SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpaquette_gw

Storm Windows - anyone have pics?? And that old debate.

kpaquette
15 years ago

Hubby and I are in the midst of a massive inside out, top to bottom renovation of our 1850's Victorian. It has original windows, and no storms.

I've read through a few of the threads here and even before I did, was aware of the restore vs. replace debate. ;-) We live in a historic district where "technically" replacing original windows is prohibited. I say technically because everyone seems to have done it anyway, usually with hideous vinyl.

We are on the fence about it. I appreciate maintaining the architectural integrity of the house. However, the house was in such poor condition when we bought it, it has been pretty much gutted. We are, however, having custom items made to replace originals when necessary. If we did replace the windows, they would be with custom wood sash kits. The reasons for this would be a) because from what I've seen, storm windows are unslightly IMO, and b) the cost of a quality restoration w/storms wasn't going to be that much different than the sash kits. Or I should say, the difference wasn't enough to disqualify sash kits in terms of eventual cost recovery in energy savings. (however, we are waiting on the final #s from our contractor - and will get more bids - I say that based on general guesstimates that we've gotten.)

I also don't really want to disobey the Historic District folks, but that's a whole other topic.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures any of you may have of your restored windows with storms. Anyone with custom wood storms? That would be good to see pics of, too. So many people in our historic neighborhood have already replaced their windows, I don't have much to look at around me except for cheap storms, really.

Comments (8)