SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Good scissors, bad scissors

alisande
13 years ago

No, I'm not referring to our KT member named Scissors!! :-)

But I'll bet many of our members have opinions on various kinds of scissors, and I'd like to hear them. My first favorite sewing scissors were made by Hoffritz. They cut beautifully, but they were big and heavy, and tired my hand out. My DH bought me electric scissors years ago, and I cut out a zillion patterns with them. I liked them a lot, but when they gave out I looked for something else.

My DD gave me spring-action Fiskars sewing scissors, and they're great.

My other two scissor needs are general household use and rug hooking. For the former, I bought Westcott titanium scissors at Sam's Club. (I just opened my drawer to look at the name, and now I have to admit to being a scissor freak. I am loaded with scissors!) Anyway, I'm not crazy about the Westcotts. They cut, but there's something clunky about them. I definitely will not cut fabric with them, but that brings me to......

For rug hooking, the smallest pair of craftSMART scissors (at Michaels) cuts the ends of my wool strips so beautifully that I went back and bought the 8" bent-handled size and the pinking shears as well. Big mistake! The bent-handled shears will be fine for cutting paper--that's the best I can say for them--but the pinking shears are useless. I tried them out on very lightweight felt, and they didn't cut all the way through. I had hoped to use the 8" shears to cut apart old woolen clothing, but they can't do the job. So with my next Michael's coupon I bought a large pair of Fiskars. They seem to be the most reliable for me.

I know there are plenty of very expensive scissors that are probably quite wonderful, but I can't justify spending that much. Still, I'd be interested in hearing all about your scissors experiences, pricey or not.

Comments (17)