SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Suggest A Wall Covering That Is Non-Combustible (Fireproof)?

John Liu
14 years ago

I wonder if I can get some design, aesthetic advice. I don't normally ask for such, figuring that taste is personal, but I am a bit stumped here.

The situation is, one wall of my kitchen needs to be non-combustible (fireproof). Odd, but it just does. I can build the structure to meet that need - fireboard and air gaps - but the surface covering needs to be non-combustible as well. I'm going to look for non-combustible paint, but short of spraying the wall in high-temp muffler paint I am rather skeptical. So, I am thinking I will end up covering the wall surface with something non-combustible.

Can you think of anything that will be attractive? I could have the whole wall sheathed in stainless steel. That seems awfully institutional. Maybe another metal? Hmm, sounds expensive (64 sq feet of copper. . .) I could put tile over the wall. Will it look like a giant urinal? Or maybe like the inside of the New York subway? I guess I could use an interesting tilework design. But there's a fine line between interesting and "must rip out" awful, especially after a few years. There's stainless steel tile. Or glass tile. Even thin glass block. Brick veneer is not to my taste.

You see my problem? I'm not creative enough to think of a surface that will be functional and attractive and interesting and not utterly off-putting in it's weirdness.

Does anyone have any good ideas? Or, know of any fireproof wall paint?

Comments (31)