SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hopmom_gw

Help with basement family room design...

hopmom
12 years ago

Hoping you can all help me get my head around our latest project...we are having a portion of the basement finished. it will be an L-shaped space w/ a mudroom entry and a long, narrowish tv room/play area. It is all framed and now I need to make some speedy decisions.

For the mudroom, we are all set -- below is out inspiration photo and it is underway. We'll have a very similar bench/locker built-in with open shelving on one end and two large walk-in closets.

The other space is where I need the most help...The room will be nice and bright with a french style patio door in center and two large double windows on each side. We have decided we'd like to put a gas fireplace on one of the end walls -- but not sure on desired look:

a.) something traditional with a white mantel and built-ins on each side (dh is worried about ceiling lines -- which are notched , so does not want to go to ceiling height), or

b.) something more contemporary -- a clean lined fireplace look (almost look of a wall tv) -- but what would we do around this (maybe nothing?)

I need some direction -- contractor does beautiful finish work, but we need to have an inspiration in mind. I tend to be more traditional and dh would like to take a more contemporary route. Is there a way to compromise. I'm hoping some of you (with a keen eye for space and proportions) will have some brilliant ideas ; ) Here is a pic of the proposed fireplace wall (framed in).

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)