SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

A surprise kitchen!

worldmom
13 years ago

I am SO excited about this!

When we decided to gut our kitchen, my hubby and I planned to put our cabinets, appliances, lighting, etc. on Craigslist or have a yard sale or something. That was two years ago, and as some of you know, our contractor kind of disappeared on us and we're just now getting going again.

Since we originally started the project, my sister and her husband moved here. They live in a rental house that belongs to my parents. It's a very cute, but very small, mid-century home with a galley kitchen with a whopping 7 cabinets (bases and uppers combined!) My sister has a custom cake/cupcake business which she runs out of her home (the business kitchen is in the basement), but the family kitchen is far from functional. The cabinets look like shellaced plywood, and my sister hates them.

It occurred to me the other day the cabinets and much of the stuff we're tearing out of our house would be great in her house. Most of it is in the 5-8 year old range, including the simple shaker-style cabinets, which were installed just before we bought our house. So, I talked to my parents and asked if they thought my sister would want any of our things for her kitchen, and the conversation ended up in a grand plan to do our own version of While You Were Out. :o) My dad is going to pick up our cabinets and he and my mom are going to paint them white. Then we are going to send my sister and her hubby on a weekend trip, rip out their current kitchen, and put in the new stuff. We even have a new section of Formica pre-fabbed countertop that my sister had already expressed interest in for their kitchen. It's the perfect size.

I figure we can easily double the number of cabinets they currently have, plus give them a lot more counter space. We have nice lighting, a cute faucet, hardware, even leftover backsplash tile. My parents have leftover floor tiles from their recent kitchen remodel, too, so they are going to get a new-to-them kitchen that will cost virtually nothing.

My sister is going to be completely THRILLED. I would never be so bold as to do this if it was her "forever home," but I know she will be happy having things 200% better than they were. It will be good for my parents, too, since it will be attractive to new renters when my sister's family moves out in a couple of years.

I will post some pictures when we get things underway. :o)

Comments (36)