SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angieanders_gw

HELP! Should we buy this house?

AngieAnders
17 years ago

Okay, I will start off by saying that I am totally in love with this c.1900 house. It's history (original family lived there for 90 years), it's charm, and it's location are all wonderful. It is named but not registered, and the neighborhood behind it is named after it as well. It's well priced too, assuming it wouldn't need a whole lot of work. It's been well maintained.

There are problems of course. The house is 2300 sq ft but with only one bedroom and one bathroom (which is inside the bedroom). We need more bedrooms than that for our family, so we would need to finish the attic (and add another bathroom). It currently has no access aside from a hole in the wash room ceiling, so a staircase would need to be built in the hallway. What we need to determine is how much it would cost to finish the attic. Even a very general idea would help. (See pic link below)

Also, if anyone has any ideas, concerns, advice or comments on the house, I would really appreciate it! We are relatively handy but would want to hire out for the heavy projects like the staircase addition.

Does anyone know what style this house is? It seems Queen Anne to me but with only one storey it's hard to find pictures of other houses that are similar enough to clinch it for me.

Thanks in advance for your help! ALL comments welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of House & Attic

Comments (11)