SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingtim01

Insulating window weight cavities

flyingtim01
10 years ago

So my wife recently got a job working from home, which means I needed to get on making our little office space more liveable. It was hot in the summer and cold in the winter (kinda like the rest of our 1910 'colonial', only moreso). The little office was part of an old addition (the foundation for the addition was field stone, same as the rest of the house). The old drywall had a layer of paper, paint on the paper, a layer of paper, a layer paper, in that order. Some of the windows had leaked at some point as well, and there was some surface mold under the top layer of paper. Because of the lack of any insulation, and the generally poor shape the drywall was in (not to mention the layers of paper and paint) I thought it would just be simpler and a nicer finish overall to rip out the old drywall, insulate and re-rock the walls.

I've insulated the cavities where I can, but I'm left with the cavities on either side of 5 windows where the weights hang. Is the prevailing opinion to put a thin layer of foam board behind the weights in each cavity, to at least provide some R value? I don't like the idea of insulating the entire room and then leaving these big voids. I'll be sealing all the air gaps I can, and then caulking the trim and all, but I guess I'd like to put something in there, if I can.

Comments (9)