SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njannabelle

Schoolhouse pendants over island: How big and how high?

njannabelle
12 years ago

Demo started this week, and so far no big surprises. I'd been holding my breath in fear that old house issues would throw a wrench in everything, but right now looks like I can stop watching everything and get back to planning!

One thing I hadn't gotten to yet was lighting. Kitchen is 10x16 and currently lit by a 48" four bulb fluorescent fixture that has been perfectly adequate. I like things brightly lit, but I'm really debating whether I need the recessed lights in the original plan or if I can just get by with pendants and undercabinet LED.

Island is in the center of the room and is 72" long. Ceiling is 9'10". I've been looking at doing a pair of schoolhouse pendants such as Rejuvenation's Baldwin. Shades vary in width from 12-18" on the different models I've been looking at and chains can be ordered in different lengths. I'm not really crazy about the idea of having low pendants (Rejuvenation's help desk said they are supposed to hang at 6') as it seems like it would be visually overwhelming with something this big. Electrician was here yesterday and suggested hanging them at between 24-30 inches below ceiling height, which seems to make sense to me as far as diffusing the light. Or if I'm going to keep them close to the ceiling, would I be better off going with a semi-flushmount?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation Baldwin

Comments (5)