SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Bed in a Small Bedroom - Help

funkyart
11 years ago

I am searching for a bed/headboard and side tables to go in a small "master" bedroom. It's only 9x12 so I feel foolish calling it a master-- but it will surely be the primary bedroom.

For a number of reasons, I intend to put my queen size bed on the small wall. This will be a tight fit but it works well with the rest of the room and the doors for entry and bathroom. There is a high, wide window (typical of mid century ranch homes in this area) above where the bed would go and a little wider (79") than the width of a queen size bed.

I'd like to keep the bed design pretty simple because of the space issues and because it will need to visually work with the window above. Also, I like a simple, cozy look with duvet and soft cotton and linen layers on the bed. Windows will get either burlap or matchstick blinds and side panels.

After looking at many photos, I think I need to stick with a headboard that is simple and straight across or that has a large horizontal component to it. Budget is tight until I am working again, but eventually I'd like to get either the Vienne or Maison upholstered bed from RH--both of which would work well with my style and with the room. In the meantime, I have two very different options from my local CL.. I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether one or the other would work in the space.

This is very inexpensive and I think the right scale (there is a footboard also). I am not a big fan of oak but I do have plenty of it in the house so it won't be out of place. I am open to painting it-- but I fear that it may look too precious painted. At $50, I could certainly make due until my savings are built back up.

This bed is a bit more but still in budget ($275). It doesn't meet my criteria of having a "large horizontal" component and pine isn't something I thought I'd consider but I am very charmed by this bed. I am a little concerned about the posters being too much in a small room but I've seen a number of small bedrooms with poster beds and they just seem to work. I do think it will work beautifully with my style and my bedding.

Do you like one of these over the other for my space? Neither? Keep looking?

EXAMPLE - THIS IS NOT MY ROOM: I found this photo on the internet. .. sharing it as an example since my room is currently empty and prepped for painting. It appears to be the same size (9'). The windows are positioned and proportioned the same as in my room with a little more space and a closet to the right.

Comments (32)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would look for just a headboard and no footboard in a room this size. Just use a regular low profile bedframe.

Of the two you posted I like the second. Overall it's actually lighter and you could do without the tester on top of the posts.

• Related Discussions

Small bedrooms with BIG beds??

Q

Comments (41)
    Totally agree with you on the form factor of the futon. I am not loving it either. But we have it and until I find some thing better in my price range. It is very comfortable to nap on left in the couch position. Also to sit on and read. I pull the desk /sewing table chair over for feet up position. It is a small cheerful room that makes me happy to be in. Our company said the futon is great for a few days. He usually spends 4 or 5 nights with us at a time. I added a foam topper on it. Drawbacks on other sleeping options. Twin love seat sleeper will not be long enough for our friend. He sleeps cross wise on the full sized futon. The click clack couches are darling but also too short. We have cats that will claw so air bed is out of the question. LOL The nicer looking couch futons are so uncomfortable. Fold out beds usually have the bars in them in the center of your back unless you can get the ones with springs all around the edges and a mat to hold the mattress. AND the fold out beds take up more floor space when open if that is an issue for you. You should be fine in a 10 by 10 room though. I would think my best option should I ditch the futon would be a murphy. But then I do go in there and nap on the futon some times so that would be over with. Also when I am sewing I find myself sitting down on the futon to do little bits of hand work when needed. We did buy the upgraded mattress. I am not trying to talk you into a futon at all because I totally think they are ugly as sin. I did doll mine up with pretty comforter and pillows and a friends granddaughter said the guest room is very girly. LOL
    ...See More

Please help needed for small small master bedroom

Q

Comments (18)
    I was really glad to see the upholstered bed in the second bed option, cause as I was looking at the room pics & sketch, that what I had in mind IMMEDIATELY. I LOVE that room (LOVE small spaces) & here's my suggestions: 1. Upholstered bed in natural linen. 2. Closet wall & crown moulding in SW Westhighland White. Walls & ceiling in Canvas Tan (flat) 3. Bedding in a soft color...no pattern. Pattern will only make the room smaller. 4. An upholstered bench at the end of the bed in the same linen as the bed with perhaps contrast welt in the color of the bedding. Ebony legs. (Check out Bassett Furniture for both the bed & the bench as an alternative to where you're looking) 5. Ditch the globe pic. Whatever goes over the bed needs to be a simple stretched canvas in soft colors, or sepia tones. 6. I vote for simple bamboo or burlap roman shades inset on the windows. 7. Think more about texture than color & pattern in this room. 8. Consider these for over the nightstands to save all table space. (Nightstands should be light in feeling but of course functional). ~Jeana Here is a link that might be useful: Nightstand lights
    ...See More

BedRoom: Area Rug on Carpeted Floor and Under the Bed

Q

Comments (12)
    I did that in my guest room - no problem at all. The carpet is pretty low pile and the rug is a fairly thick sculpted type oriental. I have no pad under the rug. I also have a very short, dense wool oriental rug on the carpet in my living room. That also works fine. I have all these rugs on carpet because I moved from a house with wood floors to one with more carpet. I hope to get rid of the carpet someday when I feel like moving everything again. So then I will need the rugs and in the meantime I can't stand the plain beige carpet. In another room I have a thick wool runner that covers the width of carpet from the deck door to the wood floor in the dining area. It has no furniture on it that holds it in place so it ripples a bit. I need to find a way to keep it flat.
    ...See More

Help transform my small bedroom into bedroom + office space.

Q

Comments (3)
    So I just tweeked your current plan a little bit by doing pier style cabinets on either side of the bed. Then you don’t have to have a nightstand. Or you can just do full height wardrobes. You will have to account for the jogs in the wall so that the bed is positioned so that you can get the doors open. Then the desk would be opposite the bed and possibly add a little bookcase. I am showing a queen sized bed.
    ...See More
  • _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

I don't think a headboard is what you need at all. Just a couple of small night tables. Then use wallpaper and the entire wall as your headboard. Simpler, and yet more more effective and dramatic at the same time.

If you feel the need for an actual headboard, something padded bolted to the wall or something done tone on tone would be that simple touch. that could work.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I love the look of the second bedroom with the poster bed, down to the ceiling to floor curtains. You could even paint the bed black.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback. I had actually planned to use just the metal frame and either an upholstered piece or something like tiles for a visual headboard.. but I became too self-conscious thinking it would look like a dorm bed with no foot board (ok, a friend actually told me one of my inspiration photos looked like a dorm room). But for the size of the room, I think the bed needs a low profile, low visual impact.

I love the idea of wallpaper but I don't think I'll like it with the window. I think the alternative of a wall of curtain panels is more to my liking.. and I think it will work well to soften the "shoe box" look of the room.

I really like the inspiration photo with the poster bed but I am thinking that for now, I will go with just a headboard and work on developing the rest of the room. I was on that path but stopped thinking I needed to select a bed before nightstands so that the style, color, height would work together. I think instead, I need to look for bedside tables that work NOW, When I do buy a bed (when I am working again), I'll likely replace the bed tables anyhow.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I have never actually had a headboard on my master bed. I guess that is strange. Irish ever found one I love,I might get one. I wouldn't waste the money personally. If you can live without one functionally, iwouldntthinkthat many people would see itanyway :)

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Please excuse my iPad typing. Still practicing I guess!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Just wanted to suggest you definitely measure any beds from CL to make certain it's queen size before you buy. I picked up a set and they said the bed was a queen, but it turned out to be just a full. I ended up buying another bed, so it worked out in the end.

• lkplatow
    11 years ago

We have a pencil post bed in our smallish master bedroom (current br is about 11 x 14, last house's bedroom was a little smaller). I think it looks good - it makes a definite focal point. Sometimes when you fill a small room up with a bunch of small furniture, it looks more crowded and busy than if you use bigger furniture.

We did find that the pencil post bed looks better if we take the "canopy" bars off the top -- so we use ours with just the 4 posts and none of the top pieces.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

If you want the room to look larger, I would just do the headboard. In tight spaces you are likely to hit your thighs on a footboard if you are getting up in the middle of the night, and visually they make a room seem smaller. Just make sure the headboard isn't a "dormy" style (MSM very rectangular headboards come to mind). and you will be fine.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I would not even think about putting a queen poster bed in a 9x12 room. I would do a simple headboard, no footboard. I bought a padded headboard from Target and covered it with fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: Target headboard

• Fori
    11 years ago

Do you have ranch height ceilings? I'd worry about the poster bed making the room look squatty if the ceiling is 8 ft.

Anyway, I'd wait. You'd already know if either was perfect!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I would also use the wall as headboard, and do something special with the wall to give it a headboard look. It's only a few inches, but in a small room, inches count. I just did something similar with one of my guest rooms, only I did a beadboard wainscoting type thing, and so far I really like it, though I haven't done any decorating yet.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I do have the low ceilings you see in ranch homes.. so that is limiting too. I was considering pencil post beds because they don't seem so visually heavy-- which can be confining. There's enough length to the room with this orientation to avoid thigh hitting on a footboard but a visually heavy footboard would visually cut the room so I think the suggestions to use just a headboard are right on. I was trying for a low profile footboard just to bring a little structure and formality but I plan to use a trunk at the foot of the bed anyhow so it's not necessary.

I do think the room needs a vertical element.. maybe the curtain panels will achieve this. I will also use one tall dresser in the room (I'll be making one of the spare rooms a dressing room).

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

• Valerie Noronha
    11 years ago

I currently have a double bed in a 10x12 room that has 1/2 height posters; even so it visually constricts the room. It's a seldom used room so it works OK, but best choice would be a simple headboard, no footboard or a metal bed.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Valinsv, I haven't seen you for ages--thanks for posting! Yes, for some reason, I knew I didn't want 1/2 height posters. The high pencil posts seem less visually constricting... but even still, I think the headboard only is the way to go.

Part of the reason I was balking is that I don't want anything too modern and I don't care for the typical upholstered headboards (which appears to be my two options on my budget). It isnt that I want something fancy, I just don't want something that looks like it belongs in a teen room. What I realized after questioning my biases is that all I really want is an interesting texture.. an interesting textile. OK, that's simple. I can find a great fabric--even splurge a little (could easily do a two-sided design with a cotton or linen back) and still be in budget.

Yeah, I know.. it was a head smacking moment. I was limiting my thinking and ignored the easiest solution.

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

No foot board = dorm room???? Really?! Never heard that one. It is a fad thing they go in and out of "style". None of the beds in my home have foot boards. When you are taller people, you find then annoying when sleeping. Plus DH made/re-purposed all the head boards in our home. Simple metal frames for a mattress and box springs are inexpensive and head boards are easy to create, even the two upholstered we have.

In your space I would be very tempted to go with floor to ceiling drapes covering the entire wall and a very simple head board. In the inspiration photos I am not a fan of the ones where the head board matches the wall paper or curtain fabric. I would want some contrast. Less is more in a small space. I would go with just the head board, no wood frame, no foot board.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I used to have a bedroom that was 12x12 - so only slightly larger than yours. We had a king size bed with a headboard only. There's a dresser opposite the bed, a wall of closets to the left, and a chair in the corner that you can't see.

• loves2read
    11 years ago

forget the footboard--we have bed with head/foot board and they are restrictive when making the bed as well as trying to flip the mattress
    the larger the mattress the more difficult the flip

bought vacation house few months ago and got new bed in master that has low footboard---only as high as the foundation basically--but now we can hit our shins going around the bed because we don't notice the footboard...
    so I would say in smaller room don't get footboard

if you need the storage get a night stand with drawers vs a cabinet w/shelves
    BUT if you don't need the storage consider using just a wall hung shelf or drawer for bedside stuff and using wall mounted lamps vs table lamps

think Scandinavian or mid century modern

you could also do series of shelves on each side of bed
    with longest one at the lower level and moving up in height by shortening the length of shelf because of the horizontal window above the bed
    making a chevron effect visually with the bed in middle which would make the wall itself the headboard
    and then use shutters across window

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didnt realize this thread had popped up again. I greatly appreciate the input.

Arcy - yes, I plan to do floor to ceiling panels like in the inpiration photo with the pencil poster bed. There is another window on the adjacent wall too. I think it will go a long way towards raising the low ceilings. I don't want to use wallpaper or match the walls. I don't know what I'll use for curtains yet. I have plenty of linen voile panels but I would like a muted pattern of some sort. I have over 10 yards of Bosporus Flax linen which is a possibility.

Nosoccermom - not sure I've seen those particular images but I've seen so many photos of charming small rooms. I know there's potential! The one thing I took away from all the photos I've seen is that i want to keep the bedding light and simple. I do have a lovely patterned duvet but I am going to use it in one of the spare rooms. I think the light colors are key to keeping it look cozy and spacious.
    I love the photo with pendants on each side of the bed. I'll need to bring in an electrician for that but it's something I want to consider.

Porkandham - love that headboard but the one issue i've been considering is that my window is wider than a queen bed (79") so I have been a little concerned about how the posts will look cutting into it. I think I can handle this with curtain panels though.

Loves2read - ahh.. side tables. This is where the whole dilemma started. I have limited room on either side of the bed (max 22") but I do want bedside storage (some hidden). I may be willing to give this up though because I think the leggy, open table look does a lot to open up the space.

Funny that you say "think mid century". We've really been batting this around. This house is perfect for mid century design-- in fact, it cries for it. The ceilings are low and have a swirl design (I've ignored this to date). The mid century lines are perfect for the scale of the house. My boyfriend and I have talked about how we'd both love to go that direction with the decor.. but I am unemployed right now and when he moves here, he will be also. We're just not ready to financially commit to complete style change in that direction yet-- (and I am not sure I am ready to give up my love of traditional and cottage style). As an aside though, it looks like our office may be the one place we do go MCM.

You all have given me lots to think about. I am definitely comfortable with the headboard only look. Also love the floor to ceiling curtain panels. I think both will work well. I am currently looking at nubby woven silks for the headboard slipcover but would love to find a headboard like Pork's that has (or could have) an upholstered panel.

I'll share a room layout soon.

• loves2read
    11 years ago

We bout vacation house in FL that also would have been great as MCM but people we bought from had redone some expensive parts
    Like the kitchen w style not really MCM not FL coastal
    They picked a Boston brownstone look
    Cherry cabinets--dark brown granite counters--dark cherry engineered wood floors
    Too much for us to change
    And they opened walls so all front living areas are this look

If you have the option don't spend money you don't need to
    mCM doesn't need vintage furniture to be true

One guest bedroom we were able to keep more vintage because that room has carpet--needs replacing--and we repainted walls and trim
    Added ceiling fan and improved the electrical
    My husband went used furniture shopping locally and found a Dixie faux bamboo bedroom suite w horizontal headboard (that fit under the long window like u have), nightstand, and dresser and mirror
    We cleaned it up and found a similar Dixie nightstand on on EBay from seller about 8 mi away by luck
    It looks great in there

Consider your options
    there are ways to recreate the MCM aura

Paint ceiling same color as walls but 1 or 2 tones lighter -- that will help avoid low boxy look

My husband wouldn't let me paint ceilings but they would have looked better if there was not a demarcation that was so drastic between colored walls and white ceiling...none of our room walls are white...
    light tan--Barbados Sands BM
    Arizona Heat--KM
    Sweet Caroline--BM
    and two rooms are painted a very light, light blue -- one more gray than the other...that is in my husband's office...
    the light blue is in room with the Dixie faux bamboo and looks really great

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

One more idea. I know your ceiling is different. Brings in panels but they are out of the way. Not sure if it will work with the shape of your window. May look out of place with your style home, too.

{{!gwi}}

• EG3d
    11 years ago

For my guest bedroom, I found a headboard on craigslist and painted it Creamy White by Behr. The room I filled with art.

Can't wait to see what you do for your room.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loves2read it sounds like your vacation house has much the same vibe going on. I absolutely love (and envy) that you found a faux bamboo set-- I watch for those kinds of pieces (even before the MCM house) on ebay. There seems to be a lot of it in the mcm/hollywood regency style available in FL.

My biggest issue in needing to change out much of my furniture is that much of it is english country cottage/library-esque. It just doesnt mix well with the mcm vibe-- especially in scale. That said, I think thoughtful planning will let me go step by step through the house as time and budget allow. I know the kitchen will have a sleek modern look if not MCM.. and when I redo the kitchen, I plan to get the MCM dining table of my dreams. The office is going that direction now.. so trying to bring a little into the bedroom makes sense if I can find the right pieces.

The main living space is my biggest challenge. I'd have to replace everything-- and I intend to-- but it won't happen overnight. I want to be thoughtful about it too-- because I want a warm cozy mid century look vs one that is very modern. Is there such a thing as mid century cottage LOL? No really, what I want is a layered look vs austere. I've seen a few designers do this BEAUTIFULLY with a few iconic pieces. That's how I'd want to go too.

I've strayed off the bedroom topic-- but wanted to address your post and to thank you!! Would love to see photos of your vacation house.

Here's a small peak at the swirled ceiling throughout the house. The photo resolution doesnt do it justice. It's all hand done and beautiful if you like that kind of thing. Originally I'd wanted to undo it-- but I am warming up to embracing it (especially since my grandfather did it all by hand).

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anele, thanks for the photo suggestions. I do think panels really soften the look of a square shoebox room. I am not sure about draping them -- I fear it will emphasize the low ceilings but I can surely give it a try.

EG3D, yeah, I need to find or make the right headboard-- would love to fill the room with artwork (mine and others') but there's limited wall space in this room. One of the spares has much more wall space but it doesn't have the connected bathroom. I'll do what I can with what I have in this room.

Here's my intended layout. I could open up the space by flipping the bed to the long wall but I like the direct paths to the bathroom with this layout and the open space at the bottom of the bed. Also, it allows room for a trunk at the bottom of the bed for storage.

I appreciate all your help and ideas. I know it's much more fun to work with a grand room and a grand budget.. so I am especially grateful for your help!

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Is this your family home, then? How wonderful!

I like cottage MCM! I'd call that eclectic!

I found these. Ignore the styles-- just ideas for treatments.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anele, I have the first two images saved in my inspiration folder! I think it's a look that will work well for me-- but they were the ones a friend said "look like dorm rooms". :(

I absolutely love the room with the bookcase but it won't work well in this room. The first photo is pretty close to what I was thinking initially and have come back around to-- but instead of a patterned headboard, I am looking to do a highly textured neutral silk or linen.

And yes, this is my grandparents' home. I am moving in, updating/remodeling and will decide whether to buy it after a year. It's presenting me with some challenges but some fun too. The biggest challenge is leaving all my past visions and biases at the doorstep and working with the bones of this house. It's in great shape and has great potential! I can't tell you how excited my grandmother is to see what I've done to it... so I better get moving, huh? ;)

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Your friend must have seen some stunning dorm rooms. No, they do not look like a dorm room!

So, it sounds like you know EXACTLY what to do. You don't need to wonder. You just need to avoid discussing your room's plans with the friend. :)

How wonderful about the home . ..so neat about your grandmother. I am excited, too! Just get other people out of your head. You know what you are doing!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anele, thank you! I needed the kick and the pants and the validation. I really do know what I want and what will work-- but I keep second guessing myself. Part of the problem is that it's a completely new style for me.. the other thing is that I feel at a disadvantage with my much more limited budget. I need to turn it around and look at it as a fun challenge. A scavenger hunt!

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Well, going back to the idea on the other thread I started about getting what you LOVE, you have to stick to that vs. the new style (just because you think intellectually that it "goes"), if that makes sense. If you LOVE the new style, then great, but if not, you need to pick what you really enjoy and make what you enjoy work. Focus on scale and balance and use the style(s) you love.

I have a very limited budget. As in, laughable. But, I know it CAN be done. I keep thinking of Magnaverde and all he does, never spending more than $200, I think he said.

Yes, this is an adventure!

Found this. When you get that nagging voice about what other people think:

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by anele on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 1:50

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh there are definitely mcm elements that I love--and I think I can make them work with other things I love. I just need to be patient. My budget will be more flexible when I am working again-- at least enough so to buy a few key pieces. In my head, the decor will not be 100% mid century but there will be a few stunning or iconic pieces that bring in the mcm flavor. Unless I happen on a deal, I'll be window shopping for now.

I do appreciate your reminder to ignore those who don't share my vision or goals--truth is, I don't care for her bedroom (which is a very high end lacquered asian design). Even more importantly, your post reminded me that my bedroom needs to make only two people happy (and let's be real, as long as there is a bed, a table and a pillow, the bf will be happy!)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH