I just posted this in flooring, but you TKO-folks are so knowledgeable I thought I'd try here too...
I had my heart set on a cumaru floor for it's medium color, interesting color, and hardness, but just found out my KD can't find the railings, or my first stair step (which is curved on both ends) in cumaru. He said he can do maple or oak stained "to match". I'm really concerned the stained to match, won't. I did find one company online what sells the stair step I need as well as the railings in cumaru - they are $$$ and I'm not sure of their quality or that the wood would match the floor.
My head is spinning but my options as I see them are:
* change the floor to oak or maple
* stay with the cumaru floor and change the bottom step to a square step in cumaru. Use some other wood (oak, maple, popular) stained to match on all the railings
* stay with the cumaru floor and use oak or maple stained to match on all the stairs and railings
* stay with cumaru floor and use Brazilian cherry on the stairs and railings.
* stay with cumaru floor. Get all stair supplies from online company.
* stay with cumaru floor. Get stair treads from flooring company. Get remaining stair supplies from online company.
Am I missing any options? Are there any options here that are disastrous? What do you think is the best solution?