SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Closet versus cupboards for box storage

ontariomom
11 years ago

Hi all,

I hope you can lend me your organizational skills to help me finalize the plans for finishing our basement. I am an elementary teacher, so I have many banker boxes full of teaching games, activities, etc (perhaps 50 boxes). We are also a family of 6 so we have the general household storage needs too (Christmas decorations, off seaon stuff, etc). I need to plan for storing these things in our basement. We had initially thought to make a few long reach in closets for storage around the perimeter of our rec room. I am now wondering if cupboards would be better.

My question is should I do low end cupboards (e.g. thermafoil) around the room, or drywalled closets with doors and shelves inside? I know the cupboards will look better than a series of closet doors, but will cost more. The cupboards can also wrap around the windows which is a bonus. I will not be buying high end custom cupboards. What depth of closet or cupboards would be best? I think I am limited to 24 inches of depth for cupboards short of going custom, but we seem to have space for 30 inches of depth if we do closets. The room will not accommodate a walk in storage area, without losing the ping pong table and blocking the windows. There is one walk in closet in another part of the basement to handle any bulkier storage needs. Any suggestions?

Below is the plan of my basement which if you click on you will be taken to my photobucket to see the plan in a larger scale. There is also an inspiration picture of a wrap around set of cupboards (likely higher end cupboards than we are considering).

TIA!

Carol

http://www.houzz.com/projects/73205/Moor-Park-storage-home-office

Here is a link that might be useful: basement storage cupboards

Comments (4)