SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcs7

imagine snapshots of your home interiors

jcs7
18 years ago

One way I get in the mood to notice and actually edit my clutter is to imagine what photographs of my rooms throughout our house would reveal. I just browse through the Apartment Therapy website's 'house tours' and notice the junk that appear in slides (or for some of those minimalists - the lack of junk!) that we as homeowners get so used to seeing that it virtually disappears from our vision.

I first noticed this vision shift when I cleaned up my last house for sale and thought to get photos for my own albums. - My house looked so good! One would never even had guessed I had 3 kids under three until they reached 2nd floor bedrooms and attic playroom.

I'm not saying to get rid of evidence of life and joy and reality. I'm talking straightening framed art on the wall (or finally hanging it up), finding storage sites for the vases/candle holders/magazines/baggie of poker chips that seem to collect in the corner of the room, straightening the books and knick-knacks on the shelves, putting the stuff I keep on the counters that I don't use everyday back in a cupboard, passing on or recycling the notepads with some pharmaceutical propaganda on it and actually using the Paris one that is so pretty I keep it in a drawer, restacking the board games so that Monopoly is not teetering on top of the Yahtzee box, straightening the boots (maybe for the last time this season?!), and so on....

I have a weekend here in my home alone. I would love to have girlfriends over tomorrow night. I know they'll want a tour of the house (we moved in a year and a half ago) so I am trying to keep my adrenline going and FLYing through all three floors (glad I don't have the attic anymore, really.) Making beds, cleaning bathrooms, and seeing 1st floor through my clutter-angle lens.

It helps me.

Comments (7)