SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

Please vote on backsplash concept - balancing vintage/industrial

victoriajane
15 years ago

How does one choose when two options are equally appealing??? One turns to GW and lets them decide! As you may recall I've been yearning for a black range. I have my choices pretty much narrowed down to these two: the Cornufe Albertine: (imagine it in black)

or the heartland legend:

(The third runner up is the Fratelli Onofri Chiantishire, but my space and other kitchen features calls for something more bulky and less streamlined.)

The hood will look like this, in black or stainless:

The real issue I'm having is with the backsplash. I'm really torn between stainless steel w/ utensil rack:

or a beautiful tile design that suggests a pressed tin ceiling, like this:

In both cases the rest of the stove wall will be subway tile; my only concern is what goes directly above the range. You may recall I'm trying to strike a balance between vintage and industrial; well, actually a little heavier on the vintage. I adore the commercial edge that the stainless steel gives to the retro range; but I saw these decorative tiles at our local tile store and fell in love with them. They remind me of the pressed tin ceiling in our old kitchen. But I'm concerned the victorian decorative tile will veer completely off the industrial track and start approaching precious, and I definitely don't want that. If I decide on the ss backsplash, I'm going to want to order it along with my appliances, which is why I'm trying to make a decision now. Opinions please!!

Comments (41)

• berf
    15 years ago

Hi there--things are coming together! I am biased toward the stainless with utensil rack. I've got one and I'm using it to death. I love the look but I'm finding the rail pretty useful to boot.

Of course, the pressed tin is very nice. We had it as our backsplash in the previous kitchen and my hubby is actually lobbying to put it in the new one (we're still agonizing over sink wall backsplash decisions)...I just want something different than the tin which I had for 11 years--

I'm a messy cook, so behind the range I like the smooth surface to wipe rather than nooks and crannies.

The rail on that one you pictured is quite pretty with its little finials :)

• worldmom
    15 years ago

Well, just to complicate things (and WHY is it always so easy for me to come up with quick answers to OTHER people's dilemmas? ;o) ), I would do a combination of the two. I would totally go for the tile, but I would still install a utensil rail above the range. I've seen lots of photos of tile backsplashes and rails over ranges/cooktops, and I love them. That tile doesn't say "precious" to me, especially knowing what I do about some of your other choices. It definitely get my vote.

In my kitchen, we were debating SS vs. tile over the cooktop, and we compromised by ordering a 9" SS backsplash, but we'll still be able to have tile above it. Just another possibility to toss out there! :o)

I can't wait to see your kitchen!

• Related Discussions

Start off the New Year with Backsplash Help

Q

Comments (50)
    The oval tile is on both the Ann Sacks site and the Heath Ceramics site. On the Ann Sacks site, it's listed under "Heath". so I guess Ann Sacks sells it for them, as they do other designers. With that being said, maybe it would be "slightly cheaper" to go to the source itself, although that's not going to make much of a difference as these are much more $$ than I ever expected to spend. If it winds up being THE tile, it might be worth it. basianov - the pantry cabs are actually a light grey and that tile on the right does pick up some of that color. I'm just not sure I want to do marble. I did also see the other day a 1/2"X2" calcutta marble mosaic that was stunning, so that's an option as well, but I just wonder if marble will take the kitchen in a different direction than I was planning. Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks
    ...See More

help with backsplash/countertop- 2 options - which do you prefer?

Q

Comments (46)
    went shopping again today to look at granite again- this is a granite i fell in love with when we first started looking around a month ago. Decided to go back to it and analyze it more... here's a pic from pinterest that gives a nice idea of how it will look. I think I am going away from the Cambria Canterbury and going back to granite which was our first thought. I think it just looks more rustic. :) Also wondering about a chiseled edge in the granite- I saw a pic and I LOVE it!! heard from the kitchen and granite people today that it is higher maintenance bc of the nature of it... anyone have experience with this? I am posting a seperate thread about this too. thanks for your input! :) Here is a link that might be useful: typhooon bordeaux and black cabs
    ...See More

Ideas for offbeat, vintagey backsplash pattern/color?

Q

Comments (65)
    Wow, thank you to so many people for chiming in! I do appreciate it! Deedles: I continue to like #2, too. Boy, I thought almost everything that mattered in the kitchen was already in! The copper appliance covers are the big unsettled element, I guess. Jessica: I like the diamonds, too. (My problem: I like everything!) The difference between the two patterns is very small -- the diamonds are offset from each other in the second one, but stacked in the first.) jmcgowan: I appreciate your support! (I was going to say "your constancy and support," meaning that I appreciate how you are continuing to help, but I guess I had to remove the "constancy" part to allow you to flip-flop! But seriously, the "anti-clown" argument continues to have merit. Melle_Sacto: Oooh, thank you so much for posting your running-bond 4x4s. I appreciate your effort. They really look classy. Examples of this are a bit hard to come by, so it is really nice to see it in a photo. Thanks. gregincal: Thanks, I like these directions, too. I am kinda torn between KISS (with the running bond) and incorporating diamonds to tie in the floor. Hey, maybe your idea of using fewer diamonds may be the right compromise for my situation. Sweeby: Thank you for the positive feedback. I appreciate your comments on the colors, because I am really weak in that department. Happily, I think all my schemes have the cypress downplayed to small doses now. Melissa: What can I say? You are welcome, and Thank you for giving me the inspiration. Also, thank you for the feedback on the alternate designs. On my long list of things to do is to draw up your idea on the same scale as the others. At first I thought I did not need to do that, because I had your picture to go by, but I think I will do it to give a fairer comparison.
    ...See More

BackSplash Choices, long story, lots of pics!

Q

Comments (14)
    Oh my -- do you have to pick so theoretically? That is, can you get much of the other stuff up and running so that you can see the context a little better, set the tiles up against the counter with the floor in sight and choose *then*? ~one who's expert at delaying choices as long as possible. Speaking of which, it's pulls-time....
    ...See More
  • redroze
    15 years ago

I think you have to be cognizant of the lines that your hood is creating; the four vertical lines. They'll be more prominent if you pick the black over the stainless, of course. If you're leaning towards the black (which will look great with your black range), I think you should do the ss backsplash. That's a great-looking one, and I like how you can customize the amount of utensils to put on it.

If however, you decide to go with the stainless hood, then I think you can go more adventurous/busy on the backsplash and go with the tin. Are you in love with that specific tin ceiling though? I noticed that the tiles have these star thingies on the four middle squares, and four outer squares, which give more of a pattern, which I don't personally love. When I think of tin ceilings, I think of the symmetry of the tin tiles - like they should all have the stars on them OR they should all NOT have stars on them.

Another point about the tin with the star pattern - will it work with the space above your range, which I assume would be more rectangular rather than square? For that pattern, I'm counting four tiles across, four tiles down, which make a square. So would the star tin tiles be positioned differently for a rectangular space?

Sorry if I sound picky. LOL.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Berf - the utensil rack *is* really pretty, isn't it? It is the Bertazzoni Heritage backsplash - I liked it so much I almost bought the Bertazzoni range just to go with it. Then I thought, there's no reason I can't put the Berta backsplash with a different range. Or is there? Hmm, I'd better check into that....worldmom, how would you install the utensil rack ? Would it be affixed to the wall or to the cabinets on either side of the range? And do you have any links I could follow to see such a thing?
    ...redroze, the photo of the black hood was more of a suggestion of the hood shape...I actually am not fond of the prominent ss bands on that black hood and if I were to get that hood in black (it is the Modern-Aire) I would opt for no bands at all. In fact, if I go for the heartland range, I'm thinking I can get away with the black AGA canopy hood (the finish is indistinguishable from the heartland) , which has no bands at all and is quite a bit cheaper. And yes, the squareness of the pattern versus the rectangular area above the range did occur to me, but I decided to stress about that at a later date, LOL. Here's another idea that just popped into my head, and possibly a way to have my cake and eat it too...in one corner of the dining side of the kitchen is a fireplace hearth where we are intending to put a black enamel wood burning stove from Vermont Castings. (One of the reasons I have been wanting a black range so much is to connect to this stove.) Suppose I did the fireplace surround in the subway tile and did a decorative victorian tile above the Vermont Casting stove, and the stainless steel backsplash above the range? I have a much bigger space to work with above the wood burning stove and could probably come up with a rectangular pattern that would make sense.

• plllog
    15 years ago

The SS splash with the rail looks very good, but I wouldn't want to reach across a hot stove to reach something hanging there. Get the rail on the Modern Aire hood where it's actually useful, if you aren't the height to bump your head on what you hang. Or just get it because it's cool :) The SS would look really good, however. And you can just put utensils on the rail (or not) for decor, and have others handy to use if they're not convenient for you.

I think the tiles are pretty but might not make the statement you want amid a lot of subway tiles. And they also seem a bit too specifically Victorian.

Another idea? Why not see if you can get some real tin ceiling tiles for the backsplash? I'm sure you could find something to go with your range. And because it would be an unexpected material, it should read as repurposed and vintage (rather than weird).

To be clear, however, my vote is for the stainless.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I think the tin tiles would be very attention-grabbing. If you want the range itself to be the focal point, then keep the tiles plain; but if you want the range area to be the focal point, then use the tin tiles.

I also think you might run into a few people wondering why tin tiles aren't on the ceiling. Is putting them on the ceiling an option for you? Edlakin had a beautiful ceiling.

OTOH, I always wonder about cleaning the utensils on a utensil rail immediately behind the range.

I ended up with a utensil rail (utilitarian All-Clad) on a nearby wall and a spice rack above the range. Here's a pic showing the range before the spice rack, with the utensil rail nearby:

And here's the spice rack, added later:

• worldmom
    15 years ago

Here's one that I found when I googled, but I'll try to look through my multitude of magazines and scan some pics tomorrow. :o)

http://images.netshops.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=detail2:EN019.jpg&h=368&w=368

I like your idea for possibly putting the tile around your wood stove, but I also think it would be beautiful above your range. I really like it!

• berf
    15 years ago

Oh, yesyes--the tile around the wood stove sounds perfect.
    plllog and bluekit bring up good points about cleaning and reaching which I noodled through before making the decision--
    What works for us is I only hang things there that get used every day (or just about) that way everything that hangs there is washed once day a anyway, not as a special effort. It's not the place for purely decorative items for sure. I always laugh at the kitchen shots in magazines and catalogs that show pot holders and towels hanging there-YIKES!! FIRE!!! As for reaching it just hasn't been a problem, normally I grab what I need before the stove is on or after its off--and with five burners I typically just slide things down the rail to the opposite side of where I'm primarily working. When I have more than a couple of burners in use is when I have to make sure I've gotten what I need ahead of time.
    I have one item hanging there that is "decorative"-it's a white ceramic pot from ikea that just pops in the dishwasher when it gets icky. Other than that it's hubby's favorite egg pan, my most used spoon and spatula, and a metal colander/strainer.
    It is something to think about--what would you hang there, reaching, cleaning --will a system like this work for you?
    I'd post a pic but that blasted photobucket is giving me fits at the moment.

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

I vote for the practicality of a stainless backsplash - with or without the utensil rail...but I love the idea of the tin tiles on the ceiling. Possible?

• cotehele
    15 years ago

I think PrettyKitty has a black range, SS hood and BS with whitish. It looks great!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Wowza, I adore those tiles - as I understand it, they're actually ceramic or porcelain tiles done in the tin-esque pattern, right? I'd make the plea for those, since I personally think the stainless will be overwhelming and rather cold. And possibly too trendy? I doubt the tiles will be too precious (and I do hear you on that), since you have other very sophisticated elements in the room.

My 2â! What make are those tiles?

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Why not do the tiles AND the shelf thingy? I am not a big fan of S/S back splashes....I think they can overpower the kitchen, especially when there are so many stainless appliances to begin with. But my hood has warming lights that I wanted to take advantage of, so I got an IKEA shelf and mounted it to the wall and then tiled over the mounting brackets. I love the result.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The tiles are ceramic and they are from Meredith Tiles. Someone on this forum recommended I look at Meredith Tiles' Irongate series when I was searching for an off-white subway tile to go with my cabinets (sorry I'd have to go back to that thread to find out who it was - but thank you!) The tile store in town carries that line and that's where I first saw these decorative pieces. Of course they could be arranged in a variety of ways. And I'm not even sure if they are meant to suggest a tin ceiling; that's just what they reminded me of. Originally we were planning a tin ceiling but we dropped it , partly due to budget constraints, and also because when I decided to do the checkerboard stain on the floor, I thought a pattern on both the floor and ceiling would be too busy. circuspeanut, I know what you mean about the ss being cold; if I were doing a ss pro style range I definitely would not do the ss backsplash. What makes the ss backsplash work (in my mind) in a kitchen such as berf's and prettykitty's, is the juxtaposition of the backsplash's industrialism with the black range's warmth and beauty. Does that make sense?

• berf
    15 years ago

Yay-photobucket finally let me back into my photos...so here's an example. In the end I don't think you can go wrong either way. I shy away from things like white grout:) but others have no problem keeping it clean. Other people cringe at the idea of washing the stuff hanging from that rail on a routine basis...but it suits me. Can't wait to see this kitchen of yours take shape!
    {{gwi:1573341}}

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your ss backsplash works beautifully, berf, and I still love your range. :) Also I notice you have another utensil rack on the wall to the right of the range...can you tell me where you got that one?

It seems like the the stainless steel backsplash is winning out over the tiles on this board, but only slightly. I should also note that it might also depend which range I choose, i.e., if I went with the Albertine (or Fratelli) I would almost certainly go with the ss, but if I went with the Heartland I would be more torn between the ss and the tiles.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Victoria Jane, check IKEA's line of stainless steel racks and hangers....I am pretty sure that is where berf's came from.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA

• berf
    15 years ago

Indeed, IKEA was my source. Here's a pic that shows all the crazy stuff I bought there. I love it! I went nuts and filled my cart with a little of everything (once my stove, ss guard and hood were in) and played with all of it until I found the combo I liked--
    most everything that made the final cut was from the Gruntdnal (sp?) series. You will need screws for them (my GC just went and bought stainless steel screws to match)
    {{!gwi}}

• Fori
    15 years ago

Lee valley tools also has a rail system with a slightly different look. (I have a bit of the Ikea one myself).

I like the tiles, personally, but they won't be the easiest to keep clean. They look bumpy! But so what! But I'd be tempted to do a whole backsplash instead of just behind the range...

• mom2lilenj
    15 years ago

I would go with the stainless with a utensil rack or shelf. Actually, I think the shelf would work great as a warming area. That with the Cornufe in black and the hood in black will make the whole range area stand out beautifully and look very practical/industrial.

• cocontom
    15 years ago

What about a quilted stainless backsplash? The diagonal squares would echo, but not copy the floors, and it's a vintage industrial look without having to choose between the two.

• blakey
    15 years ago

I vote for the stainless backsplash-your range is unique and a focal point, as your hood will be and I think the simplicity of the stainless will look clean and unfussy while also giving you the industrial edge. Cocontom's idea of a quilted stainless backsplash sounds great too.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everybody...now I am really leaning toward the stainless backsplash with subway tiles around it (which was my original vision anyway.) I still have to decide on the range though. Each has points in its favor, and cons as well. The heartland has an enormous oven and six decent powered burners. I'm not thrilled with the electronic control pad, but it does offer lots of nice options like timed bake, self cleaning, etc etc, which might make life nice and easy. The Cornufe is , stylistically, more in keeping with my vision. It has a 5 burner set up which I prefer to the 6 burner, and it has one high powered burner (17,000 btu's or above, I think.) No electronic gadgetry on the front to go haywire or break. I believe the oven is a bit smaller than the heartland's. And it's about $1000 more :( Do you think it's worth it?

• berf
    15 years ago

I think the 5 burner configuration would do it for me. I tend to use the same 2 big pans for a lot of my cooking and on a 4 or 6 burner range there was always "overhang" or bumping across the back without truly being able to center the pans...
    I love that center burner configuration. There aren't many ranges that offer it (if you rule out the ones with the big oval burner meant for griddles) I thought I'd miss the electronic bells and whistles a little more than I do--hasn't been a problem adjusting. I think whether or not it's worth the $1000.00 premium can only be answered by you--if you can afford it and it fits your vision better I'd go with the Cornufe. (I personally think it's the prettier of the two as well)

• mebits
    15 years ago

Put us down on the Ikea fan list too. Their rail systems are great. Actually, their long drawer pulls work well as towel hangers too. AND boy are they affordable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Blog, RehabOrDie

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I personally prefer the look of the CornuFe. Pffft for electronics.

I have a vintage 1949 range with a 16" oven, and I promise you I can bake up a storm in there. (I often wonder about these ginormous new ovens and their energy usage - don't they take forever to heat up?) At any rate this is meant to say: I certainly wouldn't let a few inches of oven space be your deciding factor. :)

Quilted stainless is an idea.
    {{!gwi}}

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, berf and circuspeanut, I feel the same way, I think I was just trying to convince myself that I could like the Heartland as much as the Cornufe. And it's true, the oven is absolutely ginormous. But as you say, circuspeanut, it probably takes forever to heat up, and would be a waste of energy most of the time (as someone on the appliance forum asked me while I was obsessing over there: "what are you planning on cooking, a moose?" lol. I love the idea of your true vintage range, circuspeanut. I wish I had it in me, but the way this renovation is going, I know my limitations.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

If the budget allows, there's no contest between the Heartland range and the Cornu Fe. The Heartland is too black, IMO.

Back to the backsplash; I like the stainless with the white subways and black hood. I really like the ceramic but only if it were done on its own (ie. the entire backsplash), however, your kitchen would then look predominantly victorian. It also may be too busy with your checkerboard floors. The range and floors should do all the talking in this kitchen so I'd keep everything else subdued.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Another vote for the stainless here, victoriajane.

Does anyone have pix of what a ss bs looks like after a few years of a good workout with a gas range, though? The photos we always see show the ss perfectly clean - I wonder about how it holds up to the heat. It wouldn't bother me personally - the kitchen is meant to be a functional space after all - but that may be another consideration for you.

The Modernaire rails are WAY more expensive than what you can get from Ikea, or Lee Valley so if you go the MA route, pick another rail.

To echo others, can't wait to see the finished product!

Eliz

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks cheri and Eliz. Eliz, good point - anyone care to share pictures of ss backsplashes with "patina" for lack of a better word? Cheri, I was thinking of the hood in stainless for the cornufe (the black hood I was picturing more with the heartland.) Would you do the hood in black for the cornufe as well?

• berf
    15 years ago

I think I'll post a separate thread with a query about "old" stainless steel backsplashes...I'm curious too!

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

You already have enough vintage look going on. What you're short on is industrial. Put me down as the "plain jane stainless" vote as well. In fact, I'd see what other industrial looking items I could find because right now, with the marble and white cabinets and wood floors, you have an overwhelming vintage type look going. YOu're going to need some very industrial looking lighting and accessories to pull off the look you're going for if you pick either one of those ranges as they both strongly echo the vintage type element rather than industrial. I think a more modern industrial looking range like a Wolf or BlueStar would actually work better for your stated vision.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

You'll never get a definitive answer from me on hood color. Fortunately, my decision to do a stainless hood was an easy one because my cabinets are fairly dark, but with painted white...I'd be going back and forth between black and stainless till who knows when. I think they'd both look great!

• mom2lilenj
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of a turn of the century commercial range. Might give a little inspiration.

If I had the money I would get it, but it is way out of my price league.

Here is a link that might be useful: Astor range

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LWO, I believe you're right, that we are tipping heavily toward vintage right now and it may be time to right the boat, so to speak. Here's another thing that occurred to me...I've been searching for a black range because in all my "best" inspiration photos, there is a black range (usually french but sometimes a black pro style like a Viking or a Bluestar) with a stainless steel backsplash and hood. Looks great, but then I realized they also have stainless steel countertops on either side of the classic range, whereas I will have soapstone. More vintage!! Maybe the french range wouldn't work in my case? I could go with a Wolf or Bluestar, and still pair it with the Modern-Aire stainless steel hood, but then what would I use for backsplash? Wouldn't ss be too much then? Plain white subway? plain white subway with utensil rack? LWO and others, care to comment?

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I don't think ss behind the range would be too much with a Wolf or Bluestar and white subway tile. I agree with LWO that you need a few more industrial elements if that's the look you're going for. Can you or your spouse do simple DIY type stuff? If so, go for the Bluestar in black, especially now that they have the white glove service (if that was available before we bought our range, I think I'd have bought a Bluestar...I want those burners!!!).

White painted cabinets, soapstone, marble, stainless steel, pro style hood and range, white subway tile, checkerboard wood floor, industrial style lights...I love this! In fact, if it weren't too late for me to switch gears, I'd do it myself.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cheri, in a parallel universe, you could have my kitchen and I would take yours...in a heartbeat. The quartersawn oak cabs and tile floor really speak to me. The only reason I didn't consider it is because the kitchen supplier our GC directed us to didn't have anything like that to show us. At any rate, I feel bad dragging everyone through this (and many previous!) threads when ultimately, it looks like a pro range may be the right call for my kitchen after all (thanks again, LWO!) But as for the backsplash...ss low back guard w/ subway tile above, high backguard w/ subway tile above, or ss completely to hood???

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Here's one from Peter Labau's New Bungalow Kitchen; it has subways all the way behind. Just for the concept:

• berf
    15 years ago

ooooooo...I just love that ledge running all the way across between the sills in that photo circuspeanut...
    I've got so many crazy little things stacked in my window already--the wishbone the kids are saving, lost pennies, etc. That ledge would be great!:)

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice words...my kitchen vision changed so completely in the year and a half it took me to finalize the layout but I never thought of combining period and industrial! I can't wait to see it when you're done.

One word of caution on the backguard...I have a DCS range all burners 15K btus and my 12" backguard is terribly scorched! (I didn't post it on berf's thread because I must confess, I didn' exhaust myself trying to clean it). I'm not repeating that mistake with the new kitchen. Instead, the range will have an island spacer and then whatever backsplash all the way to the hood. With the low spacer, you'll have enough distance between the flame and the backsplash to not scorch a stainless panel.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

good advice, cheri. So I will do the low spacer regardless of whether or not I do a ss backsplash or all subway tiles.

Great photo, circuspeanut. What kind of range is that, do you know?

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

According to the book, that range is the Rosieres Paul Bocuse cooker. It's apparently a classic model put out by a French firm, Rosieres. Looks awfully nice in black, eh?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bocuse cooker