SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Santa Barbara Soapstone installed!! Pictures Galore!!!

bayareafrancy
16 years ago

I never thought this day would come!

But it did!

I've got waaaaay more photos here than the average person wants to see. But this thread isn't for the average person. It's for the soapstone-obsessed!! But hopefully these details can also help others who are interested in soapstone.

I haven't oiled the whole stone yet, b/c husband wants to see the gray color when he gets home from work. We'll probably oil tomorrow.

Funny note: the guys gave me a list of things NOT to do for the next 48 hours. On the list: do not LIE on the counters. Honestly! What do they think we are doing on our new stone counters??? (Note to self: remind husband to cancel original plan for the evening.)

I hope I don't crash GW with all these photos...

Here are my teeny pieces on the big truck:

Here is the company sign in the driveway. I LOVE this. This is actually a rather high end company, so the fact that they have this hand painted sign (with a spelling MISTAKE in it) just cracks me up!

Detail of the unoiled Santa Barbara (without flash):

Santa Barbara has very few veins. Here is one (unoiled). Btw, in this photo you can see the one mistake that they made in the template. In the back left, there is a piece of vertical wood trim missing that needs to be replaced. The counter was supposed to go under that "hole" so that we could just extend the wood down. But now the wood might come down to an empty hole. So a bit more challenging to fill...

Here is our "hutch" area with original 1929 cabinetry:

Hutch left (some detailed templating here to get the crazy edge):

Hutch right (we cut the side so they could slide the whole slab under that vertical side piece):

Hutch wall (boy does this all need to be painted):

The seam (behind the sink) unoiled. They checked the color of the stone with the Bee's Oil on it, and color matched the seam to the darkened stone.

The seam, halfway oiled (normal view if standing at sink):

Seam, closeup view for seam fanatics (like me). Pretty darn invisible!

The sink wall:

Rest of sink wall:

Nice sharp inside corner:

Sink (very slight negative reveal to hide the caulk):

Detail of caulking, which is white, but is supposed to turn clear in 7-14 days (weird). They usually use white caulk. I told them that I really preferred clear. They had only one tube in the truck--which went on white though the label said 'clear.' They told me to call and complain if it doesn't turn clear.

Left side of sink (counter was suppposed to line up with interior edge of sink--crazy how much time I spent trying different alignments--but they all had implications for the sink placement and depth of the counter overall). They got it right! Wow--I haven't been able to say that very often in the past 2 years!

Runnels (shorties, cause I have so little counter space). I'll use them daily for rinsing produce, but don't need them for dishes since I put everything in the dishwasher:

Eased edge at doorway, past the runnels:

How I feel right now:

Francy

Comments (37)