SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

How to cut through studs on a lathe and plaster wall?

artemis78
11 years ago

We are widening the frame for a medicine cabinet and I would love advice on the best way to cut through a stud or a block (we have the option of either) with minimal damage to plaster on the other side. Our house originally had a medicine cabinet that was removed and drywalled over years ago (probably mid-70s based on fixtures), and we're finally replacing it (yay!) The good news is that when I cut the drywall patch off, the original framing was still intact. The bad news is that I am 3/4" shy of the width I need to fit the new cabinet.

We can either take the space from the block--when the house was built the stud must have been modified so the block is just the height of the cabinet opening--or from the stud on the other side. Taking it from the stud will get the cabinet close to centered over the sink, but I'm thinking that taking it from the block will be smarter as far as not damaging plaster on the opposite side of the wall--but maybe this isn't a huge concern? We can live with having the cabinet off center since someday we hope to redo the flooring and we can move the sink over an inch then.

Based on what I can find on how to do this, my tentative plan is to use a circular saw to cut most of the way through the wood and then use a chisel as I get close to the plaster keys for the opposite side of the wall. Any ideas on whether this will work, or if there's a better way to do it?

Thanks!

Comments (6)