SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erikanh

Kitchen in progress:one month since demolition

erikanh
15 years ago

I started to respond to danielle's "Kitchen Timeline" post, wanting to show her how much progress we've made in one week since the cabinets began to be installed. My response turned a little lengthy, and not wanting to hijack her thread, I decided to make my own post.

I wasn't planning to post pictures until my kitchen was totally complete! ... but then I remembered how seeing in-progress photos of other people's kitchens really helped me to understand the sequence and timeline of a kitchen renovation.

Demolition began one month ago, followed by electrical and plumbing rough-in, installation of new windows and doors, framing, drywall, refinishing hardwood floors. Our renovation includes almost the entire first floor -- kitchen, dining room, family room. Since we had nowhere to set up a temporary kitchen, my GC was fantastic about letting us keep part of the kitchen while they worked. I didn't lose the stove and table until the floors had to be refinished, and I had a temporary sink until they began cabinet install this week. I've been cooking with a George Foreman grill, portable burners, a rice cooker, and the old OTR micro. We moved the fridge into the study. I sterilized the downstairs powder room and designated it for washing dishes only.

Cabinets were delivered about 3 weeks ago and stored in the basement. Everything arrived wrapped in blankets and in perfect condition, all correctly sized. The only problem we had was some of the crown molding had some paint irregularities which may mean we're going to come up short. My Crown Point KD was hugely apologetic and is already shipping new pieces.

I have about 26 cabinets, plus panels for the dish drawers, fridge drawer, and wine chiller. My carpenter began installing the cabinets on Monday and as of yesterday, all the cabinets are in. He still needs to finish installing about half the crown molding and some toe boards. The pulls are all on except for the ones that are on backorder.

Appliances arrived on Tuesday, but only the refrigerator is hooked up so far. I won't have a cooktop for another month because the stainless steel counters take 3 weeks to fabricate. The good news is that the rest of the counters are being templated on Monday and may be ready to install by Friday!

The plumber and electrician should be finishing the bulk of their work this coming week. All the outlets and light boxes/cans are there, but none of them have juice. The rest of the appliances need to be hooked up. Once the marble tops are in, my plumber will install the faucets and the prep sink.

In another week or so, I should have a pretty functional kitchen. Of course, there will still be lots of finishing to do -- painting, backsplash, vent hood, trim, final coat of poly on floors, I'm sure there's much more I'm forgetting.

I hope this is helpful to people who haven't started their remodels yet ...

Erika

Comments (24)