SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

Beach house Kitchen Help .. lots of windows

ravmd
13 years ago

After spending 2 years trying to figure out what to do in our home re. a kitchen.. we decided to buy a house on the eastern shore of Maryland instead!So I'm back.. just with a different house/different kitchen!

I don't have 2 years to plan this kitchen.. just gutted it and we need to move along so the pressure is on this time. The house is on the water (canal/river) so we want to take advantage of the views which are along the back of the house. The side of the house faces another house so we would like to take out 2 of the 4 windows here and put the Refrigerator and Oven there since we won't lose a view. Then we will relocate those 2 windows to the back of the house and to the right of the back corner. Obviously we wont' have many if any upper cabinets due to the situation/desire for windows/view.

So we were playing around with sink placement. Originally we thought we would have it in the island opposite the ref. and oven.

But the plans drawn up today at the store have it in the corner or along the back of the house. It all needs to sit with me for a while to figure out what makes sense but thought something may jump out at you all!

We both are not sure about the corner sink.. and while the 2 windows will be moved to the left and the right of each corner , we are not sure realistically how close the windows could be moved together (we are reusing the old windows-which happen to be Anderson casement style).I think there has to be some amt of framing/wall space in the corner for support so not sure I want that as my 'direct view'

So we think we are leaning towards an island sink and using the back wall for a "wet bar, bkfst area etc" ... OR putting the sink on the back wall.

We have not thought of all the details re. cabinet selection.. the lady just plugged drawers, cabs etc in so I have no idea if it makes sense yet. Don't really have room for a pantry so need to figure out all this.. but basically wanted to get a better idea for a gen'l l floor plan before the cabinet details.

I have loads of photos but don't want to overwhelm you at once... here are some to get started:

corner we will move windows to. The 2 windows shown will be moved to each side of the corner:

windows to be removed (facing neighbor house) 1st &2nd window where we think range and oven would work. the next 2 windows and the front 2 windows of the house will be where the table and built in bench seating would go.

I think these show up very tiny but maybe you can make out the gen'l appliance locations?

Plan with sink along back wall:

plan with sink in corner:

rough sketch of island sink...

Don't know if this gives you enough of an idea to get some thoughts going.. feel like its such a long msg already but open to your thoughts/questions etc!!Thanks so much!

Comments (5)