SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macbirch

sliding doors

macbirch
18 years ago

When we had this house built, we measured how much space we wanted in the large laundry cupboard for the tall things (broom, mop, ironing board, etc) and the small things (spare light bulbs, tools, cleaning items, etc). I told DH to check with the builder about the number and size of the sliding doors so that there wouldn't be any problems with accessing the shelves. I didn't follow it up myself because both DH and the builder had a bit of an attitude that building a house is mens business and what would I understand. So now we have shelves that are half blocked by a door. There is no way of sliding the doors aside so that the shelves are completely accessible. The result is that things get shoved in awkwardly and eventually pushed to the back and nobody remembers what's in there.

Week before last I started my biannual laundry cleanup. The highlight of this process is lifting out one of the sliding doors , emptying out the shelves and sorting through everything before putting it back in a way that it can be seen better once the door is put back (and hopefully getting rid of some of it). I found other urgent things to do for the next few days, such as driving round various nurseries in search of a particular plant I suddenly had to have.

Eventually I decided I wanted my family room floor back. Didn't get very far before I found myself standing in the laundry holding DH's hammers and screaming. For a few minutes I felt like if I didn't put the energy into screaming, I would put it into smashing the laundry cupboard. The only progress since then has been to put away the hammers and the spare light bulbs, and to pile up the stuff on the floor into a taller pile so it doesn't take up as much floor space.

I know somebody is bound to suggest getting a carpenter to move the shelves. But they are so solidly built, as opposed to the back wall of the cupboard which is worryingly wobbly. Don't want to touch it. So that leaves replacing the doors. Four smaller doors or three doors of different sizes? When we built the house I could visualise the potential problem but now I get so angry I can't visualise a potential solution.

Comments (12)