SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

A change of heart with the dining room chandelier

makeithome
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone has been following my dining room project, but I have come to a conclusion: I think I need to change my focus a little bit.

Originally, I had come up with this mock up of how I wanted my new dining room to look:

However, hubby and I went and checked out that mirror you see in the picture. What looked so pretty online turned out to be a total bust in person.

So, a week later, we ended up finding a mirror we liked... for only $40.00. It's cheap, but it's a good size and I like it on the wall.

After hanging the new mirror, I decided to flank the mirror with two wrought iron sconces that we had from our old apartment.

This is where we stand:

{{gwi:1579363}}

Now, I like the way it looks... but the brass chandelier stands out even worse now.

However, thanks to the new additions, I am unsure as to how I feel about my original choice for a replacement chandelier:

The wrought iron in the sconces is making me feel like I should go with something darker and not so shiny. I like how the black looks with the beige.

What do you think?

I still want to keep with an overall "transitional" vibe, but I feel like as this room evolves, it's just looking more and more traditional.

Maybe I am more of a traditional girl than I thought?

Which direction do you think I should go with the lighting?

And have you ever found yourself drawn to things that don't fall within your overall style?

Comments (51)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you really are going to replace your chandy with something else, I would get to Lowe's and buy a can of metallic spray paint and try that first on your existing chandy. Try the oil rubbed bronze, or whatever matches your sconces. This will show you how it will look and I figure what do you have to lose, especially if that fixture isn't staying anyway. I've had a lot of luck with spray paint and light fixtures lately! Or if you want to go with the silver finish instead for your chandy (like your inspiration picture), are you willing to paint those sconces to match whatever you do with the chandy? Maybe that isn't even necessary, but I'm wondering if you want things to match.

From what I remember, you are young and want that 'young' vibe. I think the silver is a younger, fresher finish but if you use that finish on a traditional shape (like your picture) I think you will achieve the look you're after.

I like the mirror you have in there. Can I be a real pest though? I'm wondering if the sconces should be closer to the mirror rather than centered between the mirror and the hutches. This way the mirror & sconces would act as one focal point instead of 3 separate things. Just a thought.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Which way do you really want to go? What style is the rest of the house?

Part of the problem - as I see it - is the two corner cabinets are traditional or cottage at best (I do like them) but they clash with the table and chairs "as is." Were they just painted? How do you feel about painting or glazing them? Or painting the inside/backs?

Is there anything else in the room (on wall to your back when you took picture)? I'd like to see the window wall/curtains better too.

I am drawn to some things that don't go with the "feel" I want in my home (modern), but I refrain from buying. Sometimes, you can mix styles and become eclectic, but eclectic is tricky for many. It can become a mish-mash if not careful.

My best advice is don't rush. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither should your room/home be furnished too quickly.

• Related Discussions

Dining room chandelier height.

Q

Comments (3)
    Since you already know that the drum fixture is not ideal for that space, but you are not willing to change and get a chandelier that is, go higher so that you cannot see that unsightly plastic disk. Those are not meant to be seen from above.
    ...See More

Help me Chandelier size /style for my Dining room ?

Q

Comments (23)
    Beth thank you thank you. yes I think that first one with the blue is stunning but it is over budget. I tried searching it out shopping wise and it's just gorgeous but I think I am not willing to spring for the $. It's stunning and maybe I will think on this more. 2- The Kira Adelade could work and yes the price is terrific but I am not sure if I like it better than Presidio. I was entertaining it with the dark shade as I thought it was navy but it's black. (the last photo ) so again it's really nice but not calling my name. (yet?) 3 The Manhattan is very attractive and also great price and could work. Fwiw the brass/gold finish has a cream shade which I think is ok as well. The brass/gold is out of stock but I probably could search it out somewhere. 4- The Zoey is also really nice and well priced.. and although it's a drum, it's a bit different from what I have been looking at...I think that the wire from which it hangs is a plain wire and I prefer either chain or tube. 5- The last one is the Kira with the dark shade. LizzieB thank you for your comment. I follow your threads and love your taste (as you see, another lifelong blue fan here). I do love that first one and may try shopping around. At this point, I think I need to think some more on this. I usually show DH my final contenders and often let him pick or at least hear if there are any he dislikes. I am holding off at the moment because I know on the one hand he will say anything would be way better than what's there ( and he'd be right!! lol) and also I suspect that being the unobservant male, he would automatically go with a traditional candle chandelier. I was thinking white shade but would cream offwhite be better or really no difference? So, still thinking The preecy pricey navy one. (the signature one from RLRelocation) Also the clover one but thinking maybe too glam. Presidio. Ovanda (chandelier) I do like the one Jinx shared but I think I don't adore it. It seems to be they are all great options so I thank you-- my take is that none would be a bad choice. Thanks for all the support and suggestions Did I mention that I struggle with decisions?
    ...See More

Dining Room Makeover - Lighten, modernize, change everything?

Q

Comments (10)
    Regarding your question about changing the table vs chairs: In my opinion, keeping the table and replacing the chairs with something significantly more streamlined would have the biggest impact (vs replacing the table). While my room is quite different than yours, I have a fairly similar traditional vintage dining table and have paired it with more contemporary styled chairs. I think the chairs you have now are so overtly formal and traditional that they would be hard to overcome with just changing the table. Also, you could add some lightness by choosing something upholstered in a lighter or even colorful fabric. https://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-comfort-square-side-upholstered-dining-chairs/ https://www.potterybarn.com/products/alcott-dining-chair-set-mp/ I know you said you do not want a rug and obviously that is your choice. But I do think it would make a substantial difference in how dark the room feels. Right now the dark table and chairs just fall into the dark floor. I might be partial to linear light fixtures, but I do think like updating the chandelier to something more rectangular or linear would help the space feel less traditional. https://www.potterybarn.com/products/maisie-glass-globe-linear-chandelier/ https://www.potterybarn.com/products/adeline-rectangular-crystal-chandelier/
    ...See More

Update dining room without changing it all.

Q

Comments (66)
    Not quite sure this would work, but could you divide the room in two? Have the table and 6 chairs parrallel or perpendicular to the window, then the hutch and the two arm chairs at the other end. Think two vignettes. The table could be moved back to the centre for larger gatherings.
    ...See More
  • allison0704
    13 years ago

Also, are you planning on putting in the wainscot? If you want to go transitional, I think you should leave it out.

I agree with the above poster who said the sconces needs to go closer to the mirror.

I disagree with painting the existing chandelier. It appears too small for the table/room.

• Arapaho-Rd
    13 years ago

I really like your wall color, furniture and drapes. There's something about the mirror/sconce combination that just doesn't seem right. I think the shape/size of the sconces doesn't fit with everything else, so for now I might say take them down. Maybe another pair of sconces would work better. Also, the corner cabinets are very pretty but I keep noticing the piece of wood at the very top (forgive me I don't know the correct term) that looks very traditional. I'm wondering if taking that down or replacing it might help with your blended style? You've really done a wonderful job!

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

IMHO the wall lights are too small. You need something much larger AND placed closer to the mirror.
    I don't think the chandelier in the silver is going to work with the mirror you chose. Too out of place. Where else are you going to introduce silver in that amount in that particular room? Unless you have another spot in that room to do so it's going to look odd. Your taste really seems very traditional to me, what with the wood on the walls and the corner cupboards and even the dining room table and chairs.

• User
    13 years ago

I like what you have done; I think the sconces work but would be better a bit closer to the mirror. I also think that the silver chandelier would be great. (I am just not sure of the sizing - I do think the one you have now is too small so I would just make sure that the size of the new silver one is better).
    I really like the mixture of styles you have.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i think it's looking very nice...i would look for another chandelier...there are soooooo many out there! and there are also many mixed finishes which bring in hints of silver, etc with browns, etc---but the shiny chrome(??) just doesn't seem to go with your dining room(like the shiny brass doesn't). i would say keep looking and take your time!

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's funny that everyone is saying the same thing about the sconces. I thought they should be closer too, but Hubby held them both closer to the mirror and where they are now... and for some reason, they look worse closer to the mirror. He said it first, and then I agreed. Maybe it has to do with the size or the finish? Maybe I can get two of those wooden plate stand sconce things (if that description makes sense to anyone) and paint them white and put those flanking the mirror instead of the sconces?

I agree that it's the mirror that is throwing everything off with the original chandelier. I had considered painting it white or black... do you think that would make the silver match better?

I also have thoughts of sawing off the top piece of the corner cabinets. I did get a jig saw for christmas... lol.

I think one of my concerns is that I have no where else to tie i the silver color in this room. It's in the banding on my china, but you can't really see that. The capiz mirror was going to do that, but now we aren't going that direction. I could try to do it with the table accessories.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the honest feedback so far.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

a jigsaw for Christmas?

anyway, when I said paint the existing chandy, it was meant as a test of color for the space. I too agree the actual fixture is too small. But it will really give you an idea what you like. You don't even need to worry about the chain/wire for the test.

If you do start painting things, just to let let you know I painted all sorts of gold frames for my foyer--I used a high gloss laquer paint! Nobody can believe that these frames were painted. I also painted a little chandy in the lower part of my foyer with a silver metallic paint--people are shocked when I tell them.

Regarding that mirror, if you are having 2nd thoughts, do you have a Marshalls Home Goods near you? They have the most fab mirrors (it's hit or miss) for a very reasonable price. Maybe you do need something a little more modern. The mirror could be the piece that points you in the right direction. Here's a mirror I just recently got there (it was on clearance too):

{{gwi:1540867}}

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

It seems you are trying for some transitional styling in your room. I kind of liked where you you were going with your original picture. Is there a reason you did not look for another silver trimed mirror? Have you considered painting the one you bought silver? I have to agree with the others that the sconces are too small.

I really like the chandy you picked. Why not start with putting the Chandy up and build around it?

I would leave the corner cabinets alone with regards to sawing off the tops.

This is JMHO.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

You mentioned you only paid $40 for the mirror. Would you consider painting it silver? I can see a nice silver leaf finish painted on it. It would definitely bring you back to where you want to be in terms of overall feel. Then add in the chandy you want. The sconces don't have to stay since you already had them.

• msrose
    13 years ago

Even though the round mirror didn't work, I think that along with the chandelier is what gives your room pizazz in your mockup. The mirror you have now is nice, but nothing like the first one. I think you should look for another mirror (I really like the one beekeeperswife has)and get the silver chandelier.

Laurie

• alicate
    13 years ago

My take on the whole thing:

1. Put up the moldings like in the mock up. That really looks nice!
    2. Get your chandelier you really like and install it right away without any second thought.
    3. Check out DIY sunburst mirrors online. You could spray paint it silver and have your whole effect.

• syllabus
    13 years ago

IMHO�.

Love your mock up � very fresh, and yet leaning towards a welcoming traditional.

Buy the chandy you originally fell in love with if the size is correct for your table.

Paint the mirror frame silver. Or: since the current mirror adds another rectangle to the space -- a round or oval (on its side) would break up the hard edges of the table, chairs, cabinets, glass door grids, possible future rug, etc�.

Remove the sconces. They have the wrong vibe you are wanting to create.

Change the hardware on the 2 corner cabs (love them!) to silver.

Use a silver rod for your drapes.

Fill the corner cabs with your china so they don�t look so forlorn. If they are filled with all you have -- begin collecting items in silver and the colors in your china. Paint the back of the cabs something other than white to showcase the contents better.

Find a rug to add softness under the table and to counter the coolness of the silver.

Not loving the tan paint in the mock up with the silver. The tan is warm and the silvers are cool. Not saying it cannot work � just wondering if there is another shade in the curtain fabric or your china that would work.

• ComputerMom
    13 years ago

I didn't even notice the corner cabinets in the mock-up. The judges' panels tie them together and they disappear!! I love your mock up!!

What software did you use to do the mock-up? That's amazing!
    I love the suggestion of using a silver mirror too. Could you exchange the one you bought and just try it out?

• Arapaho-Rd
    13 years ago

Here's a round silver mirror that you might like - it's expensive and I'm sure less costly ones in a similar style can be found. Is this the style you're interested in? Looking at the rectangular mirror again, it does repeat the color and shape of the table so maybe it could work with the right chandelier. To me that shape calls for sconces or something on the sides of it - maybe because the frame is narrow. A round mirror like the NM one seems like it could stand on it's own. Just some thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neiman Marcus Mirror

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's a few issues I have to contend with:

Hubby is very money conscious. The mirror was bought and unpackaged and I don't think we saved the receipt, so it's ours. I cannot approach him about not using the mirror. He would be very upset.

However, he doesn't have a problem with me altering it.

So the question is, should I spray paint it silver? Or try to do a silver leaf kind of thing?

Maybe I can spray paint the current curtain rod silver too, so it will match with the mirror?

That being said... I am still having a change of heart with the chandelier. While I like the shape of it and the sparkle, I dislike the color of the shades. I have looked and I can't find any white drum shades that would work, that wouldn't cost me the price of the chandelier itself. Hardly seems worth it.

I like the idea of one of those chandeliers with crystals and a large drum shade around it... but hubby doesn't like those at all. He won't approve of me spending much more than $200 on a fixture, and he's gotta be sold on it.

I want fun and a little modern, but I also want classic- and I have a rough time between the two. I feel like the big purchases (lighting, large furniture, rugs, etc.) should be more traditional (aka safe/timeless), and the accessories (vases, lamps, dishes, art, table runners, etc.) can be more fun and punchy and modern. Does that make sense?

As for the wainscot- yes, that is in the future. But, we can't afford it right now. I added all the materials together and I figured that the moldings and tools I need to do them will cost a bit of money. I have a total of 10 rooms that need to be addressed, so my thoughts are to take care of the basics now (paint, furniture, lighting, rugs) and then worry about the "icing" later (moldings, large art pieces, ceiling medalions ) after.

But perhaps my approach is too scattered?

• carolfm
    13 years ago

Would something like this be a good compromise? It's antique bronze finish.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Decisions...decisions. Just when you think you've made one, something happens. Been there many times.

Since you have to keep the square mirror, I would definitely silver leaf it. It looks to me like it has a beveled decoration on it, so I'm sure it's much prettier IRL than the picture.

I would also think about removing the broken pediment top to your corner cabinets and replacing them with a more tranditional crown molding. It should be a relatively easy fix if you or DH is handy.

I love the chandelier, and I actually prefer the cream shades over stark white.

Dee

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Computermom- You should know that to do the mock up, I only used 2 tools: Benjamin moore's free online paint tool and then the standard MS Paint. I used the BM tool to paint the walls and then copied, pasted and free-handed everything else. :) Thanks!

Carolfm - thanks for the link. Not a huge fan of that particular chandy, but I would be willing to mix black and crystal like that.

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

The thoughts which I had immediately were already addressed, but I'd like to really emphasize:

-paint the back of your darling cabs a deep charcoal grey and load 'em up with your silver-banded china. It'll look *great*.

I don't think you need to change the color of your rod -- it's fine as is.

Gotta go -- school bus is here, back later.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

For the shades I would find a complimentary fabric that works with the curtains and apply the fabric to the drum shades. It's relatively easy to do by tracing the shade onto some craft paper to use as a pattern, then cutting the fabric. You can add some trim also. You can customize those shades for very little cost.

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kmcg - that's a great idea! My only concern - will it block light too much to have two layers of fabric?

Just to complicate things, here are two other chandys I have been eyeing:

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops, I also forgot to mention...

My china is in the cabinets :) You just can't see it because it's white.

And I did paint the back of the cabs... but I painted them the wall color. I guess there isn't enough contrast to really make an impact.

And I agree - I am totally with changing the hardware on the built-ins. I was thinking little crystal knobs to add a little sparkle. Thoughts?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I think the mirror painted or silver-leafed will look super. You might also consider making the scones silver and remount closer to the mirror and just see how they look. Might also consider purchasing corbels to paint and put directly under the sconces.

I agree with others who have stated to do nothing to the pedimont tops of your corner cabinets.

You have come a long way from where you started with your vision of your dining room. Good job. Perservere.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Can you get some mirrors cut for the back of the china cabinet? If you go to a glass store this usually can be done very inexpensively. Just give them the dimensions you need. And then you can glue them in yourself.

Or, I would pick a wild color that goes with your color scheme and paint it that color...turquoise? This is coming from someone who just painted the interiors of her foyer closet Hot Pink....

You should look at Overstock's selection of chandys. You can find drum shade chandys with some crystal for $150 and lower. Some are really cool too.

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I got an idea but I need honest opinions:

Instead of the current wall sconces, what if I did something like this:

And put lime green flowers in it?

Hubby kind of sold me on the lime green accent color, and I now want to bring that color into the kitchen that I am working on to tie the two spaces together.

Cheesy? Pretty?

I want honesty :)

And if I were to do a silver leaf on the mirror... what do I need for that? Just a jar of the silver leaf and some glue? I've never attempted anything like that before.

And what are your thoughts on the new fixtures?

And Beekeeperswife: I LOVE your house and all the color you use. I will certainly try to add a little punch and sparkle to those built ins. Your idea of the mirrors is a good one!

• awm03
    13 years ago

If you like black with your wall color, maybe this 24" chandy would work. It has a modern/transitional vibe, doesn't break the bank, ties in with your curtain rod, & would look great with colored silk shades:

Click the link at the website to look at larger views. It has pictures of various shade colors (including gorgeous brown silk ones; may not work with your colors, but it sure is fabulous).

I love rmkitchen's suggestion to deepen the color of the cabinet insides. Would charcoal gray work, as she suggested? Tie in the curtains, the cabinet insides, chandy shades, seat color & voila!

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron 6 arm chandelier

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

While I love eclectic, it is hard to do. I think I'd stay fairly traditional here... maybe like:

Notice the big change is turning the mirror vertical. I think the proportion is better that way -- particularly when you envision wainscot to the height of the built-in doors.

I like the idea of lime green plant in wall vases, but the cost of live plant replacements...might not be ideal. The only thing missing, I think, is pattern and texture. That's where I'd go more modern. Maybe one of those (admittedly trendy)cowhide rugs of subtly colored small squares. Or some interesting texture or pattern for the chair seats. Do you have a clearer shot of your drapery pattern?

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gwbr - Thanks for the mock up! It helps me to put things in perspective a bit. I agree, the cost of the plants would be high... would fake ones be super tacky?

awm - I do like that chandelier! I will have to think about it.

Here is a close up of the curtain fabric. I love the pattern.

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

A couple of rug thoughts (both about $500 from RugsUSA). First is the subtle cow-hide, and then the lime... Not sure if I like the lime with your drapery fabric. What do you think?

And yeah, fake flowers pretty tacky (IMO).

• awm03
    13 years ago

makeithome, I'm glad you like that chandelier too. I think it's so graceful. And for $130... Wish I needed a chandy or else I'd get it myself.

Here's a mock-up. I think you preferred white shades, but they didn't show up well, so I used dark just for demonstration purposes:

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Those cabs make this a room I always wanted to own. How knowledgeable are you about historical styles of interiors? If you can find some books illustrating Am Rev to 1840s period and if you care to follow that muse, you're well on your way with that fixture, table, chairs, and corner cabinets. Mirror is also good, but they'd hang it vertically and flank it with something heftier.

Some ideas if this intrigues you...

1) paint and mouldings can do a lot here. If you echoed the color of the cabs on the wall trim, you'd emphasize both. Painting the inside of the cabs is very accurate--a contrasting color OR a fabric.

2) make a faux panel of moulding to enclose the mirror and whatever ends up flanking it. If that's a wainscotting on one wall, make the the bottom of the rectangle of moulding match the height of the wainscot. The crown moulding is a great addition.

3) retain the sconces for now, but find something more interesting and heavier if you can. Try brass or gilt paint? And cruise for a discarded chandelier that you can plunder for strings of crystals to work into the sconce. Or the equivalent. You need twinkle on that sconce. And big candles.

4) In the cab, include some porcelain plates or teapots or vases that are in the groove of historical china and porcelains. OR find some eye-popping oriental stuff. Imari style with a lot of iron red, for example.
    Another option is some pewtery colored material. Or best of all, silver.
    Historically, these cabs with glass fronts were showplaces for family heirlooms.

4) look for historically inspired fabrics with some presence. Shimmery moire silks? Paisleys? toile? Large check? a repro print from a validated source, such as Schumacher, or a museum, or Williamsburg or Sturbridge or such, or fine linen. The paisley above is okay.

5) watch for an oriental style carpet that is as large as you can afford. Even if it's really beat up! If you get a beat up one, later on when you can afford it and you know what colors really do up this room, you can choose your colors for the rug better, but for now, any oriental rug will help set the theme.

6) oil paintings, ornithological or botanical prints, etchings, plates on wall hangers, copper or brass or silver pieces, they're all good. OR go ironic and put in a modern piece of wall art for counterpoint

7) in additional furniture pieces, watch for mahogany to match the deep color of your table. Lots of 1940s mahogany is being sold at estate sales now for really affordable prices. Or find other pieces that fit the groove, even a brass tea cart.

8) Watch the sales for brass or silver candlesticks, glass chimneys, candles, appropriate trays for under centerpieces, great vases. When you set a fancy table, use linen placemats and let the wood table be a star! And use the china, even if all the pieces don't match. Treat the room as if you inherited an estate and this is old family stuff you're showing off.

And be sure to enjoy that dining room as a place to eat well with friends!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I love the chandelier, but I think the problem is the shape of your mirror. The round mirror looked better, probably because your china cabinets are grid, your dining room chairs are diagonal grid and your current mirror is rectangular. All hard edged lines.

Sorry, this is probably not what you want to read, but I'd use the mirror and sconces in another room and get something round or oval (to pick up the curves of the chandelier) for this space :)

• msrose
    13 years ago

There's definitely nothing wrong with adding a punch of color if that's what you want, but I really like the monochromatic feel you have going right now. I think the 1st rug gwbr54 posted would fit right in.

Laurie

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florantha- I don't know too much about historical decorating, but I do enjoy the corner cabinets. I definitely plan on accessorizing them more, and doing what people here have suggested- painting the back of the cabs a more striking color. Charcoal gray or a dark chocolate brown both sound good to me.

I am looking forward to accessorizing.

Lavender- you are right, as were a couple other people here... the straight edges do seem to be a large part of the problem. I talked to hubby and all he asked is that the mirror be used somewhere else in the house and not go to waste.

The spare bedroom needs a mirror :)

I will start looking for another round mirror. Maybe oval?

awm- thank you for the mock up! That chandelier looks stunning in the room. It makes me realize that I really like the darker finish. And the shape is more flattering to the room than the other darker chandy that I liked.

I am missing the sparkle though...

Do you think it would be possible to swag strings of crystal on that chandelier?

Mrose- I agree that the monochromatic look actually works pretty nicely. Which I think is why I have had such a hard time finding accessories that I like, lol. That being said, the room is still lacking something, and I feel like it needs just a little pizazz. But, maybe not too much?

• awm03
    13 years ago

Swag crystal strings? Possibly. I'm all thumbs & couldn't pull that off, but maybe somebody here could better advise you.

You could buy bobeches & hang prisms or beads from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: bobeches and other crystal goodies

• User
    13 years ago

Glad you have resolved the mirror issue, and agree that an oval or round mirror is better suited to your space.

However, I would get rid of the sconces; they are insubstantial and don't add anything to your overall look. Two or three small square or rectangular prints arranged on either side of your mirror would add more interest, or if you are married to the idea of sconces, perhaps you could find something more substantial.

I am not usually a fan of shiny nickel chandeliers, but having said that they sometimes fit perfectly into an overall scheme---it's hard to say until all the pieces are in place. Keep your receipts for the new lighting :)

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

I love the chandelier you're considering, and the wonderful corner cabinets~~i'm jealous. What i'm not too crazy about are the sconces or the mirror~I think you can find a mirror for the same price with a little more pizzaz ~I really like the sunburst. The rectangular mirror is just too commom for your room, and I don't think you would be happy with it in the long run.The sconces seem too skimpy, and with the new 'chandy', you'll want something that is as equally attractive so the two are compatible.

It looks like a beautiful room,and i'm with you, it needs some *bling*, aka, sparkle. ;o)

• catkin
    13 years ago

Is there room for a shallow console table between the hutches? It could be a great chance to add interest to that wall, maybe with some lamps, etc.

You're wise to do the bones first! It will evolve.

Looking forward to your finished room! :~)

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys!

I do want a small buffet to put against the wall with the built ins... but maybe that will be too much if I have the wainscoting too? I could have a buffet and just have chair rail and crown going around the room. I would love to find lamps to sit on the buffet, along with the oval mirror. It would look very pretty. Reminds me of the dining room of Thriftydecorchick, which I love.

I will wait to take down the sconces and the mirror until I find replacements only because... I really don't feel like patching the holes right now, lol.

Now the question still remains... the black chandy that awm posted, my original one, or a new one?

• User
    13 years ago

I would look for something newer and fresher than either the original or the black chandelier, maybe a light with a drum shade? The black does not add anything to the table and chairs and built-INS, both of which are lovely, btw. Trying to update with a type of chandelier (black one) that already looks dated is a waste of money. You don't have anything else in the room that says wrought iron rustic, transitional/country bronze or any of the other types of rooms a chandelier like that would complement.

It's often easier to update traditional decor with some piece or element that is a little more modern than you would normally select---it makes the room seem updated and fresh while remaining traditional. I'm not. Expressing this very well, I am afraid. . . . Just speaking from a perspective of one who has very traditional tastes but is faced with the same issue-----updating for a newer look.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

THIS mirror would be gorgeous! It brings in sparkle, it is transitional without losing the traditional vibe. I think it is perfect in every way for your space!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellesol Mirror

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kmc- that mirror is gorgeous! And the price really isn't that bad.

I will have to show hubby :)

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Be sure to look at the dimensions!

• catkin
    13 years ago

Yes, check to see how far it projects.

I returned two similar mirrors from JCPenney, Amberlyn mirrors. Despite the fact that they were gorgeous, to me they looked like large mirrored bowls hung on the walls.

• User
    13 years ago

Kmcg, that is a fabulous find! That mirror would be beautiful in the OPs dining room.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I didn't read all the responses so not sure if this was already suggested, but it would be very easy to use Rustoleum and spray paint the sconces if you prefer the nickel chandeliers. I've used it before with excellent results--there is something like a hammered nickel finish that would be perfect. I do think the sconces need to be placed closer to the mirror. What I would probably do is measure distance from mirror to corner hutch and do 1/3 the distance for the sconces. Your DR is looking lovely so far.

• Arapaho-Rd
    13 years ago

I came across this website - LightOutlet.com and know nothing about it. Can't find it on the BBB website either but it's a cute chandelier at a great price. Not sure if it's the right size but maybe there are others. Thought you might like to take a look. It's 1/2 way down the page - I don't know how to pull a pic in :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Progress Lighting Chandelier

• Arapaho-Rd
    13 years ago

I was too quick - here's the same light at Home Depot for $71. Looks like the chandelier comes without shades.

Here is a link that might be useful: Progress Lighting Chandelier