SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Weird section of wall - paint it ceiling, wall, or trim color?

lkplatow
14 years ago

After 6 years of living with test splotches on just about every wall, I finally picked a color and am having a painter come in next week and paint - yahoo!!! But I have a dilemma about a weird little section of wall and I just know that all the great minds here are going to know the right answer!

Our front stairwell has this odd section of wall and I'm wondering whether it should be wall color (kind of a yellowy beige), ceiling color (which is just a lighter version of the wall color) or trim color (white).

I'll attach some pics of the area in question at the end of this post. It's the small section of wall that bands the second floor floor joists. At the top of this section(below the bullnose hardwood flooring) there's a piece of molding (sort of like a small crown molding, I guess). At the bottom, there's an L-shaped corner molding that's also wood. In between is drywall. Currently it's all painted builder's white paint, so there's no help there!

Now - should I highlight any of this molding by painting it trim color or should I just paint it whatever color I paint the drywall area? And what color should the drywall area be? It directly flows into the ceiling above the stairs but it's vertical like a wall. So I'm confused!

I'm thinking it would make the most sense to do the drywall here the wall color, highlight the "crown" molding by painting it white, and paint the L shaped molding the wall color where it's vertical and the ceiling color where it wraps around to the 1st floor ceiling. But is that too goofy? I didn't think I'd want to paint the L shaped corner molding white, because it would sort of look too stripey, wouldn't it -- like this small stripe of color between two white racing stripes.

Another option would be to paint the whole darn thing (crown molding, drywall, and corner molding) white like a big band of trim molding but then what do I do with the vertical part that is right in front of you as you come down the stairs -- would that look stupid white?

Somebody help!

Oh, if it makes a difference, the painter is only going to do walls and ceiling - his quote for the trim was unaffordable (because we have so.much.trim and it's currently oil paint so it all needs to be primed before painting) so I'm doing it myself. So anything that makes for less edging for me gets bonus points! (Also, that's why the "crown molding" part looks kind of discolored in the pics - I had started to prime it, then wondered if I should be painting it the wall color or the trim color and then I just got more confused the more I looked at the whole area!)

Comments (23)

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I say wall color, seems like it is part of a wall, so would be a good match. JMHO :-)

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Same color as ceilings. This part is the "ceiling" of your stairwell.

• Related Discussions

Paint Ceiling Trim/crown color or wall color?

Q

Comments (6)
    I keep on looking at my ceilings and crown, and definitely can tell that the ceiling looks higher in the rooms where it is a different color from the crown molding than in the rooms that have ceiling and trim the same white color. Obviously makes sense since it looks like the ceiling starts lower, i.e. where the crown starts. Now, how would it look if I painted the crown molding the same color as my walls? It should make the ceiling appear higher. (However, my walls are darkish yellow). Crown Molding the same as ceiling Crown molding the same as wall Crown molding different from ceiling and wall
    ...See More

Paint ceiling/walls and trim same colour but flat or eggshell?

Q

Comments (3)
    Not weird at all. Actually gives just the right amount of subtle variation. Walls: flat or sateen/velvet(depending on how a paint company calls it) or eggshell(depending on the room-kitchens/bathrooms/kids' rooms/dens are doing better with higher sheen level). Woodwork: semi gloss. Ceilings: flat (you can go also high gloss if you wish and if the architecture supports it but it should be done by highly skilled professional, and usually is prohibitively expensive)
    ...See More

Picking a ceiling color with BM Gray Owl walls & Simply White trim

Q

Comments (2)
    oops, I just saw this & was going to suggest you add a little Grey Owl to white so that the ceiling wouldn't make the trim disappear. It sounds luscious!
    ...See More

Help Picking Paint Colors for Trim/Ceiling/Walls!!

Q

Comments (4)
    If you want to go for the same color throughout, you can, but at the very least, go for a different finish on the walls vs the trim. Definitely go for a more matte finish on the walls and something more in the semi-gloss range on the trim. If you love the color, go for it!
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    14 years ago

Since it has trim on top and bottom anyway, I would paint it trim color. It could also be considered like a beam or joist since it visually supports the second floor. I guess that makes it one of each.

• bmabey
    14 years ago

I would paint this 'weird section of wall' under the spindles the same as the wall color. I would not draw attention to the molding that is just above and below this little section of wall because it really does not need to be focused on. The crown and other beautiful molding you have will be gorgeous in the white. Were you wondering about the 'ceiling' part of the stairs going down too? That to me would be the same as the ceiling color. You have a nice house! I love the transom windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: paint color

• denali2007
    14 years ago

I would paint all of it the wall color.

• midwifekim
    14 years ago

all of it wall color

• kangell_gw
    14 years ago

I would go with painting the drywall portion the same as your wall color and the 'trim' the same as your trim color.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I'm going to vote all of it ceiling color, to avoid too many lines competing with stair rail + a "hat band" effect.

• User
    14 years ago

trim color

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I would paint the wall under the trim/spindles and where it continues under the stairway "ceiling" trim color. I think it will look like a nice wide molding under the upper hallway painted this way.

The stairway "ceiling" I would be tempted to paint the wall color since it meets almost side by side with a wall on the right side. I think if you paint that ceiling color it's going to look a bit odd.

Also, with the other area painted the trim color, having the stairwell ceiling and adjoining wall the same color will make the area seem more unified vs. different colors on every wall.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I'm with kangell on this one. Wall color for the drywall section and molding/trim painted like the other trim work.

• lkplatow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

It's funny, because as soon as I posted this question and really looked at the pics, it became immediately obvious to me that I should paint the whole band white, like a big band of trim, and I felt kind of silly for even asking. But I thought I'd keep mum and see what everyeone else had to say, and it's funny that you are all so divided on this....I don't feel bad for being confused, and now I'm not so sure anything's obvious!

I'm still thinking that because the house is built to look like a 200 year old farmhouse, painting that section white like a big band of trim would be consistent with the stairwells I've seen in older houses (though of course, the area in front of you where it abuts the stairway ceiling is liable to look goofy there, since there's no trim band to separate it. Maybe I can add a little divider piece of trim if it ends up bothering me.)

My issue with making that section wall color and the trim the trim color is that I'll have a very small band (9" or so) of wall color with two white stripes above and below. Or are you guys not considering the corner trim as trim and would just do that as wall/ceiling color? The painter did not seem to think I should highlight that little corner trim and he's probably right - it's more utilitarian than pretty (and there's one going up the corner of the stairs ceiling too - would I paint that all white too? Won't that just end up looking very stripey and choppy?

Anyhow, I'm still reading all your opinions and taking it all into consideration - I've got a couple days to decide, LOL!

And if somebody out there wanted to photoshop a few different versions, they'd be my hero!!!

I can definitely take your suggestion to paint the stairwell ceiling the wall color - I thought I couldn't because it flowed into the 2nd floor ceiling, but it turns out there's crown molding up there to break the line. The ceiling and the wall colors are very close (I wanted to get the exact same color but the paint store folks talked me into going a shade up since the lighting on a ceiling tends to make it look darker (or so they say -- I hope they're right!).

I found some more pics taken in better light a few years ago (and without all the "in-the-middle-of-painting" mess). Maybe one of these would be better to photoshop, if anyone is willing.

Thanks, and keep the opinions coming!

• lsst
    14 years ago

I have the same situation and the section is painted the wall color.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Another vote for trim color. In fact at first I thought that it was big fat trim!

Our stairway is exactly the same but over 100yrs old and exactly where your 'wall' part is, my dark stained quarter sawn oak trim is that thick. If you'd take your whole section in question (including trim) and make paint it dark brown (which I'm not suggesting you do) you'd have my stairwell.

• lkplatow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ttodd and lsst - got any pictures? I'd love to see them!

• ttodd
    14 years ago

You know I never thought of it until I posted but I don't have any pics from that angle. Will try to get some posted for you tomorrow.

Great space and entryway BTW! Really just wonderful! Is your place new construction? Because if it is they did a great job creating an 'old' space.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Well I guess it's too late, but just wanted to say that I can understand why as soon as you saw the pictures you thought trim, because that's just how I see it too. Even though it's of sheetrock/wallboard, it reads "trim" to me. I think painting it the wall color would only lesson it's "look".

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I have a similar situation and it's painted the wall AND ceiling color... because in the stairway my walls and ceiling are the same color! (BM Everlasting) If your wall color is light, you might consider doing the same thing.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Here's my similar section (Ignore the dust!):

• awm03
    14 years ago

I'd paint it the trim color.

Here's a crude mock-up of what it would look like as the wall color. I think it looks choppy.

• lkplatow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all! Ttodd and awm, those pics really help. I think you are right - trim color it is. If I don't like it, I can always do it wall color later. In fact, I'll just have the painter skip it completely -- it will stay white like it is now and when he's done, I'll get the idea of whether it looks right in white or not. If not, I'll paint it wall color.

Thanks all! Now, if I can only get over my "issues" about hiring a painter in the first place. This is my first time hiring a painter. I've always done my own painting and really enjoy it -- I'm just hard up for time these days with a job and 2 kids. I tend to be persnickety about the final paint job and often do 3 or 4 coats because I'm not happy with the coverage of 2.

But I don't like ladders (or falling!) so I knew we were going to hire a painter to do the tall walls over the stairs and in a big open two-story area over the breakfast room. The painter we picked came recommended by a friend and his price seemed good ($300 for the tall stuff) so I asked him what it would cost to do the rest of the walls and ceilings that aren't done - he quoted another $800. Still seems like a good deal for all this space, but I'm having pangs about paying $800 for painting walls I can very well reach myself. Then again, I'm going to have my hands full wtih all the trim, plus we have two small kids who would probably rather be going places with mom and dad on the weekends instead of hanging out in the house while mom and dad paint.

And I'm worried that I won't be happy with the final job because of how picky I've been in the past. He says he'll do as many coats as I want (for an extra fee, of course) but the prices he quoted only include 2.

So anyway, I'm very nervous about how this whole experience is going to go...hoping I end up happy and feeling like the money we're spending is worth it.

Thanks for all the advice!

• awm03
    14 years ago

Good, lkp. Yes, painting it later DIY is a cheap and easy solution if you don't like it white. I think it should be the same sheen as the trim, though, because it really does look like part of the gorgeous trim in your beautiful home. In fact, I was a little surprised that you asked the forum about this because your design tastes are wonderful. I thought, uh oh, this must be a really tough problem if lkp can't decide what to do, LOL!

• lkplatow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awww, you're very sweet, but I can't take credit for all the trim and nice details...they were here when we bought the house!

And right now, the house is a total (and I mean TOTAL) wreck. Between painting and toy overload from Christmas and lack of cleaning (because I've bene painting) and stuff being rearranged from painting and a giant rug pad that I need to lay down but can't because I piled all the furniture in that room so I could paint and....whew.

But thanks for the compliment anyway!