SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esga

I'm hiring a professional organizer

esga
18 years ago

I have decided I can't do it alone, and I don't have to do it alone. I've already gotten recommendations from one online site that puts you in touch with organizers, and I've looked at the NAPO people in our area.

I have done a lot on my own, but not enough. I have redundant filing systems, and I have never been able to devise a retrievable system for manuals - garden tools, kitchen appliances, drills (where are the rechargers for the rechargeables, by the way?), phones, TV, VCR . . . it goes on and on. And I want design help, so that my rooms look nice with the storage solutions in them.

There was one woman who is a clear standout: she has 2 books out (which I am ordering) on chronic disorganization and organizing for people with ADD. (She also has one on organizing for disaster, but I'm not there yet). Unfortunately, she isn't free until Feb., and I have some momentum now.

My house looks great for the moment - I had a party last week and shoveled stuff out of the way for that. However, I can hardly walk through the storage room or parts of the garage.

Do you think we are too reluctant to ask for help? I once helped clear out the yard of a woman whose health prevented her from doing it herself. She never asked for help, but she ended up in the hospital, and people from her church got her to agree to let them inside the house. They contacted her neighbors, and we cleaned up outside - cutting brush, pulling ivy off the house (it had actually grown into the brick!). I resolved then to ask for help before I got to that stage. Right now, I can pay for it. I already pay to have the house cleaned twice a month, and the cleaner has to cope with the clutter too. She gets it out of her way as best she can, but she often messes up what systems I have as she does it - last time she took things out of a box designated for give-aways and put them in the garage, and she mixes my piles together. But she has to get things off the floor to clean it!

I worked with an organizer once before, before moving to Georgia, and it did help. So I am hopeful about the experience.

Comments (29)