SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Refrigerator - cd or box in?

User
10 years ago

Hi!
I'm planning a (DIY) mini kitchen facelift. The counters and floors will stay. I'll be staining and glazing the cabinets and possibly adding bigger crown (to the cabinets) along with other things.

We'll be replacing the appliances to ss. I wanted to purchase a counter depth refrigerator, replace and pull the new upper cabinet forward, and add wood panels to build it in.

Here's this area of the kitchen.
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Our current refrigerator is 21.9 cu ft. and, being an expanding family, I just don't think it's practical for us to go below a 20 cu ft. It's 30" deep to the door and 32" deep to the handle.

The refrigerator opening is 36"W from cabinet to cabinet and 69 1/8" H. There's a little lip on the countertop edge in the slide in space the refrigerator goes. Cabinets are 24" D and counters are 25"D.

I can't find a refrigerator that fits the space (looks like I'd have to go to 17cu ft. for cd) AND leaves enough room for the panels.

I mentioned to DH about recessing a regular refrigerator into the wall (laundry room on other side) and he really isn't for that. Maybe it sounds like a bigger deal than what it actually is. I don't know, but I've crossed it off the list of options at this point.

What would you do?
Option 1:
Purchase a counter depth refrigerator that fits the current space and call it done.

Option 2:
Purchase a regular refrigerator and box it out anyhow. Now it's going to stick out from the panels.
kitchenaddict
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

I noticed most regular refrigerators stick out more than mine so I'd probably get the same one in stainless.

My cabinets are Merillat and the panels in the spec book are 1/2" wide. I'm assuming this is standard and you shouldn't go any smaller?

OT from the refrigerator, but would you add thicker crown to the cabinets? If so, what size? I ceiling crown will stay and I was thinking it wouldn't look right to crowd it.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES