack, and it looks like a perfect match to the swirl in the countertop. But IMO subway tile has a classic, timeless appeal. If you could get the tumbled stone in a subway tile, I would love to see that. (See #57 in the backsplash show), your kitchen is bellissimo!

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

I guess I'm the oddball LOL. I LOVE the matching glass tile! And the black subway too. I think the black (prefer glass) subway will down play any competition with the small glass 1x1 & granite and you seem to have enough light to do it.
    Can you insert them into you kitchen pic to get a bigger picture of what it would look like? Also I would cross post those pics into the kitchen forum for more feedback : )
    Here are a couple more pics
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• caminnc
    16 years ago

Love the black and gold tiles, very, very sharp! I do agree the black will show every little splash but if you are willing to keep it clean I would go with it.

• uxorial
    16 years ago

If you're thinking of mixing materials, take a look at what I did:

{{!gwi}}

It's a combination of tumbled slate, black glass, and stainless steel. I originally was thinking of doing just glass mosaic, but it was too expensive and would have looked too "flashy" for my rustic log home. By doing most of the backsplash in slate ($3/s.f.), I needed only one square foot each of the expensive glass tiles and stainless steel tiles. And the result is eye-catching without being overwhelming.

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

I dunno know.............that black subway and gold glass are singing to me - they are absolutely gorgeous with your granite! Generally I'm not a shiney girl - far prefer matt finishes in my own world - but with what you have going already, it looks perfect to me. And I could totally see carrying that glass tile baseboard to baseboard, up and around your arched doorway to the dining room. I have NO problem spending your $$ !!

• valley57
    16 years ago

I also absolutely love the gold tile. I hope you can use it. I think it looks great with the tan tile after the black tile pictures. Your kitchen is beautiful.

• mktoni
    16 years ago

How cool - we have the SAME granite, and I had the same dilemma! I loved the glass mosaics and was leaning that way, but my husband was saying no way. Our contractor came up with a great compromise - at least I love it!!

I can't remember how to post the picture directly, but here is a link - if it works! And if it does, please take a look. I will see if I can take some better photos now that we are all done and post them.

http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/65/765/6/25/90/2089625900101273216WxRGCh_th.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• mktoni
    16 years ago

Okay, let's see if I can make the picture show up larger ...

{{!gwi}}

Yeah - it worked! Here is one more view:

{{!gwi}}

• covella
    16 years ago

When I saw your photo I thought of either clear or milky glazed glass tiles, or even a warm golden color to complement your marble.
    I found a couple websites -

This is the closest to what I was thinking of in color and the translucence of the tiles http://www.dolceglasstile.com/ideas/phillykitchen.html

Other things I found - beautiful stuff
    http://accentglasstile.com/colors.cfm?t=2 look at the available single colors

There are also some interesting glass patterns at
    http://www.glasstilestore.com/http_www_glasstilestore_com_SearchResults_asp_Cat_3_s/3.htm

I think if I could find a place for this rock border in my house I would use it http://www.glasstilestore.com/category_s/54.htm

• dak434
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ohhhh...so much to think about now! It is all so overwhelming! Everybody has such great ideas...I went from no ideas to too many. I am afraid to put it on the kitchen forum as well!

The glass tiles still sing to me...they are all gorgeous on the pictures and links. Saskatchewan_girl, where are the glass tiles from in the pictures you are showing? Also Mktoni, I can't see your pics. Uxorial, the mix is gorgeous too. Alyrics, the glass sample I have with the black subway tile actually came from glasstilestore.com. They are out of it now but expect to get more in a couple of weeks if we go with that. Their prices seem to be much less than some of the others online.

DH is planning on picking up some inexpensive black subway tiles at Home Depot tomorrow (19 cents each) and just make a mock-up section to slip between the counter and cabinet...we just have the small sample of glass tile so we won't be able to see what that looks like but it will give us an idea of what a black tile overall would look like. I would also like to hit another tile store and see what they have in a natural stone in the 3 x 6 subway size. There wasn't a lot of choices in that size at the last store I went.

This may take a long time...

• dak434
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Saskatchewan_girl, never mind I found the tile...Tessera tile from Oceanside glass tile. Beautiful. The picture on the Tessera link actually shows what might be a similar granite with the tile. I would have thought this would look too busy but I think it is lovely...I love the colors but probably not what I would choose in regards to the rest of the house. I bet lots of $$$$$ too.

http://www.glasstile.com/default2.aspx?flashAutoMode=C_1&initPage=product_intro.html

• kay123
    16 years ago

Just a lurker here and a newbie poster. I really love the black subway with the glass tiles. I think they would look stunning with your granite. Very town instead of country though. So I guess it depends on the feel you want? The tile seems very reflective and may not absorb the light as much (just a positive thought). You have a great kitchen and I am sure it will just get better :-)
    K

• caminnc
    16 years ago

Yes, do keep us posted. I want to see if you use that black and gold tile.....totally sexy!

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I see from your picutres you are not afraid of black. The black tile with the gold glass tiles is the way to go. Very elegant and almost understated. It will make the granite look like art.

I am not sure these are made but black subways tiles with a matt finish could be interesting since your granite is shiny.

Go with you first instinct in decorating. It seems you heart is set on it and you are looking for permission. You may not be happy with anything else.

• redhead_2008
    16 years ago

Kad2, I'm in the same position as you. We have persian brown granite(lots of movement / color) and I'm stuck on picking out the backsplash, but am leaning toward a muted yellow handmade tile with green flecks. Accent tiles will be carmel. Its a difficult decision and I am very hesitant to pull the trigger....
    I love your kitchen table! What brand is it? Also, it looks like counter height - which is exactly what we're looking for!
    Red

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I think you need to step back and look at the rest of your house when deciding on the tile. Yes, the black subway tiles look beautiful with the glass tiles you've put beside them. But, to me your house is very traditional in nature. Your DR buffet is very traditional, your family room and other furniture pieces are not contemporary or modern. Your cherry cabinets are more traditional in style.

I just think it looks like a contemporary style backsplash and will look odd in your kitchen. Plus, black tile reminds me of bathroom for some reason. OK, I'm sorry to be so opinionated, but once tile's up it's up.

Your DH has a great idea about putting up the sample tiles. Just make sure you do a large area - especially behind the stove area and on the wall that looks into the DR. Post some pictures! Maybe I'm just not seeing it!

I do like the glass tiles, maybe with a cream subway.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

The black subway with the glass looks amazing. Your kitchen would definitely be making a statement. One that screams "look at me, I'm beautiful." LOL

I don't know about the mixing of styles. Subway tile is traditional as far as I'm concerned and mixing in the glass would just add that extra touch. I think they would look absolutely fabulous.

I have a very traditional house and my master bath and bedroom are a bit off the spectrum, being done in a more glitz style and I'll be mixing marble, ceramic and glass in the bath. How's that for mixing it up? I say go for the black and glass.

• annie1971
    16 years ago

I didn't think I would, but I actually like the black subway tile with the glass. Looks quite classy!
    Your granite looks very much like mine in color. I used tumbled something and It's the way I wanted the kitchen to look. I would not use the glass with the tumbled tiles, however.

• blissful_in_tx
    16 years ago

Off topic, but where did you get your bar stools? It's just what we're looking for.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

I'm thinking a soft golden yellow glazed ceramic in a simple pattern to subtley enhance everything you've already got going. Try a lighter shade, then move darker until you find the perfect one.

There's just nothing like golden yellow to compliment cherry.

• dak434
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was surprised to see this back up again...it has been awhile since I had posted! But anyway we still haven't picked yet. But after visiting every tile store and ordering multiple samples off the internet, I THINK we are leaning toward going forward with the black subway and glass. My husband did make a mock-up right after I last posted and I think it looked beautiful with the granite but I still wasn't sure about how dark the kitchen would be or, as Caroleoh pointed out, if the style was right. But we haven't found anything else that really calls to us and we keep finding ourselves coming back to it. I have had the mock-up sitting next to the stove since he made it and the glossy tile really does reflect back the light and the overall look may not be as dark as I think. I will try to get a picture tomorrow when the light is better and post it to see what you think. I also have 3 more samples coming in the mail Monday (including a black glass subway) but I am thinking if none of those work, we will go for it.

As far as style, I wish I knew what I wanted! I am having that problem throughout the house. That is part of the problem. I have leaned toward traditional in the past but the few new purchases I have made for the house have seemed to be more contemporary so now I have this hodge podge thing going on...and then I will pick up a decorating magazine and see a well done cottage room and drool over that as well. Right now I have 5 colors painted on the greatroom wall...sigh...

Anyway the table and bar stools came from JC Penney catalog. We wanted a counter height table set for the breakfast but needed bar height for the stools and wanted them all to match. None of the local furniture stores had that available but I just happened to find the set on closeout PLUS free shipping even though it was heavy furniture. It was a great deal and we are happy with the quality.

Thanks for all the help and bringing this back up again. Can I post all my other rooms too for help???!!! :)

• brutuses
    16 years ago

kad, I understand where you are coming from. I love so many styles so it's difficult for me to stay focused. My house will not be all one style, but the styles will be in different rooms so it won't be confusing. Don't call your eclectic taste a hodge podge. There is nothing wrong with mixing styles. You just have to know how much of what to mix. LOL

I think the black ceramic subway tile with the glass accents will go with your traditional cabinets, but if you choose the glass subway I think that would definitely look more contemporary.

• sonya_2008
    15 years ago

Hi there, I've read your entire blog and wondered if you ever finished the project with the black subway tiles. Believe it or not, we have the exact same granite and had planned on doing black subway tiles as well, so wondered what it looks like. We ordered our tiles last week and are installing as soon as they arrive. Thanks!