SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Smoke Da Pig (Part 2)

moosemac
11 years ago

Only 15 days to go...

There is not a lot of info on smoking a pig. Roasting yes but smoking not really. I've been all over the internet gleaning bits of info that are pertinent to the set up I have and my desired end result.

This endeavor is on my Bucket List. I am so excited! I'm in the testing phase of this project. Today I'm testing our homemade smoker to ensure I can maintain temperature, get an estimate on timing for stoking the fire and figuring out logistics.

DH shortened the pipe between the woodstove and the smoke box and that allowed for a higher temperature. We can easily maintain 225-250 range with wood. I know that the stove will run approximately 1 hour maintaining temperature before it needs to be re-stoked. In my research, I found someone who suggested augmenting with hardwood charcoal to extending the time between having to stoke the woodstove. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

I plan on getting the pig on the Wednesday before and brining it until the smoking commences Saturday night. Thanks Cheryl for the suggestion for longer brining. Here's the ingredients I'm going to use for the brine:

Apple cider

Water

Sea salt

Brown sugar

Coarsely ground black pepper

Garlic?

Olive oil

Pepper

Herbes de Provence

Once the pig is removed from the brine, it will be dried and massaged with dry rub. Here's the ingredients I plan on using for the rub:

Sea salt

Brown sugar

Fresh black pepper

Cayenne

White pepper

Smoked paprika

Celery salt

Onion powder

Garlic powder

Dry mustard

I'm going to use stainless steel wire to truss and hang it. The hind will be closest to the heat since that takes the longest to cook.

I had planned on using a mop and basting it every time the fire is stoked but my concern is: Will the mop keep the skin soggy? Dcarch had a great point about the crackling skin being the best part. So should I mop or not? I don't think the cooking temperature is high enough to produce true cracklin' skin so I was wondering if I could crackle the skin with a torch after the pig is cooked and resting. Any thoughts?

The menu so far is:

Da Pig

BBQ Chicken (for SIL who doesn't do pork)

Baked Kidney Beans (DH request in lieu of BBQ Beans))

Cuban Black Beans and Rice (I couldn't resist the America's Test Kitchen recipe)

Homemade Cole Slaw

And whatever else folks bring and I feel like adding at the last minute. I'm still coordinating this part.

Oh yes and of course beer and sangria, probably Tuckerman's Pale Ale and White sangria (DD's favorite) and maybe a theme drink of the day probably Fresh Raspberry Mojitos.

RSVP's are due by tomorrow. The Butcher is on standby for the pig size. Everything I've read suggests 2 lbs. per person. I sent out 45 invitations and am expecting maybe 30 will accept so that means a 60 lb. pig. I'm figuring 16 hours to smoke the beast.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions.

Kim

Comments (13)