SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Electric Fireplace: Is This Totally Gauche?

Rudebekia
16 years ago

I'm moving into a 19th century converted mansion -- a second floor condo that has wonderful architectural details but, alas, no fireplace and no possible place to vent out a gas fireplace (the living room outside walls have wonderful, huge windows but no wall space). There is an inside wall that would be a perfect size. I saw some electric fireplaces today at Menards and it got me thinking. . . There are some nice, traditional styles. But is this solution just too . . . well, fake?

Comments (44)

• Katie S
    16 years ago

The new ones are fantastic!
    And the electric fireplaces which look like coal-burners are really wonderful too!

• Related Discussions

Electric Fireplace as seen on TV?

Q

Comments (4)
    aceh, 750 watts of electric heat in any form equals 2555 btuh which could be an electric fireplace, utility heater, electric baseboard,... How the seller suggests you save money is by lowering the stat of the house heating system and heating only one room with electric. I have a 1500 watt Dimplex electric heater which looks like a cast iron stove and use it only on very cold days (Teens below zero) and looks very realistic. Stay warm! Dan Martyn
    ...See More

Totally OT, but if you need a laugh read this!

Q

Comments (6)
    First off, Happy Anniversary Bee, I'm sure DH will come up with a better gift, but really, if he came in with a taser would you not pee yourself silly! dees_1 agreed, if a man did write it, bless him for sharing, hysterical ! And really can't you see a guy doing this?! I'm cracking up just thinking about it!
    ...See More

Gas, Water, Electricity...reality is here

Q

Comments (18)
    This is an off the wall idea, but my kids and I have been playing with the idea of a compound. Haven't come up with any other definition. Buy a piece of property large enough to enjoy nature and build small log cabins, open one room spaces. The downside is cost of each for utility connections, etc. which could raise the price per unit, going over the cost of a multiliving home. Building a multiliving home was another idea with 3 separate living quarters . Each living area would be on one side of a kitchen/living room combination and have patios separating them. I guess you could call it a triplex, but it would be planned like a larger home (for code). Also buying a property that had a larger home, remodel to fit the above idea. Or find a place that already has rental units on it. The area I live in has large lots with small homes which have added small rentals in back. You don't even know the rentals exist unless looking for them. This isn't allowed now, was done before code changed years ago. We also thought of finding a place with existing cabins and upgrading, remodeling. This would eliminate a lot of code junk since they are already there. A lot of these exist in the mountains and many are only 20 min. from here. Our thoughts for this was for all being able to own a home and share the expenses/ammenities of such. And the belief it would be less expensive than 3 different properties. My legacy could be shared now instead of later. Part of our discussion came about with their concern regarding my getting older. A reality I dislike, but one that is there. I don't care how old I get, the thought of living with one of them or other options is not something I want to do. Plus they need their space and although we are family, I don't like intruding on their lives. This isn't something we would do now, thinking in 5 years. Doesn't hurt to play with the options. And possibilties in the future may be just what we are thinking.
    ...See More

Electric fireplace vs real one?

Q

Comments (19)
    Matt M, I really love that..and that's what we will probably do for the same reasons. so many of the homes I've seen have 2 and 3 fireplaces...I saw one recently that was a stack sitting out by itself in the middle of their back yard, it looked plain stupid to me..and the ones that are outside for outdoor kitchens usually in a covered patio of some sort, again...cool enough, but impractical for me..well even though that one may get used more than the one inside...it's use again, would be minimal..I can absolutely choose other things to spend our money on :)
    ...See More
  • loribee
    16 years ago

Gosh, I sure hope not. I love mine!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

There was a recent thread on electric fp's. Check it out, it was very good.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Not at all! Your new place sounds yummy, and I think a fireplace install is totally called for. :)

• syllabus
    16 years ago

There was an article just yesterday in our city paper about these! One of the people interviewed was a dealer that is getting overwhelmed by the residents in the hundreds of older, period homes in our area that have the original coal fireplaces that can't be used now. The owners are buying the electric ones & now are able to use their antiques for what they were intended for-- heat! It's also adding a lot of resale value to their homes and apartments.

Shop around as there are poor, good and better units out there. Do some research first & I think you will be happy w/ what you find. The article did stress following the manfu instructions & don't be fooled into thinking these can heat the entire house. They are best for heating the room in which they are in... which can be a small or huge space depending on the unit. None of them should be operated w/out someone in the room w/ them. Always unplug when you leave the room!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Here's pics of ours. It's a matte black finish ala the old cast iron stoves. Couple hundred $ at Lowes (we went back and forth between Lowe's and HD). The style I chose is not for everyone, but I love antiques and I love this little stove/fireplace ;) We shopped a lot (including Menards) and if you get one with a high BTU, it heats just as well as the really expensive ones from specialty stores (which had the same BTU, so really didn't put out more heat). Woke up this morning and it was 63 degrees in the family room. I turned on the FP and within a half hour it was up to 67. Much cozier!

It has a remote to turn it on/off, adjustable heat dial, flame only, heat only, or both.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I linked to a you-tube video I found, someone has taped theirs while flame is on, that's pretty much what they look like in a dark room ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: You Tube Electric Flame

• johnmari
    16 years ago

This is another situation where there are widely varying opinions and often strong ones. I don't wish to insult anyone who thinks they're wonderful but I do not care for them one bit, especially for an actual old house, since I have not yet seen a fake fireplace that wasn't obviously-to-me fake. I am admittedly a little bit of a purist when it comes to period homes but I would much prefer to see something more like skypathway's friends' solution with the vintage mantel, especially since you have all that beautiful old detailing. Many old houses have intact old mantels with the firebox bricked over, and recreating that look would be totally appropriate in a house of that period. An iron "summer cover" would create an even more convincing illusion of a real fireplace. This website has an example of what I'm talking about and a good how-to: Mantels of Yesteryear.

• susieq07
    16 years ago

Before you decided check out this website, this has been on the news and in our papers, it is awesome, and for a limited time they offer free heaters, that go into the fireplaces, I guess?? here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.heatsurge.com/amish/

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

We have a fake one (electric) and I love it. It was either no fireplace or a fake one, so I opted for a fake one. We had to get a corner unit (sigh-- DH and the TV), but had we had a normal space, I would have gotten a vintage mantel and put in an electric box. I have seen great deals on craigslist for them!

Ours DOES look fake (the flame), but the mantle adds a lot to the otherwise detail-devoid room.

Lori, I really, really love your room. Your FP looks amazing, too.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

anele, it is the same situation for me: either no fireplace or a fake one.
    Lori, I think your fireplace looks awesome! May I ask what brand it is? Also, it looks like you didn't set it flush to the wall by cutting out the wainscotting/molding, right? I've heard that others have cut this back, but I hesitate to destroy any of the molding in my new place -- it is really lovely.
    Anyone else have pics to share?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Lori, such a pretty and meticulous! room :) What is your paint color? TIA

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I just saw one Sam's club for sale and it's pretty and very ornate and traditional. Of course the flame looks fake, but it's pretty. I like the fact that you can activate the flame without heat if you want. It is only $548.

• loribee
    16 years ago

Moonshadow, how cute! :)
    Anele, Marita and Squirrel...thank you kindly!
    I believe the FP is a Heat & Glow, bought it many years ago at our local woodstove and grill shop. It was oak and I painted it white this summer when we moved to this house. No, I didn't cut back the wainscotting and I think it fits fine...House is painted BM Standish white. Good luck with your decision, Marita.

• demeron
    16 years ago

Lori, what a warm, comfie room. Do you happen to know the paint color? I think we should institute a new rule, anyone posting a photo has to reveal their paint color if they know it :)

• loribee
    16 years ago

You must have missed my answer before...
    BM Standish white~
    Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it! :)

• yborgal
    16 years ago

My neighbor doesn't need a FP for the heat; she wants one for the look of it. She's having a mantle installed on a blank wall and building out the side trim so that the distance of the side columns from the wall is about 18" and the mantle depth is about 24". Then she's having a raised shallow floor space inside this FP built up so she can insert a FP candlepiece that holds votive candles. She also plans on installing a FP screen to make it look more authentic.
    I haven't seen the finished product but the drawings sure look good.

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

marita, do you want it for the heat or the look?

If it's just the look you're after, I would agree with sky and others to just get an appropriately-styled old mantel and decorate it. If your condo retains its original architectural details, a new electric piece may stick out like a sore thumb. If you go the electric route, make sure it's returnable if you don't like the way it looks.

• demeron
    16 years ago

So embarrassed, Loribee! Forgive me, ADD :)

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Honestly, I didn't know until yesterday when I saw them at Menards that electric fireplaces give off heat. I thought they were merely decorative. Frankly, the idea of heat is extremely attractive here in the frozen north (Minnesota) where additional heat sources -- when one is chilled to the bone or when the furnace fails--are always good to have. so the heat is a plus to me. What I'm learning, I think, is that one can go expensive or cheap in electric fireplaces, and that the expensive ones might be worth it in terms of not looking so "fake." I'd still love to hear from others about brands to check out and pictures, if you have them,are really welcome!

• loribee
    16 years ago

Demeron...LOL. :)

Marita, my sitting room is small, so on a bitterly cold day, it's nice to have the warming feature. I wouldn't expect it to heat up a huge space, though. I think it's $500 well spent, honestly.

• User
    16 years ago

I love mine too. It's upstairs in our attic-converted bedroom, and it gives off tons of heat.
    {{!gwi}}

• Molly Brown
    16 years ago

Someone....I watched the youtube thing...what makes it look like flames if it's electric????

• mrsc
    16 years ago

We recently got one for xmas. It's also an entertainment center. I don't mind that it's faux. It still gives the warmth & cozy feeling of a FP. The remote control is convenient. Some has crackling sounds. And I have woodburning scented candles.

Lori & Auntjen, thanks for sharing your photos. It really enchances your beautiful rooms!

I don't have my pics yet. Mine is Classic Flame. Dimplex has some pretty styles too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Flame

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

My mom bought an electric log set for her real fireplace in her 1940's home. She had wanted a gas set, but it would have been quite expensive to get the gas line in there. When I first saw it I assumed that it was a gas unit, as the flames look so real.

• rilie
    16 years ago

I'm seriously considering one when we do some work to our FR. Gas is not an option. When the time comes, I'm going to look into the Dimplex models. Although I haven't seen them in person yet, the ones on their website appear very nice.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rilie, I've looked at the Dimplex ones online, too. The "multiflame" is highly rated as the most realistic flame look one can get right now. But, sigh, they are pricey -- up to 2,000.

• msjay2u
    16 years ago

I am a Property Appraiser and I have seen plenty electric fireplaces put in new homes by the builder. They are very popular in Florida. I guess they are cheaper than traditional fireplaces.

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

I will post pictures of ours tomorrow, but to make it look more realistic, I am going to get a pretty screen and a hearth rug. I think those accessories will go a long way!

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I will get the name of the place our architectural firm uses for fireplaces for you tomorrow. They have great looking ventless gas fireplaces as well as direct vent and natural vent ones.

• lafilmfan
    16 years ago

All the ones I've seen look fake to me too. Maybe I'm just not seeing the "good ones?" To avoid the fake looking thing, I've just wanted to put in an electric stove insert that looks like an old stove, i.e. a Franklin stove. You know the kind that you don't see the flames? Has anyone seen anything like this?

I've thought about buying one with the "flames" and then just painting or in some way "darkening" the glass cover so that you can't tell if it's fake or not. A lame idea?

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

marita: I was cleaning out files and found the paperwork on ours from Lowe's. It doesn't say it on the unit (at least that I can find), but paperwork says it's a Dimplex. Lowe's doesn't have our particular model stove style anymore, but they do have another that's Dimplex. (Don't know why Lowe's site doesn't mention the Dimplex name on the stove, because they do on the Fireplaces. Anyway, the stove currently at Lowe's is identical, and same model #, as Dimplex site). Our little stove is about 5000 BTU, same as high end ones at Dimplex site. Also has the remote control, flame only, heat and flame. So the 'guts' are the same, it's just the packaging that differs and impacts the cost ;)

• loribee
    16 years ago

What did you finally decide, Marita???

• Molly Brown
    16 years ago

But what makes it look like flames if it's electric? Flames would have to shoot up into the air a little to look real. How is it done??

• dixiedo
    16 years ago

We have one in our MB. Our ceilings are very high, and there was virtually no heat left around our bed!! I love the way it looks, I turn on the heat when we put the kids to put and by the time we go up it is cozy and wonderful! The flames seem to "roll" up, for lack of a better word... not too cheesy, but not as good as Disney =)

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

elenkao, I just opened the door on mine (why it opens, I don't know, but it does ;)

Here's a detailed description of it when the flame is on: The 'logs' have the orange-red glow lights beneath them to give the illusion of embers. They've done a good job with that part, it looks hot to the touch ;) Behind the logs is a 'smoked' mirror. It's dark gray and doesn't reflect till your hand is within inches of it. (It does reflect the logs to some degree, because they are backed right up to it.) The mirror is covered it tiny little dots as well, almost a vinyl like material. (These are not pronounced, they are barely visible.) Some how, some way, there are lights that create the flame, they look to be behind the mirror. So maybe it's not a mirror in the true sense, because it has a translucent quality to it, not like a regular mirror. The lights must be programmed to turn on and off in a pattern that creates the illusion of flickering flames. They go high and low, wide and narrow, flicker and dance. Much like a crackling fire would. It it not flat in appearance but rather has dimension (probably has something to do with the 'smoke and mirrors' ;).

I dunno how they did it. All I know is we needed some extra heat in that room, had looked into vented fireplaces but opted out of that for several reasons (one is the room layout, L shaped, hard enough to arrange furniture in a cozy seating pattern, a fireplace would have been orphaned in the corner or on other end of the L, away from seating.) The stove fit every need: small enough to fit in to the seating area in a corner, looked realistic, and most of all cranks out the heat ;) This is a lower level room, and like dixiedo's, most of our heat is at the ceiling because the registers and cold air returns are all up there. (Stupid layout.)

Anyway, we enjoy it, it gives a nice ambiance to the room. In the evening watching TV if we don't need the heat I'll often turn the flame feature on just for that reason. Even DH will do that and he's not the ambiance type ;)

I do recall some of the ones at Lowes and HD were plugged in so we could see the flame.

At the page below there is a paragraph about all the patents Dimplex has (lots) on their electric flame, and I also noticed there are several other brands sold under the Dimplex name.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Dimplex

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I appreciate the fact that this thread is still active, and I hope others post pictures. I haven't made a decision yet because I haven't moved into my new place. The closing is next week! It will probably still take me a few weeks to settle in and then see whether I really want to make this purchase. In the meantime, I've been steered more toward Classic Flame than Dimplex. According to at least some, including a couple salespeople at HOM Furniture (where I've seen them on display and lighted) they are sold on the furniture quality of Classic Flame over Dimplex. Seeing several models side by side, I have to agree. But I'm still doing my homework here!

• susieq07
    16 years ago

We have our 2 elec. fireplaces over 30 yrs. now and they are timeless, as we moved from home to home, everyone who looked at our home wanted our fireplaces...no way we'd say not for sale not staying with the house! the one in our master suite is wonderful for chilly florida winter nights, it really put's out heat, we close the door no need to heat the rest of the house for a night or 2.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

Elen, it's a hologram. Not all are the same though. We had a non hologram one which I was fine with and a hologram one that DH loved. The non hologram did look a lot less real. DH got a wild hair and decided we HAD to get another hologram one to replace the non hologram one. We will put the other fireplace at the cottage.

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

Marita, we have a Classic Flame. I just looked at the Dimplex video and for the $, it doesn't look that much better than ours in terms of realism.

I think our fire does look a bit cheesy, but like I said before, it was this or nothing, so we picked this. I love it! Our was not cheap (for us- $640) but it is cheap comparatively. I also REALLY love the heat!

Here is ours-- will look better once it is finally decorated!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

There are some fake fireplaces that will come close to the older home decor. I have a gel fireplace that has really come in handy when the power is out. I normally use 2 cans, but when the power is out, I burn 3 and it really can run you out of the room. The flame looks very real and it does crackle. I have recently remodeled and will replace the one that I have with a one closer to the new decor. The gel ones are really similar to the elcetric ones. I've had nothing but compliment. As you say, fake is better than nothing if you really want one.

Good luck!

gng

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Thank goodness this post came back!

Our architecture firm uses Vermont Castings fireplaces which come in gas, electric and wood burning groups. Great looking styles!

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric fireplaces!

• memlane25
    16 years ago

I'm not sure if you're still trying to decide. We faced a similar dilemma when we wanted to use an antique oak mantel. Because we had other fireplaces, we were more concerned with "looks" rather than heat. We love the fireplace. I particularly enjoy that you can use it with or without heat.

• knoll
    15 years ago

I don't know if you're still looking - but I just went through all of the research for a new insert and thought I'd share to help anyone else.

Dimplex is by far the best flame out there. Classic Flame may have better mantels (I wouldn't know), but Dimplex has very good ones, too.

I bought the Dimplex 23" DELUXE insert for an old gel fuel mantel. My husband had to build a "firebox" for it to go into, as the gel fuel box had to be removed. I tried every gel fuel on the market and they ALL smell. We'd get headaches & insence wouldn't mask the odor.

I also own a

we bought at Home Depot - a little one to fit in a tight space in the living room. Not very realistic, but we bought it as a Christmas decoration and ended up just keeping it up!

After I bought the Dimplex (and a Kracklebox sound system) I found the Classic Flame Fire F/X - their high-end fire effect. Cool features, but the flame looked about as good as the $100 Charmglow. We all agreed that it didn't hold a candle (pun intended) to the Dimplex.

We want to get a new one for the living room - get rid of the huge old tv, put up a mantel and a flat screen - so I've narrowed it down to a or the new Dimplex Optimyst - which uses water vapor to produce the most realistic effect EVER! (See Video)

Either way - take it from someone who has seen both Dimplex & Classic Flame up close - Dimplex blows everything else away.

I would recommend a Dimplex MultiFire insert and find an antique mantel to mount around it. If you want cheaper - do as I did and get the 23" Deluxe insert - it only cost $400 total with the Kracklebox.

I'm including a link to a video of my new Dimplex fireplace insert. (And no - I don't work for Dimplex, LOL!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dimplex 23