SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Pictures of crown on different height cabinets?

2ajsmama
15 years ago

Can I see a closeup of your upper cabinets with crown molding? I wanted to put crown on top of mine, but lumberyard says I won't be able to open corner cabinet door if I put crown on lower cabinet to the side of it, since CM sticks out so much and the side of the corner cabinet is the same depth as the straight cabinet next to it. I have 1.5" from face of side cabinet to corner door when it's open all the way to the stops (concealed hinges) so I figure (if I remember trig correctly) I'd have to use 2.125" or less (hypotenuse) crown to have it stick out less than 1.5" from the face. Or did you just use crown on the tallest cabinets and some other flatter molding on side (lower) cabinets?

grendal_fly has a good picture on the kitchen islands thread, but I can't get the resolution good enough zooming in to be able to tell what he did when I zoom in.

I'd also like opinions on whether we should put a flat piece of stock between the top of the cabinet and the crown as a frieze board, and if so, do we bring the higher cabinets all the way to the ceiling (5" from ceiling now, so 2.125" crown would go 1.5" vertically as well as horizontally would need 3.5" spacer which works perfectly for 1x4)? I think it would look strange given the 6" difference in cabinet height to run all the cabinets to the ceiling, so should we just use the same spacer (cover gaps with half round) and leave the shorter cabinets 6" from the ceiling? Thanks!

(I've got stock to fill the gaps above and below thr fridge cabinet to bring it to same height as side panels.)

If you look at the bottom of the picture, you can see the faces of the cabinets meet on the hinge (left) side of the corner cabinet door.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths