SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minnie_tx

bigfoot_liz and inverters

minnie_tx
14 years ago

our power sometimes goes out, aside from the usual outages due to hurricanes that we have a generator for, and we always have a spare-charged car battery on hand and a power inverter. runs several lamps, mini tv, plus 2 fans for about 4-5 hrs. handy gadget we've more than gotten our $$'s worth on :-) bigfoot_liz

i STOLE THIS FROM THE OTHER THREAD Something not quite right about this

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have an inverter that I've never used Do you mean If I had a charged extra battery I could brint it in the house and use it without having to turn the car on?

TIA for any info

Comments (5)

• bigfoot_liz
    14 years ago

YUP! i hate to waste precious gas, especially when the power is out due to a hurricane which means gas is out for miles around here, we run the car battery/inverter combo first. i'm also paranoid about a running car being left on the driveway in the dark... you can remove your car's battery but you'd need a way to recharge it after wards. we just keep a spare car battery charged, nothing expensive. occasionally we hook it up to a recharger that plugs in, just to make sure the battery stays topped off. no worries about fumes getting into the house from car exhaust either...plus you can move it around to different areas in the house. ~ liz

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks I'll talk to DS about getting one for my place he has a big generator at his house

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DS said no he said it could explode and shouldn't be kept in the house etc Come on DS I only want it for a storm not to keep "on file" forever

• bigfoot_liz
    14 years ago

LOL i have to admit i was not wanting it in the house at first either for the same reason lol BUT after running DH's big truck in the driveway overnight one time, stinking up the house w/ exhaust fumes, keeping me awake paranoid someone would steal that running truck out there alone...i relented. we store our's in the garage, it came w/ some sort of case w/ a lid that snaps on w/ openings for the terminals. i do not drag this out until we've been w/o power for 4-5 hrs+ and it's evening time (verses daytime-gone or nighttime-sleeping), i hate having all those cords everywhere lol. ~ liz

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm srill thinking about one haha We just had about 3 inches of snow and more coming down

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations