SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slateberry

Housekeeping, please comment on elaborate plan for pine floors

slateberry
15 years ago

And others too!

Here is the deal:

House is 120 years old. 3rd floor converting to office for dh. Need to run radiant heating loops in the floors.

Currently, the floors are: Old wide pine subfloor, then pine boards (lovely!!!), then 1/4 plywood, then linoleum, then 3/8 plywood, then carpet and pad. Hee hee! Just have to laugh.

Plan is to go down to joists, then do: 3/4 plywood, radiant heat loop plywood (not warmboard but something like it), then nail back down the original pine boards and finish them with tung oil. That's it.

Questions:

Any tips to get the original rectangular headed nails out in a way that we can reuse them?

Any tips to minimize splitting the pine boards when we remove them?

How far apart do we nail the boards (I guess it depends on temp and humidity when we do it) to avoid buckling or excessive gapping?

How do we prep the boards before applying the tung oil? Based on what I've read, heaving sanding is out, but there are places where something (I dunno, carpet backing, dirt, whatever) is stuck to them. Sounds like I need to do scraping and cleaning or cleaning and very light hand sanding? Right now, you can really feel the grain of the wood, and I don't want to lose that.

Is there anything else we should be asking/concerned about?

Total area is about 900 sq. ft. About 100 sq.ft. will be converted to a bathroom, so that will yield us some spare boards for overage; good in case we run into trouble somewhere. Also we can use the pine subfloor boards in closets, to increase the amount of regular pine boards available for the more visible areas.

Please tell me this will work!

Comments (8)