SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boxiebabe

Please show me your wood floors with your cherry cabinets (pics?)

15 years ago

We have cherry cabinets, with a medium brown stain.

We need to select which wood floors we want.

I've had at least 50 floor samples splayed across my kitchen and I can't make up my mind. Wood/Wood always did confuse me.

If you have medium tone, cherry cabinets and a wood floor, would you please be so kind as to post a pic of your floor/kitchen?

It would be helpful if you could also post the specifics of your floor:

Engineered/Solid?

Manufacturer?

Wood species?

Stain color/natural?

I've been banging my head against a wall about this for over 6 months.

I'm worn out!

Hellllllp?

Thank you,

Boxie

Comments (27)

• 15 years ago

Cabinets: Valley Custom Doors Cherrywood with a brandy stain and chocolate glaze (http://www.valleycustomdoor.com)

Floors: Victoria Floors Antique Collection Coique Chocolate, Engineered 7" wide planks (http://www.victoriafloors.com)

{{!gwi}}

A closer look at our flooring.

Jodi-

• 15 years ago

Jodi, your floors are beautiful (and your kitchen too!). I visited the flooring company's website, but it doesn't say where it's distributors are located. Where did you purchase yours? Although your cabinets are quite a bit darker than mine, there is another color that might work - now I just want to find out more info such as pricing, specs and availability.

Thanks much,
    Boxie

• Related Discussions

Show me your pics of light wood floor options please!

Q

Comments (0)
    We are building a custom, very modern home and have been planning to go with polished concrete floors on main level. Now I'm unsure! If you have light wood floors, please share your pics and tell me what type wood/stain was used. Thanks!!!!
    ...See More

Show me your oak floors with cherry cabinets

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't have oak floors or cherry cabinets, but maybe some help. Try posting this question over on the main kitchen Forum. Much busier there and you will likely get more responses. This Forum is more for chatting and is less trafficked. Also look in the finished kitchens. Starpooh set it up to be searchable, so you should be able to pull up any kitchens with that combo. Good luck! Here is a link that might be useful: finished kitchens
    ...See More

show me your pics of natural white and cherry cabs (please!)

Q

Comments (0)
    i would love to see lighter/natural cherry kitchen mixed with white cabs. anyone have some pics to share? i am planning a cherry kitchen (wheat stain), american walnut floors and carrera tops. contemplating a short white run of cabs with unoiled belvedere soapstone tops. too much contrast? should i just do everything the same? love to get some input from people who breathe eat and sleep kitchens. thanks! Here is a link that might be useful: not a useful link...just my blog
    ...See More

Please show me pics of your laminate countertop with Oak Cabinets

Q

Comments (2)
    Wow cordovamom, they look good with the oak. I have seen deepfossil but the little chip didn't show how well it would go with oak. I may have to take a look at this again. I also noticed you don't have the laminate backsplash piece. I like that look, I am guessing you had it custom made? Thank you so much for taking the time to post!!
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

This is a far less glorious kitchen (still in progress), but here are my 90-year-old douglas fir floors with cherry cabs with a nutmeg stain.

I sometimes worry that it's too monotone ORANGEY, what with the copper & all (I had originally wanted soapstone counters), but it's a very warm space and everyone's favorite in the whole house.

• 15 years ago

"I sometimes worry that it's too monotone ORANGEY, what with the copper & all (I had originally wanted soapstone counters), but it's a very warm space and everyone's favorite in the whole house."

I like it, it's restful, if that makes any sense.
    Is it an optical illusion, or do you have a cover on your prep sink?

• 15 years ago

idrive: thanks -- and ha, yes, it's a cherry cover that my woodworking father made for me. It's gorgeous, matches my cabinetry, & has little cutouts to lift it on and off. Ostensibly it doubles as a cutting board, but I'd actually kill anyone who chopped on it. :-)

• 15 years ago

Boxie, we got our flooring through an Orange County (Southern California) kitchen company. I suppose you could contact Victoria Floors and see where their distributors are.

Jodi-

• 15 years ago

Cabinets are custom Cherry with a light stain to lessen color oxidation over time.
    Floor are natural Brazilan cherry

• 15 years ago

grendal fly: Your floors are GORGEOUS. What manufacturer is this, and where did you purchase it?

Brazilian Cherry seems to be what we're most considering at this point. Our cabinets are similar in color to yours.

I am somewhat concerned that the red tones of the floor may clash a little with the orange tones of our cabinets?

Are there also pieces of wood in the floor that closely match the cabinets to tie it all together? (can't tell from the pic - nor can I tell from the small sample I was given of it).

Do you have pets? I also wonder about pet hair. Is this a floor that requires daily sweeping in order to look decent? I consider myself a clean freak, but daily is just too much for even me.

Thank you to all y'all! Please feel free to chime in on the brazilian questions too :)

OH... and those copper countertops and BEAUTIFUL cabinets... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... A+++ CircusPeanut!

Boxie

• 15 years ago

My cabinets are going in Monday. They are a light cherry with brown glazing. Just thought I would post my floor. It's 3inch QS White Oak with a toned down nutmeg stain. I just wanted to bring out the grain more. Hope it helps I will post again after cabinets are in if you'd like.

• 15 years ago

We have natural cherry with brazilian cherry floors, so not quite what you are after, but we liked it so well in the first kitchen that we did it again when we moved. The BC is very hard, and holds up beautifully. We had site finished rustic BC in both, with the smelly/stay out of the house finish.

Here is the current kitchen:

and the prior (not a great photo, sorry):

• 15 years ago

idrive65, your floors are magnificent!!!

• 15 years ago

I have always loved the look of cherry with Brazilian cherry, but now that we have Brazilian cherry, I am very aggravated with how much dust it ALWAYS shows, and any tiny scratches in the finish look white. I would never have it again, and wish so much that we'd gone with the rift and quartersawn oak that was our initial plan...Similar to Marybeth1's.

There have been other threads here with others with the same experience and opinion regarding the more solid-looking dark wood floors. Here are 2 of them:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0116592228946.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0122020118865.html

• 15 years ago

boxiebabe
    The floors were finished on-site with 3 coats of oil.I am not sure who mfg the raw boards since my flooring guy just showed me samples and we went from there. There are some boards that tie in to the cab a little, but they don't clash with the Cherry cabs which have more of the orange tones you talk about. Our floors have a lot of variation in color with some boards have whites to dark blacks , if they were more uniform it might be more of an issue.
    I also think that the look has a lot to do with the other colors we have used including the BM Costal fog walls, bright white trim, white windows with white wood blinds(there a lot of windows in the rest of the room,) and the red accents and the white trim etc.
    We have a dog and the floor does show hair / dirt etc, but not enough that we are sweeping it every day. I do sweep the kitchen prep area a lot since I tend to make a mess when cooking :)
    We did put in a vacpan which has made a quick sweep a really easy task.

This picture give you a better idea of the color of the floors versus the cabs.

Regarding scratches in the finish, the floors have been down now for 9 months and they still look great. We do have a few scratches from dropping heavy sharp objects, but we still love them. Our stairs are also Brazilian cherry with lacquer and are also holding up really well.
    The one issue to consider is that the floors will get darker as they age as shown in this picture. All in all we would put Brazilian cherry down again.

• 15 years ago

Cabinets are cherry - perimeter are in a mid-color 'truffle' stain and island is a dark 'coffee' stain. The trim in our house is oak so I was looking for a floor that would tie-in all the different wood shades. I found it with BR-111 Amendoim (brazilian oak). We went with the 3/4" solid x 3" wide. I am so thrilled with it - the wood is absolutely gorgeous. Lots of variation, which I know is not for everybody.

http://www.br111.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=38

• 15 years ago

"idrive65, your floors are magnificent!!!"

Thank you, eandhl! They are antique/reclaimed white oak. Very practical with a new dog's nails and mud. :P

• 15 years ago

claybabe, what width are your Brazilian Cherry Floors? They are gorgeous. Everyone's floors look great with their kitchen cabinets. I have saved this post by a copy and past to have these beautiful pictures. Thank you all so much! I just must first stain my oak cabinets after my busy season since I want more of a cherry stain. I love Cherry cabinets so much and everyone's floors. I have always loved Grendal_Fly's kitchen and the changes Suzatwork made to her beautiful kitchen. Jodi_in_so_calif's floors always amaze me how beautiful they are in the wider width but I feel in my smaller space and my home office, anything over 5" wide would not look that great but in her home, it looks perfect.

• 15 years ago

I have cherry cabinets with truffle stain (dark) and reclaimed red oak hardwoods with English Chestnut stain.

I like darker floors but felt I needed to go lighter with the dark cabinets. Also, given my druthers I would have gotten wider plank hardwoods, but we had an opportunity to get a houseful of reclaimed wood and jumped on it.

Click {{!gwi}} for larger image, zoomable image.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

My floors aren't real wood (they're laminates), but since you seam to be interested in brazillian cherry, I thought I'd share them anyway.

• 15 years ago

alku...who made your laminate? It's beautiful.

Does laminate really look like REAL wood?

• 15 years ago

Marybeth, I love those oak quartersawn 3-inch. Beautiful. I love the wavey thing going on. I am considering a Karelia quartersawn, but it is 5.11 inch plank that is brushed. A yellowish golden color. Did you look at anyother quartersawn. Love to see other photos. avivacarol@aol.com

• 15 years ago

We wanted a contrast and desired a lighter look. we used 3" red oak quartersawn with no stain and it is beautiful. Same texture as Marybeth but no stain. I think you want to avoid too much of the "same" color. We considered quarter sawn white oak but I was unsure about the green undertone. The red oak has a slightly warm undertone but isn't actually red. We have cherry cabs.

• 15 years ago

Not a great pick, but I have a dark bamboo with my cherry cabinets

Here is a link that might be useful: floor pic

• 15 years ago

suzatwork: i have to say your floors have very much the same grain and variation in tone as my highly-coveted black walnut. they're stunning! i'm wondering how they take stain, since i'd like darker floors? my plan is to go with the walnut but i'll have to get some samples and check the amendoim out. i'll have to look it up, but also assuming this species would be harder than walnut... hmmm... GREAT! more for me to think about! thanks for posting your gorgeous floors.

• 15 years ago

Our floors look almost identical to grendal_fly. Just wanted to show you how much darker they are now, two years later than they were when they were installed. If you don't like reddish tones, they're probably not for you. Ours are Brazilian Cherry, with no stain, finished on-site:

when they were installed:

Now, two years+ later:

:)
    Sarah

• 15 years ago

Lucypwd:

Do you happen to have a pic of your floors/kitchen?

Thanks,
    Boxie

• 15 years ago

Boxie - I am technically challanged and don't have a clue how to get a picture posted to the forum