SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fanner

Waxed wood floor pictures (pic heavy)

fanner
13 years ago

This is a follow-up from discussion on the hardwood floor refinishing thread. I promised to post pictures after I waxed some of my floors, so here it is. The results are not dramatic, but I didn't want them to be. We couldn't be more thrilled with how they turned out! For a bit of background: We have lived in our house for 12+ years. We planned on "some day" having the floors stripped and refinished, but I honestly never *loved* the idea of pristine looking floors. Up against the "worn" look of the rest of the woodwork, and the fact that I love the color and texture of our floors, it just didn't feel right. Thanks to this board, and one much like it, I figured out that my floors were maintained by waxing for the last 105 years. So, to protect them from the serious wear they are showing, I decided to wax them again.

You can see in the pictures that there are some serious stain issues, especially in the dining room. The only real fix for these would be a complete sanding and possibly replacement of some of the boards. Not an option at this time, and since I am just covering them back up with an area rug, they do not bother me in the least.

So, here I will try to post before and after shots. Again, don't expect dramatic results, this is just to show how a good waxing and buffing will spruce up what there is to work with.

Dining room before: (Oak floor)

After:

{{!gwi}}

Entryway before: (more oak)

{{!gwi}}

After: (sorry about the bright sun spot!)

{{!gwi}}

Upstairs hallway before: (maple)

Hallway after:

{{!gwi}}

I didn't get a before of this and am kicking myself now. This was by far the most dramatic change; the upstairs hall was very dull and scratched looking. Here is an after shot:

{{!gwi}}

You can imagine what fun the kids are having sliding up and down this hallway (no slivers so far, thank goodness!)

Comments (6)