SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie814

Woodie and Craftyrn - Chicken Riggies episode

debbie814
16 years ago

If you have time today, check out Rachael Ray on the Food Network at 2:30 p.m. The episode is "Chicken Riggies" and is focusing on Upstate New York's Italian food. I know there are a few others that have enjoyed my Chicken Riggie recipe, and everyone in this area that enjoys them, has their own variation. I recently transported my chicken riggies to my son's college in Albany. LOL

Comments (18)

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

Debbie, thanks for the info - I've made your recipe and we really liked it!

Just a note - Woodie is out of town right now with her Antique Boating club, in my neck of the woods. They (30 boats in all) are traveling up the Hudson River and I hope to see her today and wave! :)

Cindy

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I'll try to catch it also... Thanks!

Nancy

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

Woodie says thanks for thinking of her and

Cindy

• User
    16 years ago

Damn!! Poor timing on my part ......I'm having a hissy fit as we speak!

• denise8101214
    16 years ago

I watched! Everything looked yummy. My mom is an Italian American from Utica (but moved from there 40 years ago) and we've never had chicken riggies. But we had greens of all types the way Rachael made escarole.

Rachael used peppers that she called Cubanelle, my mom calls them 'the narrow Italian peppers', I haven't been able to find them in California. Am I looking in the wrong places, are they called something else, is there a good substitute?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachael's Chicken Riggies and Greens

• debbie814
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cindy, what a beautiful day for a boat ride on the Hudson. Woodie really knows how to live it up!

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Since my hard drive crashed I naturally lost my recipe from whoever posted it here. I did watch and save Rachel's, but I would like the version from here if someone would please post it.

Beverly

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Yummo- Italian soul food!

• debbie814
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the one I posted Beverly.

Chicken Riggies
    ===============
    Here's a local favorite. Chicken Riggies, they're on just about every Italian restaurant menu in my hometown Utica, NY. It's a quick, easy meal.

1 stick butter, melted
    1 onion minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    About 20 oz. of sweet peppers without the juice (sliced with seeds removed)
    3 sliced hot cherry peppers or one whole that can slice into rings (packed in jar with oil) don't use the juice

Sauté above ingredients.

Add:
    1 cup Parmigiano cheese
    2 lbs. boneless chicken breast, cubed
    1 can chicken broth
    1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)

Cook for 20 minutes.

Pour mixure over 1 1/2 boxes of cooked Rigatoni pasta.

Serve with fresh Italian bread.

• denise8101214
    16 years ago

RECIPE: Chicken Riggies - local favorite

Posted by Debbie814 (My Page) on Mon, Nov 29, 04 at 20:09

Here's a local favorite. Chicken Riggies, they're on just about every Italian restaurant menu in my hometown Utica, NY. It's a quick, easy meal.
    Chicken Riggies

1 stick butter, melted
    1 onion minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    20 oz. jar of sweet peppers (sliced with seeds removed)
    3 sliced hot cherry peppers (packed in jar with oil)

Saute above ingredients.

Add:

1 cup parmigiano cheese
    2 lbs. boneless chicken breast, cubed
    1 can chicken broth
    1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)

Cook for 1 hour. Pour over 1 1/2 boxes of cooked Rigatoni pasta. Serve with fresh Italian bread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with debbie814's recipe

• denise8101214
    16 years ago

Oops!

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Thanks ladies. This English Scots/Irish American lass can't wait to try this wonderful sounding Italian dish.

Beverly

• granjan
    16 years ago

You sent me the recipe and ingredients in a swap box. We loved them and I've made them several times since.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Hi Debbie - thanks - wish I had been around to catch the show but I'm sure I'll see it on a rerun sometime. However, I love your recipe and see no need to mess with success!

Thanks Cindy for bringing this to my attention! We had a wonderful time on the "Hudson Extreme" river cruise last week. Ever into self-promotion, you can see some pics from the local newspaper of our trip :) We actually are in a couple of the pics, but look like little ants in a boat, LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson River

• lindac
    16 years ago

Wonder if chicken riggies coule be adapted to be "chicken farfalles"?
    Linda C

• debbie814
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda. yes you can use my recipe and substitute farfalles for the riggies. It would taste great, and I might try it that way some time. Just don't tell anyone in Utica :-)

Ann, you really get around. What a fabulous woodie cruise, and next time you just need to take a nap on your boat, and you'll get your picture taken. Welcome back!

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

Yes I saw that episode ( actually was in the other room but when Rachel said "riggies" I when dashing in )but think Debbie's recipe is better than what Rachel did-- think her's had green peppers in it & Debbie's is great as is.

• debbie814
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diane, I'm glad you like my recipe. I don't plan on trying Rachel's :-)