SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonefishin_gw

Your challenge, - - should you choose to accept it2:

gonefishin
19 years ago

I realize that I have already posted this on the lawn and garden forum, but it involves metal working, fabrication etc and might reach a different audience (or some different ones)here.

That is what they used to say on the old "Mission Impossible (or was it mission redicilous?) show when it was a T.V. seriese, before it became a big hit movie, is as folows:

The problem: I am gonna need a moldboard plow right after the first of the year to turn under mulched greens and compost in the garden. Oh, I could use ol Big Brutus, the man handeling 8 hp front tine tiller built like a Sherman tank, which I have done a few times, but that is too much like work, and I would prefer to flop it over upside down to bury the good stuff then tear it all up and mix it thoroughly, later when preparring the ground for planting. The only plow in my sole possession is one that is a three point hookup that worked on my old Sears tractor (undergoing restoration as I get time), before my oldest son "borrowed the hitch part to adapt it to use on his ATV at the deer lease to make food plots for deer clover, oats etc. to attract game to the area". I can't seem to get him to part with it and bring it back. I have another one, with lighter and smaller arms, but would prefer to fabricate something from scratch that might perhaps be simpler and more functional, and raise and lower with the actuator.

I know that there are design engineers on these boards that have been polite and kind enough to refrain from laughing too hard while I flounder around, nor to make comments about "amateur night at the local highschool gym" and I appreciate that. I have not turned my attention to this much until now, but it's time has come. Meanwhile, I think that my subconscious mind (which I think is considerably smarter than my conscious one) may have been running in the background like one of those insideous computer programs that you dont realize is there. This morning I woke up with non digital images of some materials that I have on hand, some 3 1/2 X 3/8ths" flat strap stock, some 1 1/2" wide, some 2 X 5/8ths" that fits nicely in a slot hitch, some quarter inch 2 X 2" angle, and the goodie of the stock pile, a tie rod off a truck languishing in one of the little metal barrells waiting to be used for something. The end swivels to any direction. I have an idea of how to combine all of them to come up with something that just might work. Time will tell, and I am eager to get crackin on it.

Meanwhile, perhaps there may be those out there that have some input, or better ideas. I will post three pictures below to show the challenge that I am facing, the plow is good, just looks rough, I have already freed up the coulter wheel and repacked it with grease!

Bill P.

Those stainless bars are where the end of the actuator will be, fully retracted. I discovered that what I thought was really tough stainless steel will not stick to that magnetic welding block it is laying on, it might be titanium, or perhaps kryptonite or something. Come to think of it, that may be why I have been feeling sorta weak of late! \":^)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!