SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohpup

Chillers for filtered water - concerned about reliability?

poohpup
12 years ago

The thread on filtered water has me begging to ask this question.

My husband is very laid back regarding the kitchen remodel. He hasn't even looked at the plans! He totally trusts me and pretty much doesn't care as he doesn't cook/clean up at all. The ONLY thing he wanted in the new kitchen was cold drinking water. We remodeled in our previous home and bought a refrigerator with chilled water in the door. He didn't like it because it was too slow and not cold enough and really wanted an instant cold at the sink. I'd planned on putting a chiller with filtered water in but was scared off by all the negative things I read and heard. That previous remodel I mentioned was because of a failed faucet that caused over $27,000 in damage to our home.

Anyway, one plumbing supply place I was getting bids on said they really didn't recommend chillers because of their high failure rate and tendency to burst and cause water damage. Scary. The only one they would recommend if someone insisted on getting one was the Insinkerator brand. Keyword - insisted. I purchased Waterstone faucets for the new kitchen and Waterstone's site has a disclaimer for those using chillers that use of a chller on one of their products will void the warranty. I called Waterstone and was told that if I insisted on using a chiller with one of their faucets, they recommend using a hot only filtration faucet because it is vented, however that would still void the warranty. Every plumbing supply company that I've talked with has said the essentially the same thing - avoid chillers or put one in at your own risk.

So here I am putting in this gorgeous new kitchen and the ONE thing my husband said he wanted isn't going to happen. I feel terrible about him ending up with a Brita in the fridge.

I read on the other thread that several have put in chillers so . . . . I'm asking what others have heard/experienced.

TIA!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure