SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chefkev_gw

Seams in laminate countertop for island - OK or bad idea - Help!

chefkev
16 years ago

My island countertop is going to be a six foot radius quarter circle with the range embedded in what would have been the inside 90 degree corner. I wanted granite or quartz, but decided to go with a laminate countertop because of budget and because this is my first ever home kitchen remodel. If I mess up and want to redo the island, the laminate isn't so expensive to replace.

Unfortunately, because the countertop will be oversized I've been quoted $900 for a single piece laminate countertop. I really don't want to spend that much on it because I'm dreaming I'll be able to replace it in 3-5 years with stone. My question is:

Could I go with 3 pieces (two 4 foot rectangles and a smaller quarter circle giving me two seams? How much am I sacrificing in look, structure and durability?

I don't know how to post a drawing, but my island will look similar to Hana B's on the finished kitchen blog except that it will be a little bigger and have an range opposite the chairs where the corner is.

My cabinets arrive in two weeks and I'll need a decision by then - I'd be grateful for any guidance.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)