SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_devonshire

Copper anyone?

Lauren Devonshire
19 years ago

Does anyone out there work with copper? I'm making trellises. Would like to make other things such as furniture for the garden and art. Looking on the net for copper other then pipe.

Comments (55)

• brickeyee
    19 years ago

Most roofing supply houses have copper sheet in a couple different weights. The most common material weighs 16 oz/square foot.
    It is normally sold in sheets either 3 feet by 8 feet or 3 feet by 10 feet. The sheets can be rolled up to make a cylinder 3 feet high and about 12-16 inches in diameter.

• davidwczerr
    19 years ago

I've had a small project simmering in the back of my head for a long time that involves making small yard lighting out of copper. I'm thinking about the smallish type lights that follow along paths. I have no experience working with copper though, so it will be a learning experience for me. I'm following this thread to begin the learning process.

Thanks, David

• Related Discussions

Outdoor Copper Planter..any advice??

Q

Comments (2)
    I agree with Julie's suggestion. It would work best to have the plants in a separate plastic pot inside your copper pots with the plastic pot sitting in a saucer also located inside the copper pot. Otherwise, any plants in those pots could drown quite easily. A layer of rocks does nothing to prevent the plants from drowing in a pot that does not have drainage holes. You may or may not have issues with the heat cooking the roots of the plants. I use some galvanized metal containers outside my barn and potting shed and they and their soil can get really hot in summer. I work around that by planting trailing plants that shade the sides of the planters or by arranging plants in smaller plastic pots around the metal ones so the plastic pots can help shade the exterior of the metal containers. I also place most of the metal containers where they get morning sun and afternoon shade. With your plastic pots inside the metal pots, it will be easy to lift out your plastic pot containing the plant, lift the saucer out and drain off the water, etc. In weather like we're having right now, you'd have to do this every day or two, and certainly following every rainfall. All my metal containers have holes drilled in them for drainage. It just makes life simpler if I don't have to worry about the plants drowning in their containers. I have grown ornamental sweet potatoes in those metal pots many times, but only in the larger containers so they won't become rootbound. By large, I mean really large--from 10 gallon to 200 gallon. There are other trailing plants you could put in your copper pots if they are not large enough for ornamental sweet potatoes---Creeping Jenny is one that comes to mind. Dawn
    ...See More

Brown, Copper, Gold Anyone

Q

Comments (11)
    Very pretty, CC! I used gold and bronze in my dining room and to decorate the stairway. I started collecting the bronze a couple of years ago with the after-Christmas sales~I had plenty of gold things! I sold my condo last Dec. and didn't decorate, so this was my first year to use it. The two metallics make for a very elegant look. ;o)
    ...See More

Pex to copper fitting

Q

Comments (5)
    Cash Acme, based in Alabama, offers SharkBite Push-Fittings that would be ideal for your application. SharkBite fittings can be connected to cPVC, PEX, and Copper in any combination with no tools. It is certified for underground and behind-the-wall applications. You can pressure test immediately with no wait time. Also it is certified up to 200F and 200psi. Here is a link that might be useful: SharkBite Product Info
    ...See More

Has anyone successfully maintained shiny copper gutters?

Q

Comments (4)
    Here’s the house, in case anyone is wondering. At some point, someone added these heinous 1980s windows — but only to part of the house and so someday, when we have the money, I will do something about that. Also that deck is now a very dark brown and it is falling apart and so we’re gonna have to do something about it pretty soon. The pool is a very dark blue color.
    ...See More
  • JoeJ
    19 years ago

You may want to have a look here for ideas.
    This fella is making some VERY NICE lighting fixtures!!

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: J.T. Cooper Studio

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bookmarked websites. Cooper's site is wonderful! Some years back someone made a copper table and used roofing copper for it because it was big enough. He didn't want to sodder lots of small sheets together. That was on an HGTV show, someone else made a four poster bed frame.It was huge. Lights might not that hard to make if carefully thoughtout before hand. I bought a copper "lamp shade" in the local antiques mall for $12. It needs glass (not a big deal) and wired for indoor use. It is a heavy gage (?) and looks like Arts and Craft design. Lowes doesn't even copper roofing sheets. I did find a website for metal mesh including coppper. Have to find it and copy/paste it here. Think I'll price the roofing. It looks like all suppliers are going to be more then 15 miles from here. Except for Lowes and HomeDepot and they only sell pipe and fitings.

• backyardbill
    19 years ago

Here in Michigan Menadrs carries rolls of copper roof flashing in a couple of different widths and lengths.
    Bill

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Found this site, might be something that will help all of us. It has a search for copper retailers. Sorry flowerkitty, can't walk into a hardware without seeing artsupplies. I feel like a nut talking to my husband in Lowes or Home Depot about "art" projects when there are others around, especially guys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper.Org

• gooseberry_guy
    19 years ago

Interesting site. Too bad I have dial-up!

While looking through this, I remembered that I got some copper sheet about two years ago from a local sheet metal shop. I don't remember if it was something left over from a customers' project, or a regular stock item for them. That might give you another option for a copper sheet source, just start calling around.

GG

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That just might work,looked up the listing in the yellow pages. Have of number of businesses here in Carlisle.

• noworries
    19 years ago

Copper cladding is another application. My BIL does beautiful things with copper over redwood, door skins, roofs, you name it. Hammer it over diamond plate, gratings, extruded screen, manhole covers to create relief. Nail shapes with copper nails to form scales, and on and on. His artistry combined with the technical skill is amazing.

Check out the detail photos on the individual pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sculpture

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I feel humble. At this point in time, I'd be happy to get supplies and a place to work inside this winter. Anyone else want to show off their work? You might as well, it helps to see what is possible.

• cocooner
    18 years ago

Copper turns into a vedigris finish when outside unless it has a protective finish, correct? What if it's inside? I love copper but would not want it to change color should I ever work with it. I love its rich hue.

cocooner

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cocooner,
    Right,copper does not turn green outside unless you clean off the coating. It does turn brown outside. You can clean it with copper cleaner available in grocery stores.Inside it stays copper color unless pissed on by cat(S).

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

i hve been unable to find copper screen. any ideas?

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Try this - don't know what you are going to use the screen for - this is mesh. I did look for screening a few months ago - no luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: twpinc

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

thanks!

• SanAntonioRoseToo
    18 years ago

I'm about to have a custom made range hood 30" wide and 18" high, solid copper with about a 2 or 3" wide band of brass around to bottom edge. I've been quoted $1200. which includes a light or lights (halogen) and filter but not a fan - have to buy that extra - where? Does that sound like a reasonable price?
    Thanks,
    S.A.Rose

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Copper prices have gone up, I don't know about the price of brass.
    Would this be a one of a kind item,hand-crafted?
    Artsy looking?
    Depends on who is making this- a craftsman or a company? Are you in a big city or small town?
    Price depends on many factors, for me to buy, it would be expensive. I live outside a very small city. Our home is not worth a $1,200. range hood. Why no fan, seems odd to pay that much and no fan. I have no idea where you'ld buy a fan. Custom size fan to fit the hood. Maybe someone else out ther with kitchen remodeling experience has an idea.

• brickeyee
    18 years ago

For a custom range hood an exterior mounted fan is often cheaper than trying to find one to fit and then providing the wiring required. AC cable (smooth aluminum jacket) is commonly required.

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

brickeyee,
    Can an electrician install the fan? Can he get her the fan?

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Usually you buy a Vent a Hood fan and they build the range hood around the fan measurements. 1200 isn't bad for a custom range hood in copper. I've seen them up to 8K without the lights/fan. I purchased our Vent a Hood at a residential construction store where I purchase our appliances, fireplace logs and inserts.

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Are you talking Lowes or a small momandpop? Please share info. Sounds good. Eight grand for a range hood?

• jiggreen
    18 years ago

did you ever find your copper for what you needed it for? i was doing a google for "copper sheets" and up popped this thread. funny thing is, i live in carlisle too! i'm looking for copper sheets to replace the ugly glass insets in my kitchen cabinets over my island...i was thinking of copper because i wanted to punch a design in it. i was hoping to find a place that had the perfect size i needed or is willing to cut a larger sheet to size for the 8 insets i need. since it's been over a year since you started looking i was wondering if you ran across any local places that might have what i'm looking for.
    thanks! jeana
    jeana

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, where to begin? Coppersheets and rolls can be bought. But depending on the size of your openings, it might be better to just drive to ACMoore's and buy the number of sheets needed. You can cut the sheets to fit your opening using tin snips- Lowes in the tools section. They used to sell the sheets in Lowes on the Pike a few years ago. No more. While searching I did find sites, I just don't remember exactly what each sold. The problem was shipping. Many places were out of state, even out of the country. Local roofer wasn't sure about selling. I will look up the sites (bookmarked'em), and post the info. I have a very old 'puter and it dies if left on too long. May need a fan or lots more memory. The trellis is ready to be souldered. I work and have many other artsy projects to work on. We live in N. Middleton Twsp. About.com might have some info. Keep in touch via this thread. I haven't given up on copper, just tried and need time to eveything esle.

• jiggreen
    18 years ago

now you got me intrigued..i live in north middleton also! hey, we might be neighbors :) ..i'm off of crane's gap..
    good idea about ac moore.(but the only ac moore i know of is down there off the pike past 581, and i heard it's not open anymore)...or maybe i should try michael's arts and crafts near walmart in mechanicsburg..dang, we need more stores here in carlisle! ( i do think a michael's is going into the new shopping center where kohl's is though, but not till spring) if i get out and about this weekend, i'll do some checking around to see what i can find. if it's possible for you ..can you post some pictures of the trellis? i'd love to see what you've done!
    jeana

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ben Franklin Crafts closed, thats who you're thinking of, ACMoore is located across from Walmart's where the Giant's used to be. Yes, Michael's is suppose to be coming to Carlisle in March. I know where Cranes Gap is, we're on Longs Gap. Depending when the copper projects are finished, I thought about posting them. A lot depends how long the computer lives, it is old and needs help. Need to work outside on garden, didn't do much this summer in the garden, no rain, not enough water in well. Sheets will have to wait until spring, the other copper projects will done worked on over winter. I want to be able to sell them. Have joined CALC again.

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jiggreen

You may want to check this one out.They have coppersheets. DYI.com had a woodcraft project using the sheets to cover a "box" they made to use as a table. http://diynetworks.com/diy/hobbies/article/0,2033,DIY_13951_2276377,00.html
    This could give you an idea of how to cut the sheets. I think using the sheets from ACmoore would be easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guttersupply.com

• jiggreen
    18 years ago

hi greenone!
    i was up at michael's today over by the capital city mall, and i looked for the small sheets, but couldn't find any and the salesperson was clueless. i'm going to try AC Moore this week. I checked out that website, and i like the sheets of copper that they have, but i'm thinking shipping costs would be pretty high.
    :)

• Donnajodesigns
    18 years ago

I'm looking for copper sheeting that can be placed under glass. I need unlacquered sheeting. My problem is the thickness. I need it to be stiff enough that it won't crinkle or crease but not too heavy either. And how do you roll or file the edges so it is not sharp?

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Donnajodesigns,
    Cleaning the copper will remove the coating.The gage of the sheet will tell you how thick it is. I Think the higher the gage, the thinner the sheet is. You may have to go to art supply stores, ie Dick Blick or try the online art supply.Even the websites that sell copper rolls of sheeting would be worth a try. Use sandpaper made for sanding the edge of the of metal. Why under glass?
    Greenone

• flowanda
    18 years ago

I make copper flowers and leaves and often use flashing rolls that I buy at HD or Lowe's. The copper is soft enough so I can easily emboss leaf and flower vein details and shape the pieces, and I can paint and seal the paper-like backing to keep the copper from bending. Sheet copper is just too hard to manipulate and detail.

However, my flowers are not meant to be used outdoors, and I don't think the sealants (Future floorwax is a great stiffener) I use would be watertight to keep the tar/paper backing from pulling away from the copper, especially around the edges.

You can find copper screen at the craft store, but it's expensive and comes in little sizes.

If I am going to patina something, I find that I can substitute brass or brass-coated items, sand them and then use a commercially made verdigris solution to get the copper effect.

I also get great effects from using bronze wool. Copper wool tends to rust on me.

Just my two copper cents!

Flo

• allison0704
    18 years ago

greenone said "Are you talking Lowes or a small momandpop? Please share info. Sounds good. Eight grand for a range hood?"

Sorry to take so long to get back to you....I found this forum by accident in August and didn't check back in until today.

8K was too much for me to pay! We bought our sheet copper from our HVAC guy and used for a backsplash in the laundry room and one place in the kitchen. Our kitchen installers/finishers built a range hood around our Vent-a-Hood liner. Then our HVAC guy came to measure and cup the copper to size for us, since he has the equipment to do so.

Below is the picture before the plywood was put on the hood:
    {{gwi:1561203}}

Here is the hood finished (tile is ordered!):
    {{!gwi}}

Here is our laundry room backsplash:
    {{gwi:1537715}}

• PRO
    The Metal Peddler
    18 years ago

That hood looks great! And gorgeous kitchen! What kind of exhaust system do you have in there? Was that included in the 1200?

1200 is excellent for a copper hood, IMO. Depends on the design of course, straight sides easier than much easier than a curved hood, thickness of copper etc, but as someone said above, this year copper prices are very very high. We buy hundreds of pounds of copper at a time (my husband is a coppersmith) and we pay much more this year than last!

• allison0704
    18 years ago

danielle, Thank you for the compliments. the liner is a Vent-a-Hood. I don't remember how much the liner was but the 1200 figure I was using was from SanAntoniaRoseToo's post way above my first post, not my cost of anything. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

danielle_VA
    Does your husband solder his copper art? I have been trying to get time to solder mine for the past few months - spring, actually. How long can flux stay on copper without being soldered? Does it go "bad"?

• achoo
    18 years ago

try any local metal suppliers who supply local school/college or engineering firms

• gooseberry_guy
    18 years ago

greenone:

You can't leave flux on copper except for the time you are actually working on it. The idea for flux is to help clean the base metal so solder will adhere to it. If flux is not removed after soldering, corrosion will build up on there from the chemicals acting on the copper, until it requires a lot of effort to remove it by sanding or other laborious methods.

A cleaner such as Fantastik or Formula 409 seems to work well on removing flux residue.

GG

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    18 years ago

gooseberry_guy
    guessI have a lot of work ahead of me, the trellis is 7 or 8 feet high, good project for long winter nights. lots of couplings to hold it together and hammered flat tubing for added design. if I ever get this finished, I will take a pic and up load it to show off this "work of art". much thanks for the info.

• elenarainbow
    17 years ago

David, I am trying the same thing. Did you have any luck with the lighting? I wanted to use the solar lights set on top of a copper cylinder. Do you have any tips for me?

• exislander
    16 years ago

Please help! I am installing 2 islands in my kitchen, and have a granite countertop. I want to put copper sheeting on the pony walls surrounding the outside of the islands. It is about 6'-8' long by approximately 4'tall. I am reading these clips on this posting, and I guess what I need to know is: what weight do I need? 16oz or lighter? I figured since it is not going on top, but on the walls, I may not need a very heavy guage copper. Is it copper sheeting I am looking for? and do I apply it as if it were a countertop? Thanks for all your advice!!

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    16 years ago

exislander,
    I would like to help you. I got sway from working with copper.Kept hearing and reading about people stealing it to sell as scrap metal.I would use a lighter gauge. But I think you could buy copper roofing materiel, it would be a heavier gauge. You wouldn'd have a lot of "small" sheets to work with. Don't use glue on it, use copper nails to nail it to your wall. How would you finish the edges?

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

South Central Pa. Not interested in copper hood for stove.We have a Folk Victorian.

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info.You are really into it more then I am. Maybe you could post pix for others so they could get ideas.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"The idea for flux is to help clean the base metal so solder will adhere to it."

Only partly correct.

The copper needs to be completely clean before any flux is applied.

The flux will prevent the formation of oxides as the metal is heated to soldering temperature, keeping it chemically clean.

The solder will then flow out easily since it can wet the chemically clean copper.

Flux has a very limited ability to remove already present contamination, thus the need to clean manually before fluxing and soldering.

Water soluble flux makes less mess to clean up than paraffin type fluxes.

Flux residue (often zinc chloride left over) will create green and white corrosion if not cleaned after soldering.

• a_collie_garden
    14 years ago

In regard to places to purchase copper sheeting - I used Farmers Copper in Texas. They seemed to have quite a large selection of weights as well as widths.

I simply called them up with the dimensions I needed and then cut and shipped within a week. The person I spoke to on the phone was a great help and very willing to work with me. I am putting in copper backsplashes based on what I read on the thread called "copper countertops".

• linzmom65
    12 years ago

i am a beginner to metalsmithing...i (so far) work only with copper...i just love everything about it!!...anyhoo...i am interested in this particular technique i came across which has me jaw droppingly fascinated, amazed and utterly mezmorized and I MUST LEARN HOW TO DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...ahem...excuse me...it was simply a basket weave of copper strips some of the artists' pieces had wires as "wefts",patinas galore...is it as simple as it appears?...basic one over one (like in girl scouts) making a placemat basket weaving?...help please??

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was using copper pipe used in pluming. It was cheap but no longer cheap to work with. Some copper pipe is available as tubing and is easy to bend. The smaller the tubing width the easier to bend into a circle or other shape. It can also be hammered flat into that shape.I was going with a simple design but since people have been stealing it even from US Gov. building site here in the past few years, I still feel that it is not a good idea to have something that big outside where it will be stolen. I paid about $200. back in '04-'05 for the copper.Now if I get the time to work on a new cheap metal, will be the stuff used to carry electric wire.You can stripe old electric power cords for copper,its thin but can be used in art work. Clean it up first. Does this help?

• linzmom65
    12 years ago

i was thinking more along the lines of what i (have hopefully) linked for you below....

Here is a link that might be useful: check this out

• Lauren Devonshire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah yes. You need to find copper sheets. Try cooper roofing supplies. And that lovely green is age or vinager or (ugh) cat pee. You can cut the sheets with metal cutting scissors.They're big. Try cooper jewery wire from DickBlick art supply. The cooper "mat" might be metal mat used to patch holes in walls. Nice work.Some of the work really looks like flattened copper pipe.Very narrow. Home Depot or Lowes.And the wire from old electric lamp cords works, very thin and twised, needs to be stripped of outer covering. She does really lovely work.Copper is not difficult to work with. Cut sheets of copper are sharp and can cut you. She bent some of her sheets or left some as is. Take a good look at what she did and mentally take it apart to understand how it is done.

• billie_ann
    12 years ago

I buy copper online for making embossed christmas ornaments and school projects. The site I'm listing below has a page to show you the different thicknesses and what cutting tools you'll need. Many of the thinner gauges only need scissors but even the thicker gauges only need hand shears. Think this site only sells up to 24 gauge and you only need tin snips from the hardware store. I think there is a project section. They also sell copper for cookie cutters.
    Can't tell from the pictures of the baskets what gauge is used. You can do this with the 24 gauge copper sheet (it's not flattened pipe...at least the ones I looked at). The ends are just folded over on the top and bottom. You can also buy chemicals to paint on to get the verdigris coloring or bury it in "used" kitty litter or suspend it over a ammonia bath. You can texture the copper by hammering it with a deadblow hammer onto a stencil or run it through a tube wringer. I use a rolling mill to texture but that's a little expensive for this project.
    Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: copper supplies

Sponsored