SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fishymom

Advice needed on dishwasher placement

fishymom
10 years ago

We are doing a remodel in the same footprint as the previous kitchen. We have made some changes, eliminating the cook top and double wall ovens in favor of a slide in range and hood. We had an OTR microwave which we eliminated and have opted for a microwave drawer. As of now, the microwave cabinet, which will be in next week, will be to the right of the sink where our dishwasher used to be, with the dishwasher moved to the left of the sink.

I have been living with the dishwasher in its new position since Saturday and I am having reservations about the change. There are 36 inches between the dishwasher and the adjacent cabinet, leaving no room for anyone to enter the kitchen from the family room or secondary bedrooms while the dishwasher is open. We would have the same issue when the microwave drawer is open, but by my logic, the microwave drawer will be opened and closed quickly compared to loading and unloading the dishwasher. Another plus for moving the dishwasher back to its original position is that the utensils and dish drawers are in the drawer stack to the right.

The microwave drawer base and the dishwasher are same width, so switching the position should not be a big problem. So what do you think?

Comments (13)