SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sterlingsilver_gw

Under cabinet lighting -- rope? puck? LED? Incandescent?

sterlingsilver
15 years ago

I got rope lighting with incandescent -- I looked for LED, thinking it would last longer, but Lowe's didn't have it.

The contractor started putting it up and I'm not sure it was a good choice. First off, it has a fairly thick cord that hangs down that needs to be plugged in, plus that means each section (three separate sections) needs to be plugged in so I'll have these heavy cords in full view in several places. And yes, to turn it on or off, I need to plug/unplug each cord. Lovely. Sigh.

Also, while it's a nice, warm glow on the backsplash tile, it really doesn't give off much light. Maybe it isn't supposed to provide all that much, but I did expect a bit more than that.

Should I change them for puck lights instead? I have a couple of battery-powered LED puck lights that haven't been installed in the cabinets which I held under the cabinet to compare with the rope lights. I don't care for the bluish cast to the LED light though, it really detracts from the color of the backsplash tile. But no cords and easy to turn off and on.

What about non-LED puck lights? Do they all have cords? Or what about the *moonlights*, which I believe are incandescent light?

Comments (9)