SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worthyfromgardenweb

Weird Designs/Layouts in Old Houses

worthy
13 years ago

Piggybacking on the thread "weird things found in old houses", how about strange houses and designs?

My contribution, with which I've bored my teen daughter too many times like the rambling senior I am, relates to an apparently normal 1970s split level I was inspecting in my real estate hat for a client. Living and dining room on one level, six steps up to the kitchen, another level up for the bedrooms. The rec and utility room was a few steps down from the entry level--a long room at least 25' by 15' wide. At the end a doorway, a turn and a full staircase down to another rec and utility room, this one empty. At the end of that room, another door, a turn and a full staircase down to another empty rec and utility room. At the end, repeat. Four levels. I was disoriented and distinctly queasy. All those science fiction tales I used to read for endless hours were welling together and coming true. But at last no more doors. I traced my way up, and up and up and out, only yielding to a vast sigh of relief when I exited the front door. Twenty years ago and that awful empty layercake still appears in my nightmares.

Comments (8)