SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deore

What kind of insulation is this?

deore
19 years ago

I recently bought a house built in 1925. The bathroom was pretty dreadful- all the walls were covered with some kind of fake gold/beige marble plastic-y paneling. After taking down the paneling, it got very cold in there. I figured there was no insulation- would have been typical for that time period.

I started taking down the old sheetrock (also original- from what I can tell) since I was going to replace it anyway because of the panel adhesive, and then I could insulate at that point, and I found that there was indeed insulation- but what the heck is it?

It's called "paper tite builders insulation".

It's very old paper-faced something- it looks like shredded wood inside the paper to me. The paper is extremely brittle- you can't touch it without it tearing and the fibers of the insulation going all over the place. I stopped quickly when I saw that and haven't touched it since. I'm tempted to just put new new drywall on the one panel where I already pulled the old stuff off- I really don't want the mess and safety concerns if it's old crumbly fiberglass instead of wood shavings. I did have someone with asbestos background there for something else tell me he didn't think it was asbestos based at least, but that it was probably not wise to disturb it without using the same sort of precautions used for asbestos or mold or other nasties that can be released into the air.

Anybody run into "paper tite bulders insulation" from the mid 20's when renovating? Anybody know what is in it?

The next question is : should I try a blown-in insulation to supplement the one inch or so in there since I can't remove it without a huge mess? Or just wait until I can afford to have someone come in with the right equipment to deal with the messy removal safely?

thanks,

d.

Comments (9)